• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. Tottenham vs Philips Sport Vereniging Eindhoven.

And Heung-Min Son just won the Asian Cup but hasn’t exactly been pulling up trees since his return either.
Maybe winning trophies is better for the fans and not the players? Our two anecdotal stories - Hugo and Son - have not proved the Magical Trophy Hypothesis/ I know I have tremendously enjoyed seeing a shiny silver thing being hoisted aloft.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/25/the-fiver-sexy-spurs-big-cup-football

Tottenham somehow summoning their inner Spurs

STING IN THE TAIL
In the well-known fable The Scorpion and the Frog, the former asks to hitch a ride on the latter’s back to get across a river. Reluctant to provide his services as a water-taxi for fear of being fatally stung, the frog finally relents when the scorpion points out that if he did so, both creatures will drown. Halfway across the river, the scorpion stings him anyway and when the dying frog asks why, the unapologetic arachnid looks him straight in his googly eyes and says: “Lads, it’s Tottenham.”

Of course, the moral of the story is that certain natures cannot be reformed no matter how hard you try and while you can take a 2-1 lead against a vastly inferior Eredivisie side in a must-win Big Cup game, it seems you just can’t take the “Lads, it’s Tottenham” out of Spurs. Completely in control of a game against PSV Eindhoven, in which they missed enough chances to win several matches, the London club’s fabled flakiness prevailed and they somehow summoned their inner Spurs to draw a game it seemed inconceivable they might not win with just 10 minutes to go.

“If you don’t win this type of game then it is difficult to deserve to qualify,” sighed their crestfallen manager, Mauricio Pochettino, idly plucking the slender thread by which his team’s hopes of progressing to the knockout stages of Big Cup currently hang. “We completely dominated and we had the chances to kill the game. We need to be more aggressive and score more than two because you can always concede when the result is tight.”

The question now for Spurs is whether they should bin off any attempt to drop into Big Vase (a trophy they could actually win), to focus on qualifying for next season’s Big Cup (one they almost certainly won’t). For all the bouquets that have been lobbed his way, the very likable Pochettino has yet to take that bare look off Spurs’ trophy cabinet after more than four years in charge. The grand opening of a big shop outside their sw@nky new stadium earlier this week is unlikely to appease the fans for too long either. Of course, it behoves The Fiver to mention that, if they win their remaining three Big Cup group games, they could still scrape through to the knockout stages in the event of a total collapse by Inter. The kind of collapse that seems so unlikely you can’t imagine it befalling anyone other than vintage Spurs.'

Sigh.

Lots of people say it magically makes a group better. It really helped us when we won the carling Cup in 2008... Or did it?
Of course it didn’t, but there was a lot of uncertainty around that time. I’m only going from when I’ve heard players from several multiple trophy winning teams talking about the belief the team got once they won that first trophy, they can’t all be talking nonsense. This squad has been together for several years and knows each other inside out from the manager down, there’s a good chance the team would have had a greater belief to go on and fulfill their potential as a team had they actually won something but who knows. I’ve certainly never seen anyone claim winning a trophy makes an individual player better....

Sorry missed yesterday’s game due to work so just caught the highlights. Have the rules changed regarding clear goal scoring opportunities and red cards? If not how come Lloris was sent off bearing in mind there were covering defenders? Yellow for me, no more unless rules have changed. Plus what is with us and set pieces we are so slow to react to the second ball in particular. The PS4 players reacted faster than us while we were ball watching.

...how come Lloris was sent off bearing in mind there were covering defenders? Yellow for me, no more unless rules have changed.
Anywhere on the pitch, if you sprint at top speed directly at an opponent and dive in with 2 feet off the ground and make contact with said player, knocking him bandy and missing the ball, it is a red card.

Anywhere on the pitch, if you sprint at top speed directly at an opponent and dive in with 2 feet off the ground and make contact with said player, knocking him bandy and missing the ball, it is a red card.
You make it sound far worse than it was imo. He’s a goalkeeper he goes in low, misses the ball it’s his momentum that knock the guy over. He pulls back from a leg breaker no studs. Snodgrasses tackle on Moura and kompany’s tackle on Lennon much worse imo. Not a sending off for me. Yellow at worst.

I don't understand why we seem to take our foot off the gas the moment we go a goal up. If anything, that's when we should be going for the jugular, especially since the opposition will open up to try and level. Instead we try to "manage" the game. You would think the Watford and Inter games would have taught us something. We focus so much on playing it safe that we forget to attack. We have chances to break and we slow things down. It's just baffling...

I don't understand why we seem to take our foot off the gas the moment we go a goal up. If anything, that's when we should be going for the jugular, especially since the opposition will open up to try and level. Instead we try to "manage" the game. You would think the Watford and Inter games would have taught us something. We focus so much on playing it safe that we forget to attack. We have chances to break and we slow things down. It's just baffling...

Tbh, i don't think that we do take the foot off; we tried - at least in the Inter and PSV games - to score more goals and at the very least control the tempo to not give the opposition any chances. Unfortunately a worldy killed us vs Inter and sloppy play killed us vs PSV. In both lack of clinical finishing caught up with us and in both panic in our defending also cost us.

Overall, our defence is much less solid than it had been compared to previous years. Perhaps the lack of pace of Trippier and Davies means Lloris feels he has to rush out sweeping more than he used to when Walker and Rose were bombing up and down and leaving much less potential space to exploit in behind; Also the cbs are more nervous without the 'wall of meat' in front of them they used to have and are more jittery and them being more nervous of Lloris and so, the circle of defensive fragility has been created...

Oh well, if you don't try and plug obvious weaknesses that were clear before the summer, this is what is prone to happen..:(

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/25/the-fiver-sexy-spurs-big-cup-football

STING IN THE TAIL
In the well-known fable The Scorpion and the Frog, the former asks to hitch a ride on the latter’s back to get across a river. Reluctant to provide his services as a water-taxi for fear of being fatally stung, the frog finally relents when the scorpion points out that if he did so, both creatures will drown. Halfway across the river, the scorpion stings him anyway and when the dying frog asks why, the unapologetic arachnid looks him straight in his googly eyes and says: “Lads, it’s Tottenham.”

Of course, the moral of the story is that certain natures cannot be reformed no matter how hard you try and while you can take a 2-1 lead against a vastly inferior Eredivisie side in a must-win Big Cup game, it seems you just can’t take the “Lads, it’s Tottenham” out of Spurs. Completely in control of a game against PSV Eindhoven, in which they missed enough chances to win several matches, the London club’s fabled flakiness prevailed and they somehow summoned their inner Spurs to draw a game it seemed inconceivable they might not win with just 10 minutes to go.

“If you don’t win this type of game then it is difficult to deserve to qualify,” sighed their crestfallen manager, Mauricio Pochettino, idly plucking the slender thread by which his team’s hopes of progressing to the knockout stages of Big Cup currently hang. “We completely dominated and we had the chances to kill the game. We need to be more aggressive and score more than two because you can always concede when the result is tight.”

The question now for Spurs is whether they should bin off any attempt to drop into Big Vase (a trophy they could actually win), to focus on qualifying for next season’s Big Cup (one they almost certainly won’t). For all the bouquets that have been lobbed his way, the very likable Pochettino has yet to take that bare look off Spurs’ trophy cabinet after more than four years in charge. The grand opening of a big shop outside their sw@nky new stadium earlier this week is unlikely to appease the fans for too long either. Of course, it behoves The Fiver to mention that, if they win their remaining three Big Cup group games, they could still scrape through to the knockout stages in the event of a total collapse by Inter. The kind of collapse that seems so unlikely you can’t imagine it befalling anyone other than vintage Spurs.'

Sigh.

Media having their anticipated field day. Problem is, you can’t really argue with it.

That's really harsh on us. When you think of the disallowed goal, the fact that we played really well, to come away with just a draw sucks. But we go on.

Shame about some of the mistakes and it never ceases to amaze me how we can be so bad at finishing, but as long as we perform like that, more often than not we will be ok. This is a frustrating season in the CL but maybe we can get into the Europa and win it. Could be good.
I don't think Europa is going to that easy. There's Chelski, the Scum, and one of Napoli, PSG, and Lollerpool that will drop into it.

Maybe I’m being an idiot but I can see us winning comfortably vs inter and PSV
Barca will have won the group once they win their next game and they have rested players before in the CL so who knows
Yes, but Messi will back around that time and I can see them playing him to give him some game time.

I don't think Europa is going to that easy. There's Chelski, the Scum, and one of Napoli, PSG, and Lollerpool that will drop into it.

We've not shown anything in the past 10 years to say we'd go deep in a European competition (or in the past 5 for that matter).

I hope I'm wrong and we can either advance from this group or go on to win the EL.

I'm just.....disappointed with this result if I'm honest. So disappointed. Yeah to an extent, there was some bad luck but you also make your luck and our game management in Europe has been so poor this season.

Real shame as this was probably one of our best performances so far this season.

STING IN THE TAIL

Sigh.
Every team fudges up from time to time but when it's Tottenham it's because they're Spurzy. Such lazy journalism.

The Fiver can just fudge off.

All this talk of the Europa is pointless as we'll beat psv and Inter at home and then them two will draw with each other sending us through in second.

*our win at home to Inter will be in a manner that gives us the head to head edge and just as an fyi we'll draw in the nou camp against an unmotivated and messi-less Barcelona.

Just quickly on the europa, if we do drop into it we will be giving it a proper go, regardless of whether we think we should or not.

Poch would never write off a competition and looking at the money The Anal got from reaching the semi, it is not too disimilar to what we got for reaching the CL last 16. So with the money helping after a big outlay on the stadium, we can also imagine Levy's thoughts on it.

I cannot see us winning it though and would predict at best we would reach the semi, which is why I still hope we can turn it around in the CL, where we would then imo likely go out in the last 16, as we'd draw a giant with the second leg away - although not completely beyond us if we have our best side out.

And all that is because amongst other reasons it would be less detrimental to our league form, even if we can be clever early on in the Europa and use our underrated squad.

One big advantage we have on The Anal as it stands is when they go knee deep into the Europa and have to manage semi hard away games at the likes of Watford, wham and Leicester.

That advantage goes if we drop into it too as we won't be writing it off and shouldn't too (even if in the latter stages it's detrimental to our league form) as we need the money it generates.

So we really need a miracle in the CL, because if we drop into the Europa we lose our big advantage in the race for the top 4.

To me it's looking like it's either CL last 16 and 4th in the PL or EL semi and 5th in the PL. And we can't write off the EL should we drop into it as we need the money.

I'd gladly take winning a cup every year to CL participation. There I said it.

Its like Brexit all over again, people make it binary.

Am I interested only in CL qualification in perpetuity? No. Dont be silly. Id love to win things.

But - heres my thinking - and I think it bears out when you look back at the records.

Regular CL = Money/Kudos.
Money/Kudos = better players/bigger squad.
Better players/bigger squad = The ability to win competitions year on year.

And yet people (I know I quoted you, but its not personal) take it is either/or. Like prioritising the CL at this time is sacralige, a betrayal of the club, "not a proper fan", or "everything thats wrong with the modern game"....

Which, frankly, tinkles me off.

Unlocking regular CL participation is what takes clubs up through the gears and enables them to take all the other competitions seriously.

One off cup wins change absolutely fudge all, something we should all be keenly aware of.

Back