• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT. Tottenham vs Philips Sport Vereniging Eindhoven.

Its like Brexit all over again, people make it binary.

Am I interested only in CL qualification in perpetuity? No. Dont be silly. Id love to win things.

But - heres my thinking - and I think it bears out when you look back at the records.

Regular CL = Money/Kudos.
Money/Kudos = better players/bigger squad.
Better players/bigger squad = The ability to win competitions year on year.

And yet people (I know I quoted you, but its not personal) take it is either/or. Like prioritising the CL at this time is sacralige, a betrayal of the club, "not a proper fan", or "everything thats wrong with the modern game"....

Which, frankly, tinkles me off.

Unlocking regular CL participation is what takes clubs up through the gears and enables them to take all the other competitions seriously.

One off cup wins change absolutely fudge all, something we should all be keenly aware of.
It is nothing like brexit

You have straw manned my post so we'll leave it there.

If you read it correctly, you will see I explicitly point out Im speaking in general and not to you.

This argument comes up time and again, and it always becomes a very binary thing. Youre on this side or that, no shades of grey. When in fact thats simply not the case.

our defence is playing crap, yet this is THE thing that made us world beaters - coz we can always score goals, we have that pedigree

two horrific defensive howlers just put paid to us - having said that, let's do Emirates Marketing Project ! ;):D:p

our defence is playing crap, yet this is THE thing that made us world beaters - coz we can always score goals, we have that pedigree

two horrific defensive howlers just put paid to us - having said that, let's do Emirates Marketing Project ! ;):D:p

Our forward line is faultering as well.

We are missing chances (when we create them) we should and did put away.

Our forward line is faultering as well.

We are missing chances (when we create them) we should and did put away.
Yeah, we've had loads of games like that where one of our chances bounces in and we go on to win handsomely and the other side give up. It just wouldn't roll for us, yet their first was handed on a plate and still spooned over Lloris by chance

Every team fudges up from time to time but when it's Tottenham it's because they're Spurzy. Such lazy journalism.

The Fiver can just fudge off.

We can be relied upon to fudge it up when it matters, though. FA Cup semi, League Cup final, Chelsea to give Leicester the title, Juve in the Champs Lge, Tuesday night...and that’s since we got better under Poch. So the article is accurate, really.

We can be relied upon to fudge it up when it matters, though. FA Cup semi, League Cup final, Chelsea to give Leicester the title, Juve in the Champs Lge, Tuesday night...and that’s since we got better under Poch. So the article is accurate, really.
seriously?! That’s not even a thing!

I'd gladly take winning a cup every year to CL participation. There I said it.
And no decent player would want to sign for us. Not to mention affording one without the CL money would make it more difficult. It's not the 60s, 70s, 80s, and even 90s anymore.

Tbh, i don't think that we do take the foot off; we tried - at least in the Inter and PSV games - to score more goals and at the very least control the tempo to not give the opposition any chances. Unfortunately a worldy killed us vs Inter and sloppy play killed us vs PSV. In both lack of clinical finishing caught up with us and in both panic in our defending also cost us.

Overall, our defence is much less solid than it had been compared to previous years. Perhaps the lack of pace of Trippier and Davies means Lloris feels he has to rush out sweeping more than he used to when Walker and Rose were bombing up and down and leaving much less potential space to exploit in behind; Also the cbs are more nervous without the 'wall of meat' in front of them they used to have and are more jittery and them being more nervous of Lloris and so, the circle of defensive fragility has been created...

Oh well, if you don't try and plug obvious weaknesses that were clear before the summer, this is what is prone to happen..:(
We do take our foot off. We play the game as if we're 3-0 up when I think we should be playing as if we're a goal down, no matter what the score. We were much more direct after PSV equalized compared to the previous 20 minutes. Why can't we be like this the entire game? If it's one thing that City and Lollerpool do it's exactly that and this is what sets them apart. You go up by 2-3 goals and the opposition's will is crushed. You lead by one and they still believe, no matter how brick they may be, because a set piece or a lucky deflection can see them back in the game.

We do take our foot off. We play the game as if I'm 3-0 up when I think we should be playing as if I'm a goal down, no matter what the score. We were much more direct after PSV equalized compared to the previous 20 minutes. Why can't we be like this the entire game? If it's one thing that City and Lollerpool do it's exactly that and this is what sets them apart. You go up by 2-3 goals and the opposition's will is crushed. You lead by one and they still believe, no matter how brick they may be, because a set piece or a lucky deflection can see them back in the game.

Some fair points i guess. Poor finishing and poor decision-making at the front end of the team is the issue imo;
Plus i think Poch/his staff are trying to be careful of burnout (rightly imo)

We do take our foot off. We play the game as if I'm 3-0 up when I think we should be playing as if I'm a goal down, no matter what the score. We were much more direct after PSV equalized compared to the previous 20 minutes. Why can't we be like this the entire game? If it's one thing that City and Lollerpool do it's exactly that and this is what sets them apart. You go up by 2-3 goals and the opposition's will is crushed. You lead by one and they still believe, no matter how brick they may be, because a set piece or a lucky deflection can see them back in the game.
OK, why the fvck is w.e're change to I'm???

Winning a trophy is more about what it can do for the team rather than an individual player. No one says it magically makes players better, but can enhance the meteorology of the group. A fairer comparison would be to see how France as a team go on now they’ve won a tournament....

I don't know how to use the like button.

LOL. So let me summarise where this line of thinking has led us.
me: I would prefer to win cups over qualifying for the CL and we would have loads of fun doing it
you: no you wouldn't as we'd have no money to win cups.
There is a breakdown in the logic of this argument

LOL. So let me summarise where this line of thinking has led us.
me: I would prefer to win cups over qualifying for the CL and we would have loads of fun doing it
you: no you wouldn't as we'd have no money to win cups.
There is a breakdown in the logic of this argument
No there isn't. If we don't qualify for CL, we'll become a B tier team. As a B tier team our marketing cache would decline. If that declines our finances would decline (add to that losing out on CL money). If our finances decline, coupled with the fact we're a B tier team, we will not be able to attract quality players. And if we don't attract quality players, we'll win f**k all.

So yeah, we may win a cup or two as long as this team is kept together, but after that don't hope for too much fun.

Back