• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OOMT: Spurs vs Woolwich Nomads

I think we are right to feel slightly glum over yesterday 10 men and all that, but to be honest 'there is now truly nothing between the two teams!'

Just think about that for a moment. Considering the difference in resources, that is no mean feat!

COYS

Exactly - at the moment we are massively overachieving whereas they are underachieving -

Despite having two 45 million quid players we are neck and neck with them...

I'd agree about Anderton but for the life of me I can't remember Ginola crossing many times and not until he''d f***** about with the ball for a while. I'm sure Sherringham would have about 20 more goals if the ball had come in first time.

He did like to showboat.

Exactly - at the moment we are massively overachieving whereas they are underachieving -

Despite having two 45 million quid players we are neck and neck with them...

not too mention that the average wage of their starters is double that of our highest

Considering the difference in resources, that is no mean feat!

And what a contribution Pochettino has made... did he get a chant yesterday?
Yes, he did. The "Pochettino's blue and white army (Yids)" from which his name may not always be clear, and the fairly new "He's magic, Mauricio Pochettino" which hasn't really widely caught on, perhaps because the tune seems a bit hit-and-miss (to me). Hopefully we will get something that resonates because he deserves it.

While it hurt to watch that equalizer go in - and concerning to see Ramsey get that last minute chance - I try to keep the result and our circumstances in perspective. If any of us had been offered our current situation before the season, it would have been accepted in a heartbeat.

But big picture thinking, we've put a huge dent into the Popguns title hopes. Given the current gap in resources, that in itself is immensely satisfying. Even more so that we sit three points up and enjoy a superior goal difference.

They are eight points and five goals down to Leicester today. Their dreadful loss to Swansea only emphasized the notion that they aren't the sort of team to get excited about playing the mundane games against lesser sides. They get all lofty about playing top CL clubs, yet it almost seems like it's a chore beneath them to play Swansea or WBA or Southampton. They're expected to win and if they don't win well enough, their fans get bitchy.

It's only when something as electric as the NLD comes along that they rise to the occasion. Well, if that's what it takes to properly motivate them, then they'll win nothing but Piers macaron's scorn.

Five points back, we're not out of this yet. A shame on Sunday that Dembele wasn't a game or two further along in his return from injury. That could have been all the difference. But he's back after a short spell out. Mason is back, too, and they'll both have more to give moving forward. Perhaps giving Eriksen a little down time would help refresh him as well. He's been a tireless runner so far and we can beat Aston Villa without him.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost out to Dortmund. Win that tie and our next round of games is sandwiched around games with Liverpool away and ManU at home. If we're going to win the league, or ensure our CL placing in the table, those are games we can't lose. Not having the EL would simplify the process greatly. I might have thought differently had we beaten West Ham, but there's a real need to maintain strong pursuit of Leicester and preserve the lead we have over fourth place.

Yes, he did. The "Pochettino's blue and white army (Yids)" from which his name may not always be clear, and the fairly new "He's magic, Mauricio Pochettino" which hasn't really widely caught on, perhaps because the tune seems a bit hit-and-miss (to me). Hopefully we will get something that resonates because he deserves it.

Not a fan of that magic one tbh

Had a day to reflect on things. Thoughts in general are:

It was 100% a missed opportunity. We really needed to beat them at home, given our harder run in. Throwing away a lead at home to ten men was inexcusable.

Poch got the substitutions wrong unfortunately. Jol and AVB were the worst culprits of taking the foot off the gas when we had an opponent on the ropes, and Poch made that mistake yesterday by taking off Lamela for Mason. Lamela looked like he was about to get sent off but it should have been Son who came on for him to keep the pressure on and get the killer third goal.

I am so grateful that Lloris even joined Tottenham, let alone that he inexplicably stuck with us through all the brick of around 2013-14 despite being far too good for us. But...he's cost us four points against Arsenal this season. Four points that could be absolutely crucial in this title race.

Arsenal came to play for a draw and got what they wanted. Just look at their team selection. They set up like Leicester, trying to soak up the pressure and then hit long balls up to the pace of Sanchez and Wellbeck to counter. Most of the times when they got forward but we had men back, they had absolutely nothing and couldn't get near our goal. Believe Ramsey's goal was their first attempt of the match, right before half time. Arsenal over the last 20 years have been characterised by attractive, attacking football, based on maintaining possession and quick one touch passing, but yesterday was more like watching them under Graham.

Dier should have been sent off. I don't believe we've had a red card all season? But then again, Coquelin should have had two extra bookings before he actually did, firstly for a foul that went unpunished and then for running over to the Tottenham fans by himself to goad us when they scored (when he was already on a yellow). Bellerin also should have been shown a second yellow.

At one point I thought Eriksen was the best set-piece taker in the league. But they've been horrendous for months now. Needs to improve.

Thought the Arsenal fans were pathetic. Almost completely silent apart from just after they'd scored.

I think it's going to be very very difficult to win the league now. Leicester will slip up at some point, but it looks as though we're going to have to win at least two of the games against Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea. Given that we didn't even score against any of them in the first half of the season and have only won one of the corresponding three fixtures in the past 15 years, I'm not exactly confident of doing that...

What makes past corresponding fixtures relevant with the three teams mentioned above?

This is a whole new Spurs squad and a whole new mentality to go with it. What happened before is no guide to what will lie ahead. Players on either side might be injured, nursing niggles or mentally adrift due to all sorts of factors.

Or absolutely buzzing after an exhilarating two-day threesome with London's lithest, limberest and loveliest pole dancers. I thought I saw Guus Hiddink with a spring in his step at a promotion with the Yokohama girls.

It really is all about nothing more than the next game.

What makes past corresponding fixtures relevant with the three teams mentioned above?

This is a whole new Spurs squad and a whole new mentality to go with it. What happened before is no guide to what will lie ahead. Players on either side might be injured, nursing niggles or mentally adrift due to all sorts of factors.

Or absolutely buzzing after an exhilarating two-day threesome with London's lithest, limberest and loveliest pole dancers. I thought I saw Guus Hiddink with a spring in his step at a promotion with the Yokohama girls.

It really is all about nothing more than the next game.

It really is ( Thursday) and I hope we do not take the easy way out ( as some fans are suggesting) and name a weakened side.

It's really funny seeing people slagging off the team. Had Lloris caught the Sanchez shot, or that freak Ramsey backheel gone harmlessly wide, everyone would be saying how great this team is, how they know to bounce back and win the big games, etc etc. One bad/lucky bounce and all of a sudden we're brick.

Let's not forget who we were playing. It's the Scum. Even with 10 men, they're still better than most teams with 11. And on any given day, even more so in a NLD, they can bring their A game and make life miserable for their opponents, even if they're "off form." And if you look at the final stats, we had 21 shots to their 6, and 9 corners to their 2. I know stats don't mean much, but it does put in perspective what some people are calling the "worst performance of the year."

So let's relax, sit back, and look at what the team has done in its totality over the season before pulling our hair about how we're not made of the right stuff.

I don't think I've ever felt this bad in my life. Not from football anyway. I feel like I'll never get over this. I just feel like dying.

When I'm 90 and lying on my death bed, I will think about this game. "In 2016, Spurs had the chance to win the league, and we blew it in a game against Arsenal when we were 2-1 up against ten men and still messed it up." We'll never get another chance like this in my lifetime, I am sure of it.
We didn't blow it in the game against the Scum. If we blew anything it was in the games against Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Swansea and Stoke. This was a NLD, where any result is possible, no matter what the form of the teams is. But you just take that Leicester game at home and reverse the result and we'd still be at the top of the table, even if we had lost both the NLD and Spam games. So let's not go OTT over one game, and a NLD at that.

Last edited:
We didn't blow it in the game against the Scum. If we blew anything it was in the games against Leicester and Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Swansea and Stoke. This was a NLD, where any result is possible, no matter what the form of the teams is. But you just take that Leicester game at home and reverse the result and we'd still be at the top of the table, even if we had lost both the NLD and Spam games. So let's not go OTT over one game, and a NLD at that.

Right, but the funny (and perhaps ironic) thing is, at the time, people were also insisting that going OTT over all those particular games was unnecessary, and that 'it was just one game'.

Those sorts of things build up. I'm not one to indulge in flights of fantasy over the league title, but if we had any intentions of winning it, then absolute giveaways like the ones against Leicester, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Swansea and Stoke shouldn't have been excused as easily as they were then, and given that these things build up, the gresult on the weekend shouldn't be excused as easily now because 'it was the NLD'. We put ourselves in that position, after all, by insisting that individual setbacks weren't important, which gradually built up to the NLD becoming a must-win in terms of the title.

Purely theoretical assertion, of course: in the real world, there are any number of perfectly legitimate reasons for why we weren't able to see out or secure those games. And for those of us impressed by the exploits of our young (and cheap) side, it doesn't matter too much anyway, since even securing an automatic CL spot and/or finishing ahead of Arsenal is a fantastic achievement in and of itself. But it is important to note: in the future, perhaps, when we are better suited to an assault on the title with better players on higher wages (via the stadium), slip-ups cannot be seen as minor affairs not worth going OTT over, because by themselves they become important later on when we look back and wonder why we're falling short.

Right, but the funny (and perhaps ironic) thing is, at the time, people were also insisting that going OTT over all those particular games was unnecessary, and that 'it was just one game'.

Those sorts of things build up. I'm not one to indulge in flights of fantasy over the league title, but if we had any intentions of winning it, then absolute giveaways like the ones against Leicester, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Swansea and Stoke shouldn't have been excused as easily as they were then, and given that these things build up, the gresult on the weekend shouldn't be excused as easily now because 'it was the NLD'. We put ourselves in that position, after all, by insisting that individual setbacks weren't important, which gradually built up to the NLD becoming a must-win in terms of the title.

Purely theoretical assertion, of course: in the real world, there are any number of perfectly legitimate reasons for why we weren't able to see out or secure those games. And for those of us impressed by the exploits of our young (and cheap) side, it doesn't matter too much anyway, since even securing an automatic CL spot and/or finishing ahead of Arsenal is a fantastic achievement in and of itself. But it is important to note: in the future, perhaps, when we are better suited to an assault on the title with better players on higher wages (via the stadium), slip-ups cannot be seen as minor affairs not worth going OTT over, because by themselves they become important later on when we look back and wonder why we're falling short.
I, for one, was ruing the Stoke and Swansea (and even Everton) results way back when. I didn't even consider back then that they might be the difference in winning the title. I was thinking of maaaybe the difference in making top 4. But every game counts and a win is 3 points, whether it's against Villa or the Scum. To lose so many points when you're clearly the better team doesn't give you the luxury of an off, or semi-off, day. If we had converted those draws into wins and even just gotten a draw with Leicester at home, we'd still be 4 points clear after yesterday's result and this match would have gotten at best a "meh" reaction.

But such is football and the best team doesn't always win in an individual match. Let's hope it does over the course of a whole season.

I, for one, was ruing the Stoke and Swansea (and even Everton) results way back when. I didn't even consider back then that they might be the difference in winning the title. I was thinking of maaaybe the difference in making top 4. But every game counts and a win is 3 points, whether it's against Villa or the Scum. To lose so many points when you're clearly the better team doesn't give you the luxury of an off, or semi-off, day. If we had converted those draws into wins and even just gotten a draw with Leicester at home, we'd still be 4 points clear after yesterday's result and this match would have gotten at best a "meh" reaction.

But such is football and the best team doesn't always win in an individual match. Let's hope it does over the course of a whole season.

Oh, I'm not singling you out or anything. There were loads of people on both sides: those who despaired at our forfeiture of easy points, and those who wanted to overlook them and move on. Your logical consistency does you credit in that regard. But on the whole, if we are to someday make the jump to the title-chasing mentality, then we will need to learn to expect much more, and be less easily satisfied. In some cases, that's seen as too harsh, or jarring, or glory-hunting, or unfair on the players and/or staff. But that's the title-winning mentality that separates the perennial contenders from the rest.

Part of that is recognizing lost opportunities, and stemming them in the bud before they collectively resolve themselves into a must-win game like the NLD. But of course, that's for another time, imo: this team isn't one that we should *expect* to challenge for the title, or even (considering what it cost to build it and the relatively shallow depth in key areas) consistently make the top four. That's what makes our current over-achievement enjoyable and praiseworthy by itself.

But one day, we will need to have this conversation again. Hopefully that day comes within my lifetime: I figure I've got about half a century if the gods are kind and fate is favorable....and I'd really like to see us lift the title at least once before I push off. :)

Was too gutted to post about the game on Saturday or Sunday. When we scored that 2nd goal, the ground went apebrick like I had never seen it before, it honestly felt like we were going to win the league. Then they scored. My gut feeling is that we let a massive opportunity go and we let the title slip through our fingers. I fully accept that football is fickle and we could very well be top within a couple of weeks. But I'm still a bit worried about the teams below us also, it's been such an unpredictable season, who's to say we won't get overtaken by at least one of the teams below us.

Was a typical North London derby, the game was played at a relentless pace. Scum scored with their first attack which is typical scum. Why the fudge are they allowed to wind up our fans when they score, but whenever Chadli or VDV so much as looks at their fans and puts their finger to their lips they get booked?!

A draw at the start of the game wouldn't have been the end of the world, but given how we took the lead against a 10 man scum side low on confidence in front of 33,000 baying Spurs fans, if it was at their place, you could have understood us wilting playing in front of their fans getting behind them. I came away feeling grateful that we didn't lose considering Ramsey was clean through right at the end.

Not angry or annoyed, just gutted.

We now can't be relegated. Worst position now 16th.

To quote Mister Cheeky .... "Always look on the bright side of life!"

Onwards and upwards !!

I honestly think if they had gone two up and we came back to draw we would be talking about it differently although about the same result

The problem is the way the game swung... We had the hughs and lows in pretty much a 15 minute period

The reality is that we're where we are because of the quality we have have and the results we have got - not the results we didnt take. There are loads of games where we can point to slip ups that cost us points but we can't do anything about them now.

Two things for me that I said before the game. We don't lose games back to back so we won't lose this, Arsenal haven't lost 3 league games back to back in wengers reign (I may be wrong) so I can't see that starting now as this side is better than plenty I've seen before for them.

During the game I also said that we haven't conceded more than two to any all season and they won't get more ... So once Kane scored I was comfortable we wouldn't lose but I did naturally expect a win.

I'm a positive fan and most of my mates are negative and before the game they were very much "we will win this and not need to look down the table". We cannot ignore anyone in this league as proven by our result vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine and arses vs Swansea. We need to focus on our games and if results and see where that leaves us after 38 games

Honestly ... They had nothing to lose so pushed further forward. They made sub to bring on another striker ut also ousted Sanchez up front

They then moved Ramsey central rather than wide and pushed Bellerin forward as a wing back style

Sounds like very good tactics tbf to Wenger....who'd have thought it from Wenger:eek:

I wonder what @Neymar would have made of it..?

Today is Monday and yes the result could have been better. However looking at the stats and the table, we will be fine. Finishing in the top two is still in our hands.

Back