• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs SCBC ****

But so much of this is down to him. He has had the funds to rebuild the squad. He has the position to motivate the players, get them to be better than they are and to work tirelessly, collectively, together. And yet the team’s failings are in part at least a reflection of Conte’s failings, but he blames anyone else but himself.
Of course, a coach always have to shoulder part of the blame. But we have been in the same position too many times for it to just be the manager. Also I don’t particularly buy the ‘we have backed Conte because we have spent x amount of money’. We have bought some talented players under Paratici, but as Conte has been all too happy to let it be known many aren’t Conte players. You can spend all the money you want, but if not players that suit Contes style and mentality it’s not really backing him.

Another reason why it’s best to let him go and get in someone with a different style. Conte isn’t going to be getting the players he truly wants much - Spence, Gil, Danjuma, Sarr etc is some exciting talent that under the right coach will blossom….

Of course, a coach always have to shoulder part of the blame. But we have been in the same position too many times for it to just be the manager. Also I don’t particularly buy the ‘we have backed Conte because we have spent x amount of money’. We have bought some talented players under Paratici, but as Conte has been all too happy to let it be known many aren’t Conte players. You can spend all the money you want, but if not players that suit Contes style and mentality it’s not really backing him.

Another reason why it’s best to let him go and get in someone with a different style. Conte isn’t going to be getting the players he truly wants much - Spence, Gil, Danjuma, Sarr etc is some exciting talent that under the right coach will blossom….

Yep he is the wrong fit for us but make no mistake just as he was successful before us, he will be successful after us.

Meanwhile what will we do? Get EL most seasons and flirt with 4th. Great.

We can all sit back now and watch uae v saudi v qatar and whoever next. What a time we live in.

Would you spend big on conte players knowing he doesn’t want to be here?

and the reason the results on him is because he made negative subs which sends the wrong messages to his team. that’s a simple one he can take the blame for

Can't hold on to a two goal lead against the bottom team in the league. Really awful.
And it's not even like we needed to hold on for the entire match. Just the last 15 mins.

That being said, that was one of the most borderline penalty decisions I have ever seen. If the ref hadn't blown for a pen, VAR would have never called it.

Last edited:

I agree but we knew that before we appointed him. Can't help thinking his appointment was a vanity project. Shiny new stadium and appointing a high profile super coach. The optics are brilliant for the corporate brand.

It's likely, because most leagues outside the PL are just crap. Winksy is smashing Serie A, which shows you the standard of that league.

Conte is still good enough to drill his methods into that old man's league, and he's welcome to it.

But he's been found out in the richest league in the world.
There's a significant element of truth about the statement re Conte.

When he won the title with Chelsea in a season when they didn't have European football, they outperformed their xPts by 17. That's a crazy number. Outperforming by 5 or 10 you can say OK. But 17?! And City that year underperformed theirs by 7. Based on performances Chelsea should have finished 10 points behind City, but ended up finishing 15 pts ahead of them. So a lot of luck was involved in that title: good for Chelsea and bad for City. And in the year he won the title with Inter they outperformed their xPts by 14. So in his last two title runs, neither of his teams performed as a title winning side.

So yeah, I think that we may have overblown how good Conte is. Sure he has this "I hate to lose" mentality, but that alone will not win you games. You have to be an astute tactician, set up your teams to play to their strengths rather than a rigid system, and read the game well. Conte doesn't seem to excel in any of these areas.

A good thing long term. The fools in charge will be hit in the only place that matters to them. The pocket.

Said that on here after the FA Cup defeat. Levy is painted as a genius by some. He gets an awful lot wrong on the footballing side.
I have to disagree with both points. First of all, it's not like ENIC are skimming the profits the club makes. All the money goes back into the team. ENIC will make money off Spurs when they sell and the value is sky high as it is. So anything that hits the club in the pocket short-term is to the detriment of the football side of things.

As for Levy getting a lot wrong on the footballing side, he is not involved with the footballing side. That's Paratici's and the manager's responsibility. If there is one area where he has gotten things wrong it could be in managerial appointments that are not in line with Spurs' DNA. Not hiring the right coaches and setting up the right system to establish a footballing philosophy from youth to senior team. That's one criticism that we should levy (see what I did here :p) against him. But in all other areas and how he has grown the club to be in a position to expect finishing high in the table, he has been outstanding.

There's a significant element of truth about the statement re Conte.

When he won the title with Chelsea in a season when they didn't have European football, they outperformed their xPts by 17. That's a crazy number. Outperforming by 5 or 10 you can say OK. But 17?! And City that year underperformed theirs by 7. Based on performances Chelsea should have finished 10 points behind City, but ended up finishing 15 pts ahead of them. So a lot of luck was involved in that title: good for Chelsea and bad for City. And in the year he won the title with Inter they outperformed their xPts by 14. So in his last two title runs, neither of his teams performed as a title winning side.

So yeah, I think that we may have overblown how good Conte is. Sure he has this "I hate to lose" mentality, but that alone will not win you games. You have to be an astute tactician, set up your teams to play to their strengths rather than a rigid system, and read the game well. Conte doesn't seem to excel in any of these areas.
Whilst I get your logic
The manager has to take some credit for our performing so much surely
The Italian league is a poor league
Napoli are exceptional this season but beyond then it’s poor (and I await the comments on champions league this season)

Would you spend big on conte players knowing he doesn’t want to be here?

and the reason the results on him is because he made negative subs which sends the wrong messages to his team. that’s a simple one he can take the blame for

It's why we have a dof. He should be getting players to fit the clubs vision and also get managers that fit that. We need an identity.

Still to be seen if paratici is the right choice. After nuno and conte, i'm not sure.

It's why we have a dof. He should be getting players to fit the clubs vision and also get managers that fit that. We need an identity.

Still to be seen if paratici is the right choice. After nuno and conte, i'm not sure.
He should be setting the vision and the way of playing
The coach’s job is to make that work

Due to pants connection in Wales I never got to watch the 2nd half on a stream. Now I am back home I have watched that penalty over and over and over again, and I am still no wiser to how that is possibly given in the first place, and even worse how VAR has not over-turned the initial decision, it is totally bizarre.

And call me for wearing lilywhite-tinted glasses, but that penalty is NOT awarded against City, Liverpool, United, etc; It was a complete disgrace of a decision

Due to pants connection in Wales I never got to watch the 2nd half on a stream. Now I am back home I have watched that penalty over and over and over again, and I am still no wiser to how that is possibly given in the first place, and even worse how VAR has not over-turned the initial decision, it is totally bizarre.

And call me for wearing lilywhite-tinted glasses, but that penalty is NOT awarded against City, Liverpool, United, etc; It was a complete disgrace of a decision
It’s that odd VAR gonad*s of ‘clear and obvious error’ methinks. Which is kind of a grey area. Offside is examined forensically, so clear and obvious error doesn’t apply. But penalties not so much. I think you either go all out with VAR (while improving the metrics and approach and camera angles) or you don’t. How many millimeters offside decisions go against the striker, but on other decisions they let the ref get away with the wrong - and costly - decision.

That being said, there is rot again at our club, rotting from the head down, as always.

True, but we did try the other way for a very very long time.

Did we? We've been flip flopping for years. Jol to ramos to redknapp to avb to sherwood to poch to mourinho to nuno to conte.

Jol, redknapp and poch were favoured by the fans (even if conte achieved more than jol, ramos aswell). Why is that? Personality? Style of play? Figure that out. Then find the best manager that matches those qualities. That should be the vision. Then support them with players good enough to win things.

Back