• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. Tottenham vs Philips Sport Vereniging Eindhoven.

Yeah true. Damn we've made a meal of this group.

Almost like the mirror of what we did last season. Last season we were excellent. This season we’ve been brick. One of the most frustrating aspects of Spurs, for me, is lack of consistency. I know that we are good enough to be in the top two places in the group. Now though we might finish last as we completely ballsed it up!

PSVs first goal was oh so fortunate. 9 times of out 10 that's a fantastic last ditch saving tackle from Toby. That it looped perfectly into the net is a freak.

We scored an onside goal that was disallowed, if I'm not mistaken?

Hugo should have got a yellow. 2 defenders covering, I think the PSV player conned the ref by jumping and rolling around.

Not to mention we hit the bar about 3 times. All in all a little unlucky tonight.

That PSV player was cheating all night. Hit the deck like he'd been snipered several times. Typically, Moura stayed on his feet when he could've gone down in the box. Ref was terrible. If our goal was considered "offside" for "interference" then their goal was so offside it hurt the offside GHod's eyes!

It was nearly our best performance of the season and 5-2 would not have flattered the occasion.

I have a feeling we will get out of the group and win it. I might have a rare bet.

If you don't think we were desperately unlucky not to win tonight, then you're letting your disappointment (or your agenda) cloud your judgement.

So unlucky not to leave with three points, even with ten men we had the better chances.

Let's just go and beat PSV at home then knock off Barca and Inter. Stranger things have happened.
Yes we were no doubt the better team but it’s nothing to do with luck. It was our own fault we didn’t finish them off, and both their goals were our own fault. To just pass it off as unlucky is just the easy thing to do on here and carry on living in that Spurs bubble where everything is great and we are amazing win lose or draw. It was just another sexy performance, not winning when we needed to - and when we should have done...

Yes we were no doubt the better team but it’s nothing to do with luck. It was our own fault we didn’t finish them off, and both their goals were our own fault. To just pass it off as unlucky is just the easy thing to do on here and carry on living in that Spurs bubble where everything is great and we are amazing win lose or draw. It was just another sexy performance, not winning when we needed to - and when we should have done...

There is some truth in that. We made mistakes last night that we just weren't making when we were playing our best under Poch. I can't remember Toby fudging up that spectacularly before and Lamela was pretty brainless for the second goal while Eriksen made a bad mistake for the sending off too while the less said about Hugo...

But I was encouraged by our performance. It was as good as we've been all season. My only reservation is that I'm not sure if PSV were that bad or we made them look that bad.

Kudos also to Poch for his post match interview. Could have blamed the ref but was very, very classy in his replies.

There is some truth in that. We made mistakes last night that we just weren't making when we were playing our best under Poch. I can't remember Toby fudging up that spectacularly before and Lamela was pretty brainless for the second goal while Eriksen made a bad mistake for the sending off too while the less said about Hugo...

But I was encouraged by our performance. It was as good as we've been all season. My only reservation is that I'm not sure if PSV were that bad or we made them look that bad.

Kudos also to Poch for his post match interview. Could have blamed the ref but was very, very classy in his replies.

I agree and thought we were back to our best for much of the game last night. Last year we would have scored the 3rd goal soon after taking the lead and probably run out 4-1 winners. But this year we are just not putting teams away. Not sure whether it is not being clinical enough, a lack of confidence or an arrogance that it doesn't matter if we miss one as another chance will come soon.

I certainly detected an arrogance to our play with about 15 minutes to go with 2 much passing sideways and backwards rather than killing the game. The same as the Inter game by sitting back we invited PSV onto us which got the crowd going. Up to that point the crowd were getting frustrated with the PSV players and groaning when mistakes were made.

It is true the ref was dreadful, falling for the theatrics of their players and disallowing a perfectly good Sanchez goal, but unless we start to kill games when ahead, this is going to be a long and frustrating season.

Absolutely, we played well - I was pleased with majority of our play. But to put it down to luck we didn't win is not right, we were clinical enough at one end and made terrible decisions defensively and that is ultimately what lost us the game no matter how bad the ref was.

Was very disappointed in PSV though, they were so bang average - It wasn't just us making them look bad because had they done their homework theyd know when we are pressed we don't look particularly great and yet they never put us under any pressure when was on the ball.....

I agree and thought we were back to our best for much of the game last night. Last year we would have scored the 3rd goal soon after taking the lead and probably run out 4-1 winners. But this year we are just not putting teams away. Not sure whether it is not being clinical enough, a lack of confidence or an arrogance that it doesn't matter if we miss one as another chance will come soon.

I certainly detected an arrogance to our play with about 15 minutes to go with 2 much passing sideways and backwards rather than killing the game. The same as the Inter game by sitting back we invited PSV onto us which got the crowd going. Up to that point the crowd were getting frustrated with the PSV players and groaning when mistakes were made.

It is true the ref was dreadful, falling for the theatrics of their players and disallowing a perfectly good Sanchez goal, but unless we start to kill games when ahead, this is going to be a long and frustrating season.

All fair points. I also think, besides his goal last night, Harry still isn't looking anywhere near his best. A couple of times he got a sniff of goal and was too hesitant or looked for a pass whereas, at his best, he shoots. I can't put my finger on what the problem is. Is he tired from being overplayed, is he struggling with having 2 kids, is he feeling the pressure, is he trying to change his game to be less selfish or is he really a 4 season wonder?

I thought the ref was terrible, and set the tone for a rather bad tempered game.

I was disappointed in PSVs lack of sporting ethic. Lots of gamesmanship, niggles and digs. I thought they were a better side than that.

I was especially disappointed with Lozano who, to my eye, is clearly a fudging talented player, talented enough there is literally no justification for all his diving and rolling around. Seriously, if Poch got hold of him and toughened him up - he could be something else...

Mostly I was disappointed with us though.

The team clearly allowed circumstances to get to them, lost their composure somewhat, and werent quite doing the things they should be doing.

Yes, I know we dominated, and know we had chances, but this PSV team is poor and there is no good reason for us to have not buried them - except that we contrived to fail to do so.

Europa league? fudge that. No thanks. Id rather finish 4th in the group and focus on domestic issues. The Europa is a "competition" designed to keep teams out of the CL, we need to be wiser than to treat it at all seriously.

I thought the ref was terrible, and set the tone for a rather bad tempered game.

I was disappointed in PSVs lack of sporting ethic. Lots of gamesmanship, niggles and digs. I thought they were a better side than that.

I was especially disappointed with Lozano who, to my eye, is clearly a fudging talented player, talented enough there is literally no justification for all his diving and rolling around. Seriously, if Poch got hold of him and toughened him up - he could be something else...

The team clearly allowed circumstances to get to them, lost their composure somewhat, and werent quite doing the things they should be doing.

Yes, I know we dominated, and know we had chances, but this PSV team is poor and there is no good reason for us to have not buried them - except that we contrived to fail to do so.

Europa league? fudge that. No thanks. Id rather finish 4th in the group and focus on domestic issues. The Europa is a "competition" designed to keep teams out of the CL, we need to be wiser than to treat it at all seriously.

I did read on the BBC feed yesterday that Lozano has had 30 different players booked in a season... that’s some odd fact

All fair points. I also think, besides his goal last night, Harry still isn't looking anywhere near his best. A couple of times he got a sniff of goal and was too hesitant or looked for a pass whereas, at his best, he shoots. I can't put my finger on what the problem is. Is he tired from being overplayed, is he struggling with having 2 kids, is he feeling the pressure, is he trying to change his game to be less selfish or is he really a 4 season wonder?

Maybe he isn’t 100% all the time like any human being

Don’t forget his record to date has been exceptionally good - arguably better than any player in his position in the world

I did read on the BBC feed yesterday that Lozano has had 30 different players booked in a season... that’s some odd fact

Its sad, IMO.

He shone at the WC as a real talent. I was looking forward to seeing him last night. And he showed he absolutely has massive ability, but I found myself thinking "If he focused on playing, instead of diving and cheating, he could win this for them - he is that good!"

I find it so disappointing when players are like that. He has the talent to lift that whole team, if he just focused on playing.

To hear he has had 30 players booked, thats just so sad, he is clearly a serial diver and cheat - what a waste of potential.

Sadly I think we will end up in the Europa.

We need VAR desperately.
Refereeing is largely relying on guessing these days. The officiating has never been at such a low standard, not helped by the blatant diving yes but last night excuse for refereeing team showed no knowledge of the game and the dark arts sadly used in 'his' profession.

Last edited:
It works because those refs know better how to use it.

The ref is still the focal point of the officiating. If the ref is a brick one, as most are, VAR makes little difference.

Its a ridiculous way of doing it, when the linesman and VAR ref are qualified referees who officiate matches themselves, having a single point of reference for decisions is stupidity.

VAR doesnt make a brick ref any better. It is simply a tool, which can be used well or poorly. We still need a better standard of referee

In the knock out stages of the Europa it’s not much different than the CL game wise.

We should be going for it if we are in it

Last edited:
In the knock out stages of the Europa it’s not much different than the CL game wise.

We should be going forcit if we are in it

This. Absolutely.

Imo we need to shake this largely Poch-inspired idea that the Europa is beneath us. It may well be our most realistic route into the Champions League next year.

We have a group of players who have been tipped to do great things but who are struggling to get over the line. Until they do (and it’s looking increasingly likely that this group in its current form won’t) then EVERY cup should be a priority. Fudge absolutely this idea that certain cups are beneath us - they are the only cups we have a realistic chance of winning.

I dont think the Europa league is beneath us, I think its a bricky competition designed to keep developing teams out of the CL.

Its a quagmire, a bloody swamp you get bogged down in, and it sucks the life out of your domestic form.

And, when all is said and done, its a secondary competition. Like the Carling cup is to the FA Cup, nobody actually gives a brick about it and who wins it.

I would gladly ditch it completely to qualify for the CL next season.

Back