• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berbatov

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Gascoigne

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Greaves

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Lineker

• Mackay

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Perryman

• Other (name 'em)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
The number of times Lennon and especially Bale cross the ball into the six yard box and Defoe is nowhere near is laughable, Lineker would have thrived on that, also Lineker could and did receive the ball in space and hold it up, Greaves I agree with you on in todays game he would be a number 10.

Linekar's strength was always ghosting into the six yard box. Do you think that Lennon and Bale would have less opportunities to cross with a striker playing who didn't work defenders off of the ball or hold up the ball and bring others into play?

Linekar's strength was always ghosting into the six yard box. Do you think that Lennon and Bale would have less opportunities to cross with a striker playing who didn't work defenders off of the ball or hold up the ball and bring others into play?

Lineker was very intelligent, I saw him play for Leicester a few times as a right winger and Alan Smith was his CF, he was more than pace, he would hold the ball in space play it wide turn and go, when he played for us I thought he was outstanding, when players are mentioned I think he is very underated, my answer to the original question would be Chivers with Klinsman a close second.

Lineker was very intelligent, I saw him play for Leicester a few times as a right winger and Alan Smith was his CF, he was more than pace, he would hold the ball in space play it wide turn and go, when he played for us I thought he was outstanding, when players are mentioned I think he is very underated, my answer to the original question would be Chivers with Klinsman a close second.

I agree that Linekar was an awesome player, I saw him a few times to and he always impressed. It's all speculation but it would be interesting to see what he would be like if he came through in the last five years, where he would play and how his game would be different.

I agree that Linekar was an awesome player, I saw him a few times to and he always impressed. It's all speculation but it would be interesting to see what he would be like if he came through in the last five years, where he would play and how his game would be different.

What I liked about him was that he never ever hid, always gave 100%, tbh the players that stick in my head for off the ball movement is Lineker, Andy Cole and Archibald, Ian Rush was not bad either, lol.

Hoddle for me. Quite simply he would control the game, contribute goals and turn both Bale and Lennon into double-digit scorers. In fact, with him around I believe we woul have at least 4 players with over 12 goals in a season.

For the doubters out there, those who think Greaves might struggle in a modern context, think again. He could do everything that a modern forward could do. The most effecient forward I have ever seen. Not always pretty, but oh, so effective. frustrating too, because often it would be like Spurs were playing a man short, as he would be invisible. But then bang bang, two half chances and two goals. This was when Spurs won matches, they had no right to win on balance of play, but Greavsie delivered.

Hoddle for me. Quite simply he would control the game, contribute goals and turn both Bale and Lennon into double-digit scorers. In fact, with him around I believe we woul have at least 4 players with over 12 goals in a season.

The most gifted player I've ever seen grace the Lillywhite shirt. So wonderful a player to watch that I named a street after him...

http://mapq.st/RCCK4Z

Note: The small street to the West is also called Ardiles Street.

Last edited:
I'd go for who Bill Nicholson rated as the best player to wear a Spurs shirt - Dave Mackay.

Most people think of him as a hard tackling midfielder, but he was one of most skillful players ball players in Tottenham's history and he contributed more than his fair share of goals (about 1 every 6 games) from what today would be considered a holding midfield position.

Added to all this, Mackay was a winner in every sense of the word and a great character to have around the dressing room.

I'd go for who Bill Nicholson rated as the best player to wear a Spurs shirt - Dave Mackay.

Most people think of him as a hard tackling midfielder, but he was one of most skillful players ball players in Tottenham's history and he contributed more than his fair share of goals (about 1 every 6 games) from what today would be considered a holding midfield position.

Added to all this, Mackay was a winner in every sense of the word and a great character to have around the dressing room.

Great player and an interesting choice. Who would you drop for him?

Undoubtedly Dave Mackay is one of the greatest players we've ever had at the club, but he'd have to replace Sandro in the current side and he's currently one of our best players. I guess it's similar to why noones really mentioned Ginola or Cliff jones, we have Bale so you'd try and strengthen a weaker area.

That's point of the question, isn't it, who would improve the current team the most, not who is our best player.

Its an interesting question as our current weak area - the attacking midfielder - is one where we have an incredible choice, either creative forward types or attacking midfielders. No disrespect to Sigurdsson or Dempsey, but White, Greaves, Peters, Hoddle, Gazza and RvdV are all world class players who could play the position in different ways.

Undoubtedly Dave Mackay is one of the greatest players we've ever had at the club, but he'd have to replace Sandro in the current side and he's currently one of our best players. I guess it's similar to why noones really mentioned Ginola or Cliff jones, we have Bale so you'd try and strengthen a weaker area.

With Mackay, you're not just replacing a similar player - you're adding an inspirational leader, which is something which I feel is lacking in the current Spurs squad.

Great player and an interesting choice. Who would you drop for him?

I'd happily drop Sandro for him. Whilst Sandro is very good, he's got a long way to go before he becomes a legend for us.

That said, I don't think it's the part of the team that needs upgrading the most. I've have Hoddle in the Dempsey/Sig role as first choice and probably Lineker over Defoe as second.

Back