• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Allen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Berbatov

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Gascoigne

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Greaves

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Lineker

• Mackay

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Perryman

• Other (name 'em)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Your username seems very appropriate since you've put a guy who's played a handful of games into our All-Time XI. ;)
Okay so maybe for our all-time first XI that is a tad premature! Henry was an outstanding defender who was a vital part of the multiple-trophy-winning side, whereas Vertonghen has only been here five minutes and won nothing. But if we confine the discussion to all-round skill-sets there's no question Vertonghen's on another level compared to any player we have ever had at LB, especially going forward, so it's on THAT basis I'd choose him ahead of Henry and the rest.

Last edited:
Proper leadership needed...bring in Steve Perryman. he'd be at RB. One of most underrated players too, simple but accurate passing. He would just allow people to play. Has a good cross too.

Proper leadership needed...bring in Steve Perryman. he'd be at RB. One of most underrated players too, simple but accurate passing. He would just allow people to play. Has a good cross too.

Steve Perryman - the baby-faced assassin. Hard as nails that fella.

Proper leadershirp needed...bring in Steve Perryman. he'd be at RB. One of most underrated players too, simple but accurate passing. He would just allow people to play. Has a good cross too.

Fantastic player, but not what we really need in the current team.

Obviously. But is he as much of an upgrade as Klinsmann/Greaves or Hoddle/Mckay would be to what we currently have?

wasnt born early enough to see Greaves play - my main memories of him are on Saint & Greavsie on ITV!!

Would go for Jurgen the German if we're talking about Spurs players, not because he's out best evey player but because I think CF is our main weakness and he'd do well in our system

Obviously. But is he as much of an upgrade as Klinsmann/Greaves or Hoddle/Mckay would be to what we currently have?

Honestly, the way Walker has played so far this season, it may be. Plus he would take on the vacant leadership role that is currently missing in the starting XI with Dawson on the bench. Definitely not as sexy a choice as Greaves or Hoddle, but he was the type of player who would fit the teams needs and play accordingly with no ego whatsoever. I'd still go with GHod but Perryman is a worthy mention in this discussion.

Honestly, the way Walker has played so far this season, it may be. Plus he would take on the vacant leadership role that is currently missing in the starting XI with Dawson on the bench. Definitely not as sexy a choice as Greaves or Hoddle, but he was the type of player who would fit the teams needs and play accordingly with no ego whatsoever. I'd still go with GHod but Perryman is a worthy mention in this discussion.

He would get through to those who think they are too big for the club & stop any indiscipline ( I once saw him almost grab Clive Allen by the throat, who was trying to get himself sent off for dissent. He always had THFC as No1 & not himself. Plus he was very rarely injured) He could also play in any position in midfield / defence & play well

Gazza for me, was absolutely unplayable at his best. Could have been one of the all time greatest in the world without the injuries and off-the-pitch issues.

He would get through to those who think they are too big for the club & stop any indiscipline ( I once saw him almost grab Clive Allen by the throat, who was trying to get himself sent off for dissent. He always had THFC as No1 & not himself. Plus he was very rarely injured) He could also play in any position in midfield / defence & play well

Great point re: injury record and leadership...the perfect skipper actually...

...non-Spurs player from history? Zidane no question. One of my favorite players ever. If Harry was still manager? Maradona. (sigh - better qualify this before someone takes it as a negative)...I don't think Maradona and AVB could work together as Maradona was an old-skool maverick. I think harry would have given him plenty of love, the freedom of the park and a spot in the hole behind a striker to do whatever he wanted...which frankly WAS whatever he wanted! I saw him play twice in person, a phenomenal player.

Back