• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Sunderland AFC

This season won't be top 4 or 5, it'll be 6 or 7th and it's the best we can look for really. It's all about next season. This season will be a frustrating year, so try not to expect anything good and anything else is a bonus.

Oh yeah im not expecting top 4 this year. This is the first season for a few that i have tempered my expectations. Really happy with some of the things we are seeing under Poch so far but know its going to take time to really drill this squad into a fully functioning unit who have it technically, tactically but especially mentally.

Today should have been 3 points. We handed Sunderland the draw but i'm not to downhearted. Play like that most weeks and we'll win more often than not.

Don't get me wrong Suffolk it's ****ing annoying but I knew it would happen! Even when we went 2-1 up I said to my spurs mate down the pub it'll be 2-2! Now is that because we are so used to it as fans that we are so negative?

As each year passes in my life I just try not to let it bother me. But if we had won i would have been happy and confident about our season! Fickle, not sure but I do know I can't watch match of the day tonight as I never watch a draw when we draw from a winning position.

Saw a lot of progress from us out there today, also still a lot to work on. Good performance on the whole. You have to look at the performances in relation to what we saw under AVB and Sherwood. Under Rodgers Liverpool had a lot of these types of games in his first few seasons.

Played very well today but defensive errors cost us. I hope Fazio can steady the ship. Dembele was my MOTM total monster.

Played very well today but defensive errors cost us. I hope Fazio can steady the ship. Dembele was my MOTM total monster.

Defensive errors remain a consistency from last season. But some real progression out there on the whole.

Moaning minnies

Good GHod! You would have thought we had just been beaten by Fulham at home the way some of you lot talk. An away point is always good news, and some of our play was very composed. A little more luck and all 3 points. I don't see that giving an own goal away constitutes a lack of backbone. So chill out and enjoy the ride. We are the mighty Spurs, and we play entertaining football again.

In all honesty its not defensive errors that costs us, its a mentality issue - a fundamental one at that. You can have anyone out there on the pitch yet defending and holding out is an issue.

In all honesty its not defensive errors that costs us, its a mentality issue - a fundamental one at that. You can have anyone out there on the pitch yet defending and holding out is an issue.

Over the past few seasons I actually think we've really improved our mentality especially against sides like Sunderland. We have won 2-1 so many times against the like of Stoke and Sunderland.

sorry but that is such a cliche - we conceded a late equalizer, it happens. we didn't fall apart we didn't sit on our lead and crap it any time Sunderland came forward, we just conceded a sloppy goal in a game we should have won.

We gave away two points? We didn't take our chances, Sunderland took there's, we didn't give sunderland ****. They happily took. Does it annoy me? Sure. But why focus on the negatives when the positives outweigh them.

Spot on. Sums it up for me. I was far more pleased with this draw than our win there last year, which was just a horrible display of football. As long as we keep on seeing the system improving this season, I don't really care for the occasional slip-up, I don't think we're getting top 4 this season anyway. Would just like us to build a solid foundation for our next season, and play some entertaining football, like we did today.

In hindsight, once we were in the lead, I guess we were trying to sit a bit deeper and more solid, and hit them on the break with pace?

I'd have preferred to keep pushing forwards and break their spirit, it is just as fragile as Spurs' spirit!

But if that was our tactic Pock should have brought on the right players for a deep defence/ pacey break; putting Kane and Dembele as part of the front 4 does not give us pace, they were not in the game after the changes.

Gomez was going nowhere before Capoue decided to hand him a free kick. I knew as soon as it was given that they will score.

I still think that when Dier goes up, someone other than Capoue should ideally be on the cover. It was clever play by Gomez. He knew the mis-match.

sorry but that is such a cliche - we conceded a late equalizer, it happens. we didn't fall apart we didn't sit on our lead and crap it any time Sunderland came forward, we just conceded a sloppy goal in a game we should have won.

Well said…anyone who sees this as 'same old Spurs' in actual quality of performance is simply wrong. Mentality? Not even there. For me, this was down to simple defensive lapses. Yes, we must cut them out, but having hit the woodwork twice, I think we're entitled to feel bewildered.

The pattern of play we're establishing is really encouraging. We will have rough patches with it, but I would much rather see us try to play the ball out than hoof it and win the % ball. I look at our CBs and really feel that if we can address the issues there (Younes needs to be back-up at best) with some consistency and a blend that works (Verts and Fazio? Verts and Dier when/if Walker's back and Yedlin arrives) then we will be onto something.

The manager needs proper backing. I agree with Dubai, with DL in charge he will always have to forage, but perhaps IF we get bought, then his ship can come in.

League is mental again, 4th is up for grabs, dippers lost, let's keep faith and perspective. I LIKE what I'm seeing...

Moaning minnies

Good GHod! You would have thought we had just been beaten by Fulham at home the way some of you lot talk. An away point is always good news, and some of our play was very composed. A little more luck and all 3 points. I don't see that giving an own goal away constitutes a lack of backbone. So chill out and enjoy the ride. We are the mighty Spurs, and we play entertaining football again.

=D>=D>=D>

The defence still worries me, need to get a settled back 4 working. Too many sloppy mistakes and this has been going on for a couple of seasons now.

Don't despair about the defence just yet; we haven't even tried Fazio or Dier at centre back yet, let alone given them some games to bed in.

Kaboul and Chiriches are not first choice centre backs.

Walker is a great right back once he gets fit, and we have 2 left backs for the first time in ages.

A deflected goal and an own goal conceded. But we look what we are - a new team. Lacked some assuredness to finish and hold them out.

The massive positive, is that in a matter of a few games, Tottenham Hotspur has become a consummate passing side. Yes there is plenty of work to do - and a challage for Poch when the team needs to settle yet he needs to rotate players. But all credit to him for getting us passing and moving.

Not 100% on the pressing yet. Its too wild at times and leaves the players funked after 75 mins.

It's up to Poch to do what he can with what he has, because the chances of him getting what he wants are ridiculously low given the current ownership situation and team-building strategy. Build with bargains, Poch.

Kind of agree. You have focused on the club and its actions quite a bit recently, with some justification. That said, the plight of Poch isn't that different to our former managers...is it? Do you feel its different to what he was led to believe? And, as I recall, a big part of why he was brought in and why people wanted him is because he could do more with less, on a shoestring, and get the most out of players? In other words, within the parameters and structures of this club. If he's a huge upgrade over our recent choices, as alleged, then presumably that should manifest itself. Significantly. I would add that I thought his substitutions today were quite horrible and in some ways changed the game, for which previous managers would have been crucified. We should have scored more, but even at 2-1 you have to find ways to win those. I know, early doors and all that, there are some good signs, and I'll take a point today.

Last edited:
Back