• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham vs. Inter Milan

Without having read every post in this thread. But having seen a few over this one and the two match threads vs Lyon. A lot of posters keep going on about resting this person or that person. It appears some see the premier league as the priority and nothing should get in the way. I hope we play our strongest xi against inter and go for the Europa league as its the only thing we can win. I don't wish to be saying in a few years what our neighbours say 'but we qualify for the champions league every year'. Football is about winning, lets play our best xi and try our best to win the Europa League!

It's laughable how some fans treat this competition with such contempt.

Resting players doesn't mean you have contempt for the competition. It means you understand that your other players have played a lot of matches and as they are Human beings they do actually tire eventually.

It's more commonly known as rotation. That word is much less ominous.

I seem to remember the bin dippers took it seriously in 2001 and it did them no harm at all that season.

I think it's important we progress some more in the competition also because we are quite close to being ranked as a second pot team in the CL draw next season if we make it there.

I think we should try and steam roller Inter in the first half, they're in a much more precarious position than us regarding qualifying for next season's CL, and they'll probably hold on to their Pot 1 ranking even if they went out against us. If we can catch them cold we could make them lose interest in the tie and give us a pretty easy ride.

I think we should try and make the 2nd leg academic.

SAF rests Utd players all the time - doesnt mean he treats the PL and CL with contempt...no player can play 50-60 games per season plus 5-10 international games. There needs to be some rotation and some prioritisation. If we were to draw 0-0 on Thurs I wouldnt see it as a disaster as a win or score draw in Italy would put us through

I have loved this competition this year - loved it and I desperatley want us to win this trophy - I just dont think its a good idea that dembele & Parker play as they were outnumbered and tired at the end of the derby - yes if we have to prioritise then like it or not qualifying for the UCL will give us a better chance in the future - holding onto the likes of bale.

to be succesful you have to utilise a squad and utilise it well - who's to say if avb starts with livermore & carrol on thursday it might be a career changer for them - they might put in a wonderful performance - then we can all have debates on omt's such as I would play livermore/carrol in this game rather than just assuming dembele & parker are our first choice.

we get 2 bites of the cherry vs inter and can play everyone's first choice in the 2nd leg if needs be.

We need to keep players fresh/happy/involved and look at potential options for the future ......carrol,livermore in cm

There is no contempt from me just a burning desire that we utilise what we have as a squad effectively so we can challenge city to finish 2nd/cement top 4 and win this competition. - I would fear for demb & parker in the latter stages against liverpool if the play every available minute this week.

I can't see AVB risking both Carrol and Livermore. For me got to be a combo of Parker/Carrol or Dembele/Livermore. I'd favour the former over the latter as I think Carroll's neat and quick passing could really put inter on the back foot.

I expect inter to pretty much have everyone behind the ball defending deep to negate our pace and limit the space to play in. Expect to see a lot of long distance shooting from Gareth!

Do you mean on this thread? Can't say I've seen it. I have nothing but respect for the competition but would also be wanting to rotate the squad slightly, to maintain a strong push on all fronts we'll need to use the quality we have in our squad, relying on our best XI game after game will end in tears in my opinion.

Well saying we shouldn't risk Adebayor for this game is pretty contemptible. It's Inter Milan at home, not Yeovil away in the 3rd round of the Capital One Cup.

If Ade isn't ready or there's a chance he could aggravate his injury I would not risk him. We have enough quality in our squad to avoid taking unnecessary chances and a declining Inter is not important enough. Had it been the second leg with us needing a result I might change my mind.

I would let Ade play with a broken leg, just so he would break the other other one.
Joking
I agree with the top poster anyway (cant remember the name..) who said that we should go all out to win this competition. Looking at our rivals it really doesnt scare me. The Russian teams are strong but I would still fancy us over two legs...

The only problem is with going all out to win the EL though is the financial implications of missing out on top 4 spot.

Last edited:
Could they not just play the games on alternate Tuesdays/Wednesdays to the CL?

And offer higher prize money. It's like UEFA are short of a few bob.

Was it not still the UEFA Cup in 2001? Probably only took 7 games to win the trophy.

Liverpool played 13 games to win the competition in 2001, if we went all the way we would play 15. But it's not like we stayed in the FA cup or league cup for long this season. If we went all the way that would mean we would have played a total of 57 games this season. Liverpool also won both domestic competitions that season equalling 63 games in total. On the topic of rotating players Stephane Henchoz started the most games for them that season with 60 while someone like Steven Gerrard started 44.

I can't see AVB risking both Carrol and Livermore. For me got to be a combo of Parker/Carrol or Dembele/Livermore. I'd favour the former over the latter as I think Carroll's neat and quick passing could really put inter on the back foot.

I expect inter to pretty much have everyone behind the ball defending deep to negate our pace and limit the space to play in. Expect to see a lot of long distance shooting from Gareth!

No your probaly right I dont think he would start both either - however i dont think many of us expected sig to start on sunday - most people assumed holtby would get the nod.

Im sure he will spring a suprise or 2.

I wonder how sig must have felt when he was told he was starting - he has had a bit part to play this season (bid from reading) he hasnt seemed to be the happiest of players - low and behold he assist's bale for our first goal - im sure if Carrol started with parker then parker could guide him through the game and carrol could have a blinder.

I think Inter will rotate as well as they want UCL sol playing both might not be as risky as you think.

Back