• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR VS southampton

Last season we paid the price for not investing in the transfer window. Thinking we could do it with a Blackburn reject and a fourth choice Everton striker was poor business.

I'm sick of hearing how "shrewd" a business head Levy is. He took a risk thinking that Champions League spot was money in the bank and we left behind one of the best squads we've had in years at the peak of their playing ability trophyless and having to re-build from scratch in the summer.

Clint Dempsey and Sigurdsson are mid-table material. money would have been better spent on one true quality player instead.

Risk has to be measured up against the reward for all available options.

You seem very happy for Levy to take a risk and spend a large amount of money on a single player who may or may not work out, even at a time when the managerial situation at the club was unstable. This is not a risk? The reward does not follow automatically.

iKqwiw0SqPPxV.gif

from TFC

=D>

If it was that unstable then he should have stabilised the situation sooner. It wasn't as if there was any love lost between him and Harry. It was nothing new the Harry situation and in January the decision was a simple one. Get that 3rd slot or don't invest and hope we ride our luck. It didn't pay off.

If he started the season with a manager he didn't have confidence in then you have to ask yourself why.

If we'd have scraped through to the Champs League everyone would have praised Levy's "restraint" but the evidence was there for anyone with half a football brain to see that we needed a goalscorer. We still ain't got a quality goalscorer Defoe's new lease of life aside.

Cisse was available and we could have done with his goalscoring form until the end of the season. That would have eliminated the risk from any transfer payout. By the end of the season he'd doubled in value too so we could have traded him in. Alot of business heads talk about taking risks but they're usually playing with big money are reluctant to invest unless a big return is guaranteed.

If they'd have had a football head instead of a business one they'd have made that investment we all knew we needed. At the right time. When it comes to makinng the right call for investment at the right times Levy and Lewis have cooled off.

We take your attitude we'll never take another risk again, just be taking pot risks at upgrading mediocre talent from mid-lower table clubs. That in itself has risks as we have seen with the likes of Bentley and other players who end up on a nice contract and who we can't shift for love nor money.

You talk about taking risks Levy took a risk by not investing. One that didn't pay off. And yes we did tell him so in January.

Last edited:
Not many. I know you're one if the most insnaely negative and bitchy spurs fans on here, but at least speak facts. Its' the first half we're notoriously brick in.

Funny that. Fact - 83% of goals we have conceded have been in the second half.

That is the highest in the league by some way.

And that stat was before todays game - so it is now higher.

If it was that unstable then he should have stabilised the situation sooner. It wasn't as if there was any love lost between him and Harry. It was nothing new the Harry situation and in January the decision was a simple one. Get that 3rd slot or don't invest and hope we ride our luck. It didn't pay off.

If he started the season with a manager he didn't have confidence in then you have to ask yourself why.

If we'd have scraped through to the Champs League everyone would have praised Levy's "restraint" but the evidence was there for anyone with half a football brain to see that we needed a goalscorer. We still ain't got a quality goalscorer Defoe's new lease of life aside.

Cisse was available and we could have done with his goalscoring form until the end of the season. That would have eliminated the risk from any transfer payout. By the end of the season he'd doubled in value too so we could have traded him in. Alot of business heads talk about taking risks but they're usually playing with big money are reluctant to invest unless a big return is guaranteed.

If they'd have had a football head instead of a business one they'd have made that investment we all knew we needed. At the right time. When it comes to makinng the right call for investment at the right times Levy and Lewis have cooled off.

We take your attitude we'll never take another risk again, just be taking pot risks at upgrading mediocre talent from mid-lower table clubs. That in itself has risks as we have seen with the likes of Bentley and other players who end up on a nice contract and who we can't shift for love nor money.

You talk about taking risks Levy took a risk by not investing. One that didn't pay off. And yes we did tell him so in January.

There's no way of knowing whether he would have had the same impact at Spurs that he had at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He certainly would not have gone straight into the first team.

Our biggest problem in terms of players in the second half of last season was lack of cover for Lennon.

They all went for more than market rate.

Yeah, that's why I said you pay a premium, but quality not moving is a myth, you have to get out the checkbook, or identify players under the radar (Keisuke Honda for £3m) but you can buy in January.

Our biggest problem second half of the season was scoring goals. And you don't think Cisse would not have got in ahead of Saha? Behave :ross:

No way of knowing. Course there is, it's called a football brain and you judge by the form a player is in at the time.

One thing there was of knowing was that Saha was a washed up waste of space who was only here to ride like a journeyman pro til the end of the season when he decided to sell a book and tell us all how pleased he was that Chelsea won the Champs League.

Turned out nice. For him. No way of knowing that if Saha had of experimented with this new wonder drug in California that has injected a remarkable reinvigoration of youth in all that have tried it and reverses the ageing process 8 years that we would have made 3rd slot if he did.

Could have happened. But since Saha never underwent trials during the transfer window I guess all we can say is we'll never know for sure. What does seem to be a major clue regarding signings is whether a player is in the first team. And when Everton or Blackburn can't wait to get shot of a player you know you've snagged yourself a real contender\o/

Yeah, you just never know. About anything. That way we are never right and Levy and the board are never wrong. How convenient.

Last edited:
Swap out the names and it's just like this place, just slightly different expectations.

garbage..far far too open yet again

Wouldnt say we were open, just poor defending. They never cut us open like other teams have so far.

we werer...we gave up the middle of the park...it was an embarrassment in the 1st half....they had all the time they needed....we are too open and as such, we dont make ourselves difficult to beat..

our two in the middle were getting pulled all over the place, which has a knock on effect

Well, we got to see our relegation team and our mid-table team all in one match.

I missed the first half so I only saw the mid-table team. We were much better when we changed to our regular formation (4-2-3-1). Not sure if this was down to Mayuka playing better then Puncheon or if it was down to the system but we got a flow in our game we didn't have before. A real shame we couldn't get that second goal, I think we deserved it on our second half performance (especially the last 30 mins) but on the other hand I understood from the "experts" on Viasat that our first 45 were so bad we were lucky not to be down by 3 or 4.

Very lucky not be out if sight in the first half. No one person came out of that half with any credit. Second half so much better we seem to want the ball more challenge more, track more. Maybe unlucky not to score the second goal.

Still fear that we are GHod awful when under real pressure and Boric - will you please ****ing grow a pair. You scared ****less to come out and claim a ball.

refreshing 2nd half where it almost looked like we would nick a point! mayuka looked lively and should start the next game ahead of punch. IMO boruc looks slow and indecisive, drop him for gazza plus start mayuka ahead of punch.

For the first 10 min we were all over them, the last 30 was the same!

Only 5 players away from being a good side.

Why can't we put in a full shift? The likes of Norwich, Swansea Wigan go at it for the full game. We are only managing one good half each week at best. Surely can't be fitness issue this early in the season.

****e defending on 2 occasions in first half, much better 2nd. Need to string together a 90+ mins performance

Their second goal illustrated their rub of the green and our lack of it.
Jose gets back, dramtically clears off the line only for the ball to go to the only Spurs player in the vicinity, and not to one of many Saints players.

I don't know what Adkins said at half time but I wish he'd said it before kick-off.

One thing I will say, the fans that booed when Guly came on (and there were lots of them), please don't come to St Marys again. Get behind the team FFS!

Just got home. Quite early on, we put several balls into the Spurs box and caused them a few problems. But as the half progressed, we seemed to settle into a predictable dull period where we showed them too respect and didn't shut them down or come away with the ball from 50/50 challenges. Had we pressed them, not allowed them time and space, we could have rattled them, but we played that first half in a manner reminiscent of us against Wigan.

Not a lot we could have done about the Bale goal really, but their second goal was a disgraceful bit of misjudgment by Boruc, who should have come for the ball earlier and more purposefully. I feel certain that either of Kelvin or Gazzaniga would have been more decisive and we would have come away from the match with a point. Having heard on the radio going home of the incident with the Chapel fans, then as far as I'm concerned he can pack his bags and disappear back under whatever stone we found him under.

I don't know what Adkins said to them at half time, but the team played very much better in every respect. When the first substitution were made, although Puncheon hadn't been bad, Mayuka was excellent and the momentum changed in our favour almost right away. With Rodrigues goal coming reasonably early on, there was enough time to at least get a point through the pressure we exerted on them, but despite peppering their goal, it wasn't to be.

As stated already, that second half performance was the one that would ensure we ended the season mid table, whereas the first half performance would see us relegated.

There are several pluses to take away from the game, or at least the second half of it:-

Mayuka should start, as his pace and guile are a problem for defences.
It must be remembered that Spurs were 4th last season and yet we had them under the cosh in the second half.
Were we to have had the additional options of Ramirez, Cork and Lee available, we might well have beaten them.
We saw in the second half that the best form of defence is attack.
Adkins is learning in the Premiership and got the substitutions right today.
Rodrigues will have had a confidence boost, having scored his first Premiership goal.

Otherwise...
Boruc, well I wouldn't shed any tears not to see him play in a Saints shirt again.

A good result against Leeds on Tuesday will give us a confidence boost, but we can take enough away from this game to start turning the corner.

Regarding the crowd and atmosphere, we need to give Spurs fans a massive thank you for being idiotic enough as to chant our song. It developed into a competitition as to who could sing it loudest. They could never out-sing us so that the crucial word "Spurs" would be heard above "Saints" and so the appearance was given that the whole stadium was behind the team. It gave our players a massive lift and they stepped up the tempo accordingly.

"Regarding the crowd and atmosphere, we need to give Spurs fans a massive thank you for being idiotic enough as to chant our song. It developed into a competitition as to who could sing it loudest. They could never out-sing us so that the crucial word "Spurs" would be heard above "Saints" and so the appearance was given that the whole stadium was behind the team. It gave our players a massive lift and they stepped up the tempo accordingly. "

This made me laugh, everytime we sang it they copied it, im sorry but even when all their inbred fans sang it, it still wasnt half as loud or good as when its done properly by Spurs fans

I heard 'Spurs' a lot more than I heard 'Saints'. Especially in the period between us going 2-0 up and them getting one back.

I heard 'Spurs' a lot more than I heard 'Saints'. Especially in the period between us going 2-0 up and them getting one back.

They were as quiet as a mouse until they scored, fairly noisy aferwards though, it was noisy when I went there a few years back

We really needed to win this match. Really glad we did. There were doubts if we can recover from the Chelsea defeat. But we have now proven we got the mentality to recover from setbacks like that. This despite having injury problems and playing in Europa League in mid week. Forget about the poor performance in the 2nd half. It is the result that counts ! Well done to the team and AVB !

We played well in the 1st half and deserved to win this match. We could have won this match comfortably if we had make use of the chances we created in the 1st half. I think Walker wasted a golden chance to make it 3-0. If he had scored that, the match would have been over by then. But instead we became complacent and started to get ****y. It almost cost us the match. Fortunately, Southampton didn't have any established strikers to punish us.

Big credit for Bale for the excellent header for our 1st goal. Bale seems to be improving all the time. Just wish we can keep him. Defoe deserved to be credited for our 2nd goal but too bad the defender stopped it on the line. Not impressed with Dempsey but he seems to be getting lucky with his 2 goals so far, both tap-in into empty net. I think no one will complain if he can score more goals like that.

Again disappointed with us conceding the goal. It seems like Friedel will never keep a clean sheet this season. So, we will always need to score 3 goals against big teams and 2 goals against shyte teams like Southampton to win matches. It is always a good feeling when we win matches. Just hope we can go on another winning run now.

Back