• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OOMT - Tottenham Hotspur V Boro

THEY kicked each other for a decade in La Liga, sharing tough games and dodgy barnets along the way.

Aitor Karanka and Mauricio Pochettino then spent time together in the classroom, forging a genuine bond.

REUTERS
Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka won the Champions League three times with Real Madrid

GETTY IMAGES
Mauricio Pochettino played 10 seasons with Espanyol and later managed the club
Now at the Riverside today, they send their forces into action against each other for the first time.

Middlesbrough manager Karanka said: “I’m looking forward to seeing him.

“But after the ref blows the whistle, we are not friends — just for 90 minutes.”

In a sense, it is back to where it all started. Then they were two centre-halves, both at the peak of their powers.

They first tackled each other in 1994, with Karanka scoring a rare goal — the first of only four in his career — for Athletic Bilbao in a 3-1 defeat to a long-haired Pochettino’s Espanyol.

And their final clash ten years later saw Poch, then in his second stint with Espanyol, put one into his own net.

Yet his side again beat Bilbao, who Karanka rejoined after five years at Real Madrid.

The duo would go from rivals to class-mates in 2007, when they did their coaching badges together in Madrid and became pals. But they were soon competing against each other again as Pochettino returned to Espanyol to be a boss in 2009, a year before Karanka went back to Real as No 2 to Jose Mourinho.

The Argentinian and Spaniard even made the move to England in the same year, with Poch taking the Southampton reins in January 2013, just ten months before Karanka was installed at then-Championship Boro.

Karanka, 43, recalled: “We did our course together and we have a really good relationship.

“I also remember playing a lot against each other and he was a really good and typical Argentinian central defender.

“He was really successful in Spain and now he’s really successful as a coach. His character and his knowledge about football is very good.

“Last season he was in the battle for the title and this season I think he is again, because they have improved their squad.”

REUTERS
Karanka revealed the pair became friends after doing a coaching course together
Poch added: “We have a very good relationship. He was a centre-back and I was too. He was a very good player.

“I think after two years they got promotion to the Prem which is a fantastic job.”

Spurs go into the match still unbeaten in the league while Karanka, brought up on winning as a player, accepts it will be tough for Boro in the big time again. But he added: “I never like to lose.

“I don’t want to go to this game and say, ‘It’s OK because it was Tottenham’. I want to win.

“When I went home every day this week, I’ve thought about our last defeat to Everton. When I analysed the game, I saw the mistakes. It’s my job to correct them.”

Spurs announced yesterday right-back Kyle Walker, 26, is the latest star to sign a new contract after agreeing to stay until 2021.

He follows on from Christian Eriksen, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Danny Rose and Mousa Dembele — with Jan Vertonghen set to be next.

PA:pRESS ASSOCIATION
Pochettino revealed his ultimate target was to win the Premier League
Poch, 44, added: “The message is to win titles and show commitment and they are happy to be part of this project.

“That is the big message from them all. Always it is important to have stability and the players show their commitment to achieve big things.

“We need to provide the key players with a solid project and not need to convince them.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...ead-to-head-after-10-years-clashing-in-spain/

Poch has his work cut out to figure out how to use the squad for 3 big important games in a week - 'boro - CSKA away - Emirates Marketing Project.

You could argue that the 'boro game is the 'easiest' and therefore the one that will have the weakest line up. With full strength teams for CSKA and City before the international break.

But then again the intl break could be the reason why he could choose a full strength team for all 3 matches.

Dier, Dembele, Walker all felt muscle issues against palace so may not survive 3 games in a week.

However i'm not worried at all as i feel our squad is strong enough to cope.

I'd go with:

Lloris
Trippier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Wanyama - Dembele
Sissoko - Alli - Son
Janssen
Save Lamela, Eriksen, Walker and Dier for Moscow and City. Just hope Dembele can survive the 3 games.

The international break is a break from real football for us fans, but for a lot of our players it's not a break at all. Long travels for quite a few, a lot of pressure to impress and playing for managers who won't be making a priority of keeping our players injury free.

Just the travelling with trips to Middlesbrough, Moscow, back to London, then away for the internationals... Two games perhaps for some of our players then back just in time for the WBA game.

I wouldn't move Alli back. I thought that he really struggled there against Monaco and we were a lot less effective as a result. If Dier and Dembele are out, I would go for Winks.

Agreed. Though Winks looked very good in the Gillingham game. Big step up to a PL game, but we need creativity in that role and it's not looking like Alli best role at the moment.

While Sissoko has looked bright I don't agree that he has done enough yet to justify starting ahead of Lamela, one of our most consistent performers since the start of last season. I would use him as a sub to come on and run at teams when they tire.

I think perhaps Lamela playing the full game against Gillingham could be an indicator that he will be on the bench for this one. I agree that Sissoko hasn't done enough to deserve a start ahead of him, but Son has looked very bright so far. An attacking midfield trio of Eriksen, Alli and Son makes sense to me, with Lamela (and perhaps Sissoko) to be given a start away in Moscow if we want to rotate.

----------------

Will be very interesting to see how Pochettino handles this. Last season he seemed fairly reluctant to rotate, until the end of our EL run where he changed the whole team more than rotate. We have more options this season and several players who need/deserve game time.

Lloris
Trippier Alderweireld Wimmer Vertonghen
Wanyama Winks
Sissoko Alli Son
Jansen
id go for something similar to that and expect it to be able to come away with 3 points

A hard game today against a very well organised side who defend very well.
Not a game to rest players. IMHO.

coys1.jpg

So, when is a good game to rest players? CSKA or Emirates Marketing Project ?

It's is going to be interesting to see how Poch handles the next week, I think that we're going to learn a lot about how he views the squad and will use them this season. Like @braineclipse, I wonder whether we will see "soft rotation" with two or three changes for each game.

They are usually quite cautious and like to gain control first, not so easy in EPL as Karanka has found out...
Mate is a boro fan said Karanka in the local press has been saying now they have found their feet in the PL it's time to now attack especially at home

As with any league, it could be a tough game. Hope we start quicker than our previous games, as in it looks like we are a terrible footballing team for the first 15 mins recently (apart from Sunderland and Gillingham)

It's is going to be interesting to see how Poch handles the next week, I think that we're going to learn a lot about how he views the squad and will use them this season. Like @braineclipse, I wonder whether we will see "soft rotation" with two or three changes for each game.

I agree with a 'soft rotation' policy that rests two or three players every game. We now have the squad to do so without a material drop off in standard IMO. We certainly shouldn't be fielding any player that isn't 100%.

OS team:
Lloris (C)
Walker - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Wanyama - Alli
Sissoko - Eriksen - Son
Janssen
Subs:
Vorm
Carter-Vickers
Trippier
Wimmer
Winks
Nkoudou
Lamela​

So Alli as one of the two? Interesting.

Given Poch signed Sissoko, leaving us with Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Sissoko and Nkoudou (so 6 senior players, plus 2 young players (Onomah and Edwards)) for the 3 positions behind the CF rather than signing another CM to cover Dembele, I think its safe to assume that Poch views Alli as much as a CM as a no 10

Back