• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OOMT: Spurs vs Woolwich Nomads

Seems strange that we always seem to catch sides, just as they are coming into form and our rivals play them when they are struggling.

It's one of those factors that really makes a difference over a season, yet is little talked about. I seem to remember United being extremely lucky with this the last time they won the league, always seemed to catch teams while they were in a rut.

Hmmm, still trying to digest my thoughts about this game...

Went to WHL hoping to be one of the lucky few to get to watch a Spurs team go top of the league (it was back in the 1960s the last time we topped the table in the latter half of a season) and for a few minutes it looked like it might happen.

You did but for 13 mins haha

I feel like us and the Goons are sort of taking each other out a bit which will allow Leicester to win the whole bloody thing.

well, the upside to this is the Nomads not winning it, which would simply be unbearable.

Still gutted about this, can't help but feel we've let this slip through our fingers under the circumstances. A draw in this game wasn't a disaster, but going 2-1 up, against 10 men with 20 mins left, it feels like a disaster! I feel we've lost momentum this week and it will cost us, even though other teams haven't really taken advantage of our slip up.

It seems like Walker's crosses are more dangerous when he just shoots into the box (ref the Lamela deflection that could've gone in in the first half) - he should just do that instead of trying to cross, as he seems to be vaccinated from completing a cross. I agree regarding our corners - I can't for the life of me understand why Eriksen still takes them (or why he takes them so badly). Lamela should whip them in.

As a general thing though, I think we've been pretty woeful in this area (corners & crosses) for many years now. I've gone past focussing on specific players at fault, because it just never seems to improve no matter how many players we turn over. Off the top of my head I think you have to go back to the days of Ginola, Anderton etc to find players who possessed consistent quality in this regard.

As a general thing though, I think we've been pretty woeful in this area (corners & crosses) for many years now. I've gone past focussing on specific players at fault, because it just never seems to improve no matter how many players we turn over. Off the top of my head I think you have to go back to the days of Ginola, Anderton etc to find players who possessed consistent quality in this regard.
How often would you expect us to score from a cross? Once every 30 crosses? 40? 50?

Having said all this, Arsenal fans celebrating a draw against us like they've won the league, how the roles have reversed. We outplayed them at their's and was dissapointed with only a point then too.

Who out of us can remember the 1996-2010 period where we basically never beat them.

Or the 2000-2007 period when we literally never beat them...!

Last edited:
How often would you expect us to score from a cross? Once every 30 crosses? 40? 50?

It's not so much the conversion rate i'm referring to, more the general observable quality of our balls into the box - how often do they tamely fail to clear the first defender? Very often I'd suggest. I don't know, maybe it's as simple as being a result of the lighter balls these days, but thinking back and taking Anderton as an example - now there was a player who could deliver a cross. Who could you say that about since him?

It's not so much the conversion rate i'm referring to, more the general observable quality of our balls into the box - how often do they tamely fail to clear the first defender? Very often I'd suggest. I don't know, maybe it's as simple as being a result of the lighter balls these days, but thinking back and taking Anderton as an example - now there was a player who could deliver a cross. Who could you say that about since him?
On the basis that (even for teams set up that way) fewer than 1 in 50 crosses are scored directly, I think it's of negligible importance compared to improving our ability to press, keep the ball, commit the opponent to losing shape, etc.

Crosses excite the crowd (in this country anyway) but they do little damage to the scoreboard.

I'd agree about Anderton but for the life of me I can't remember Ginola crossing many times and not until he''d f***** about with the ball for a while. I'm sure Sherringham would have about 20 more goals if the ball had come in first time.

I don't think the title will be the stroll for Leicester a lot of people are predicting.
They still have to play West Ham, Southampton, Man U, Chelsea and Everton. Can't see them not dropping points against all those.

Just checking back 24 hours later. We still didn't win, did we?

Still can't believe we didn't win. Trying to rationalise it given our season long consistency, fantastic team spirit and excellent fitness. Yes Arsenal had to come at us and got their break but how did we not absolutely ruin them with the man advantage? How did we not exploit it? Where did we go wrong?

I just can't believe it. I really thought we were the best team in the league but given how we didn't win yesterday I can no longer say it. Not even just that we were unlucky, Arsenal looked the more likely with ten men...

And why? I can't rationalise it in any way that means we will still win the league. Maybe usual rules go out the window in a derby. Maybe it was so loud that the players couldn't communicate properly and apply the system. But I just can't believe we let it happen, and I can't believe we didn't win.

Although...only thing I can liken it to that gives me some hope...the 4-4 at the Emirates. We were rubbish then. We didn't play that well. We'd just sacked Ramos. But we got that equaliser having been 2 or 3 down. They were clearly better than us but the quality equalised because of the derby.

Hopefully this gives them false confidence that gets exploited by who they have next and we now regain our consistency having got through two tough derbies. The other thing is that we also didn't best Chelsea this year at home, despite the players clearly having stopped playing for Jose. Maybe we really can write this off as a derby freak and still win the league.

Thats my last hope.

Obviously disappointing not to win when we're 2-1 up against 10 men. The joy of the turnaround and the deflation of the equalizer... Could barely believe we didn't win it...

Though our performance overall was good, we were quite clearly the better team on the pitch. They scored from their first real chance and had a short spell of looking better, but overall we clearly edged it.
Couple of individual performances that weren't quite up to scratch. But it's kind of to be expected in a huge NLD mid fixture congestion and title challenge.

Far from giving up our title hopes.

I think we are right to feel slightly glum over yesterday 10 men and all that, but to be honest 'there is now truly nothing between the two teams!'

Just think about that for a moment. Considering the difference in resources, that is no mean feat!

COYS

Back