• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Sunderland AFC

We gave away two points? We didn't take our chances, Sunderland took there's, we didn't give sunderland ****. They happily took. Does it annoy me? Sure. But why focus on the negatives when the positives outweigh them.

We gave away two points by not taking our chances, and gifting Sunderland two incredibly unneccessary goals.

I agree that there were lots of positives in our game, and that there was a lot of promise in that performance, but in the end it is two points lost that were there for the taking.

But I don't understand how you, straight after the game, can be happy when we have been by far the superior team, been ahead twice and then conceded a clumsy equaliser ten minutes from time? Why aren't you frustrated, angry, sad etc? I feel like I wanna go out on the street and kill every single person I see. How can you be so ****ing cool about it? Does it mean nothing to you?

This game shows a few things for me...

1) Kaboul and chiriches should never ever start as a partnership (tbh they shouldn't start period) in this league. Kaboul wasn't as awful as usual but Chiriches plays football like it's 5 a side. He does something good followed by something reckless all the time.

2) Dembele bossed the midfield. It's him plus one from now on please.

3) Rose performed very well yet again.

He sort of was when he was pushed up behind the striker, though. I think with Dembele it's a case of being given space to run and time to make decisions: playing further back, when he receives the ball and turns past the man closing him down, he has a lot of space to run into and time to make a decision on who to pass to. When played behind the striker, the minute he turns he's facing the opposition's back line, so he has very little space to dribble into and very little time to make a decision on who to pass to. Unfortunately, I don't think his decision-making will improve, and I don't think he will give up on dribbling in favour of quick passing, so perhaps it is best if he's only played further back, or perhaps out wide.

He had a good game today. As a DM. Not as an AM.

I agree he was better as a DM.

AGREE!

no matter how many times it happens to us. No matter how many times i expect it to happen to us. When it does happen i just wanna kill everyone!

Winds me up so much! wish i didnt like football at time.

**** the performance. yes it was good but we need 3 points!

For me when everyone is fit and on form this back four doesn't start. So it is a work in progress.

Dier at centre half from now on please.

Your loss then really if you got no enjoyment out of our performance. Maybe you should go support a team like Chelsea. They seem to be doing well.

zero enjoyment, because its the end result that matters. I've supported this team too long I guess, I'm a bit jaded but I've been hearing drivel like " but look at the positives" for years and nothing ever pans out from this. Chelsea wouldnt have drawn this game but there's a different mentality there of course.

I was massively faffed off till about 5pm but am over the time where I get annoyed for days over a football result now.

Looking back we played some great stuff, just need to cut out the silly mistakes and we could be in business

Liked the fluidity of the front 4 today, Demebele was good too, thought we defended fairly well at times too and this showed by Sunderland only having one attempt on target all game

Off for a nice night with the Mrs now, COYS

To be honest I knew it was going to be 2-2 at 2-1 as we always blow leads so just don't let it bother me anymore. When they scored I didn't even say anything change the emotion on my face, or get angry.

I agree he was better as a DM.

I was pleasantly surprised by his performance, honestly. I didn't expect him to be as good as he was defensively, and it made me reconsider my desire to see a partnership of Capoue-Stambouli.

As for the 'we threw away three points' posters, what were you expecting from this season, if you don't mind me asking? Top Four? Never, ever gonna happen given Levy and Baldini's performance this summer and our eternal -must maintain a positive net spend' stance. Three points in every game, right from the start? Impossible, and LvG's struggles plus AVB's struggling start at Spurs should have been enough to convince you of that fact. What exactly do you want?

We're slowly getting better, and playing with swagger in most games (although the occasional spanking, as proven by Liverpool, will happen). We won't get Top 4 this season: effectively, our only expectation is that Poch make us play like a cohesive unit in preparation for next season, while keeping us somewhat competitive (i.e, Top six). We're doing quite well if you look at it that way: despite our squad limitations (which arguably will hinder us in games like this when we lack the kind of world-class players like Costa and Sanchez that the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal possess), and despite Levy's usual reluctance to do anything to back the man he appointed, we're playing well and with a genuine freedom and vitality that I'm enjoying.

Relax. Write this season off. Enjoy the games as they come. And refocus your expectations for glory and CL football to next season, not this one. Don't let the commentators and media fool you into believing that we're in with a chance this season. We really aren't.

I thought it was important not to lose this game after the Liverpool match which we didn't so thats good but its still frustrating. Given how the match played out we should have taken 3 points. Hit the woodwork twice too.

I can't help but get the feeling that we have shot ourselves in the foot again. Start really well, take the lead and then allow them an equaliser within a few minutes. Then take charge early on in 2nd half and go on to concede an OG. Distinct lack of concentration/focus is costing us big time at the moment.

Theres a lot of positives to take from today but i really hope our players can get sort out this mentality issue. If we do i think Poch can take us far. If not then its going to be another frustrating year.

This season won't be top 4 or 5, it'll be 6 or 7th and it's the best we can look for really. It's all about next season. This season will be a frustrating year, so try not to expect anything good and anything else is a bonus.

I'm disappointed about the result but pleased with the performance.

I don't want to kill anyone on the street. I accept this as an unwanted part of football, we can't win every game but, at this stage, I'm looking to see good progress and I think, in terms of our attacking play, we showed some definite signs if improvement.

Defensively, a lot of work is needed. We looked too often exposed when Sunderland attacked us directly. Johnson's goal reminded me of Sterling's run against us a fortnight ago. Players seem too scared to make a challenge, so the player keeps on going. We need to shut off these opportunities quickly.

We conceded a silly free kick but the own goal was freakish.

Once we bring in the likes of Stambouli, for Capoue, and Fazio and Vertonghen, for Chiriches and Kaboul and we'll start getting there.

I think we're making strong forward progress. I liked Dembele's performance today.

I think we'll be top six this season but could make further strides forward next season. I'd like more than that but, if we achieve as above, I'll be pleased with our season. The most important aspect is performances and forward progress.

In what sense were we sitting on our lead?

I think we slowed down the tempo tactically and tried to kill the game off by passing around without really going for it. Perhaps we were just tired and Sunderland were not really causing any problems and we thought we could just coast to an easy victory. But either way, if we really went for more goals we could have got them and in that way we gambled and lost 2 points.

One other point, our full backs are often hugely exposed and left with little or no support. I presume part of the system is that Chadli and Lamela don't have to track back otherwise you have to question their role on this as against top teams we are going to suffer more "Liverpool" results.

We gave away two points by not taking our chances, and gifting Sunderland two incredibly unneccessary goals.

I agree that there were lots of positives in our game, and that there was a lot of promise in that performance, but in the end it is two points lost that were there for the taking.

But I don't understand how you, straight after the game, can be happy when we have been by far the superior team, been ahead twice and then conceded a clumsy equaliser ten minutes from time? Why aren't you frustrated, angry, sad etc? I feel like I wanna go out on the street and kill every single person I see. How can you be so ****ing cool about it? Does it mean nothing to you?

coming on here and reading the OTT woe is me we are the ****test team ever type comments is usually a good way to put things in to perspective, imv - maybe mumorn is the same.

At times I was glad we had Chiriches back there as he was calm in possession when we were passing it around the back. At other times, his need to overcomplicate things was almost our downfall. On current showing I think I'd rather see Dier get more games back there than Vlad. Best performance for a long time from Dembele today.

One thing I'm still concerned by is that a lot of the time Ade drops so deep and in the end we have a midfielder running towards the opposition back four with no option other than to turn back. It's great that he gets involved all over the pitch, but we need to recognise when he drops back that someone else needs to push forward.

PS: Something else that strikes me after these four games, is that Rose regularly will drop off his winger if that man drops deep. We saw it against Wham and today he also did it a few times, allowing Sunderland to lump the ball into the box for Wickham. Now is that something he is meant to be doing to allow us to eliminate the ball down the channel between him and Vlad/Jan or is it a case of his attention slipping?

Has anyone got a plausible explanation as to how a team of top flight international footballers can be so endlessly sh*t at taking and defending set pieces?
Every spurs fan has been saying it for years, so why aren't the coaching staff addressing it?

I was pleasantly surprised by his performance, honestly. I didn't expect him to be as good as he was defensively, and it made me reconsider my desire to see a partnership of Capoue-Stambouli.

As for the 'we threw away three points' posters, what were you expecting from this season, if you don't mind me asking? Top Four? Never, ever gonna happen given Levy and Baldini's performance this summer and our eternal -must maintain a positive net spend' stance. Three points in every game, right from the start? Impossible, and LvG's struggles plus AVB's struggling start at Spurs should have been enough to convince you of that fact. What exactly do you want?

We're slowly getting better, and playing with swagger in most games (although the occasional spanking, as proven by Liverpool, will happen). We won't get Top 4 this season: effectively, our only expectation is that Poch make us play like a cohesive unit in preparation for next season, while keeping us somewhat competitive (i.e, Top six). We're doing quite well if you look at it that way: despite our squad limitations (which arguably will hinder us in games like this when we lack the kind of world-class players like Costa and Sanchez that the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal possess), and despite Levy's usual reluctance to do anything to back the man he appointed, we're playing well and with a genuine freedom and vitality that I'm enjoying.

Relax. Write this season off. Enjoy the games as they come. And refocus your expectations for glory and CL football to next season, not this one. Don't let the commentators and media fool you into believing that we're in with a chance this season. We really aren't.

Didn't even read your post but I agree entirely. I've just summed up your well written post in a few sentences.

So close and yet so far to those 3pts today... #-o

v2wil5.jpg

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2014/matches/755341

Back