• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. READING - OMT***

Hopefully we can kick on now.

2 home games and a trip to Carlisle gives us a great chance to get a mini-run going before the trip to Old Trafford

Listen to what Hoddle is saying on Sky right now, Bale had a good game off the ball. His movement was excellent. Yes he wasn't getting the ball and running down the wing, but if one of our players got it and ran with the ball, he used his pace to pull the defenders all over the park. He had an intelligent game, a coaches game but not necessarily a fans game.

Defoe was fantastic. To pick him apart today is just negative hate for the sake of it. Yes he could have scored even more, but no striker is perfect. They are all human. He probably could have laid Bale off that one time, but he may also have scored it another.

At the end of the day, we have just gone to what could have been a very tricky game for us as no game is easy in the PL, and we have completely played them off the park. 20 shots to 4. 60% possession. This could have been the 6-0 thrashing that Walker was talking about in his interviews leading up to the game. And our movement was excellent. Intelligent and brilliant. This is a glimpse of what we should be seeing from AVB's Spurs, and it seems to have clicked for our players.

I guess flimflam hasn't baffled them after all.

I said this during the match, that Bale was playing to a system and that he would be very very helpful in that sense. THIS is what I personally mean by 'next level coaching' the simple teaching to a class player that it is not always on them to single-handedly win every match. He STILL had an impact AND he scored. I cannot countenance Defoe criticism today. He is finally been given a proper run in the team and not just lip-service. He is adapting to the role wonderfully. The only weak link was Sig, who I won't write off for a few more months as perhaps he needs the time to find the pace and toughness necessary but for me, he was too easily bounced off too many balls by a side who aren't actually too physical. SO many positives today, and (in fairness) this is precisely what should've been the result at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and against WBA.

As for the last quote, the man who said it will live to regret it. Very very foolish thing to make public. Should've kept quiet.

you're acting like a real taco if I'm the first thing you thought of after a win.

Yeah, it doesn't matter! I think King naturally is a bit nervous pre-match Rossi, and as such, this was his way of preparing for potential disappointment. We're all different. I personally felt we'd win today and that we've been playing well (bar Norwich) but King comes from another angle. Doesn't mean he loves the club any less, in fact I'd wager he was absolutely as happy as any of us mate.

We are all Spurs!

COYS!

Defoe and Lennon should be kept as impact subs imo.

Defoe apparently has scored almost all of his goals for Spurs after the hour mark. Interestingly, for England he has not completed the full 90 minutes once in each of his 50 caps.

Lennon is better against tiring opposition. His injection of pace and width at a crucial time could easily turn games in our favour and maximise his input for Spurs

Whoops

Mate you deserve a ribbing after your tirade. Smile, we won. And we looked good!

Nah, disagree matey, I think today is a day we embrace EVERYONE, the optimists, the nervous, the skeptical, and we move FORWARDS. I don't care what people on these boards have said in the run up, we won and as Spurs, I KNOW we're all happy!

I said this during the match, that Bale was playing to a system and that he would be very very helpful in that sense. THIS is what I personally mean by 'next level coaching' the simple teaching to a class player that it is not always on them to single-handedly win every match. He STILL had an impact AND he scored. I cannot countenance Defoe criticism today. He is finally been given a proper run in the team and not just lip-service. He is adapting to the role wonderfully. The only weak link was Sig, who I won't write off for a few more months as perhaps he needs the time to find the pace and toughness necessary but for me, he was too easily bounced off too many balls by a side who aren't actually too physical. SO many positives today, and (in fairness) this is precisely what should've been the result at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and against WBA.

Agree with just about all of that.

Although Bale can be menacing down the left it's not exactly like we score from a ton of his crosses, getting him in central more gives us another real goal threat as he showed today. Could see one of the coaches pointing at his right foot and smiling at Bale when he was subbed, looked like they had been working on using his right foot in training or something.

I still agree that Defoe is starting to look right for this role under AVB, main problem is avoiding long balls. Dembele into the centre goes some way towards fixing that, Lloris in goal would help further.

Sig was a bit up and down today, wonderful pass to Lennon to set up the chance for the first goal. Some good stuff, some more disappointing, but getting more involved than against Norwich. Ran a lot and looked really tired before coming off, good timing on the sub imo. Wouldn't say that he was the weak link today, him and Dembele seemed to be on the same wavelength quite a bit and combined nicely at times, he also got himself into some very good positions even though he didn't always get the ball. Still very early days.

Anyway I'm on the train leaving Hampton court. Whilst looking at the portrait of Henry VIII and all his conquests I kept thinking about spurs so turns out I do care more than I thought.

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter
Benoit Assou-Ekotto has "bone fragment" aggravating knee and may need small op. If he does, AVB says he will be out for "four weeks" #thfc

:(

not necessarily but as he showed last year he has an eye for an assist as well, we score more goals with ade in the side in my opinion

Yes but in AVBs system his central striker needs to be one that simply scores goals. We have so many creators now we dont need Ade who drifts out wide half the time, and Defoe has added to his game - he definitely is stronger,holds the ball up more frequently and links better than before. Ade will get his chances but im not surprised AVB is running with Defoe at the moment and the reaction on here earlier to him starting was embarrassing......

Nah, disagree matey, I think today is a day we embrace EVERYONE, the optimists, the nervous, the skeptical, and we move FORWARDS. I don't care what people on these boards have said in the run up, we won and as Spurs, I KNOW we're all happy!

Screw you and positive vibes Steff! ;)

(note: smiley gets me out of infraction)

Yes but in AVBs system his central striker needs to be one that simply scores goals. We have so many creators now we dont need Ade who drifts out wide half the time, and Defoe has added to his game - he definitely is stronger,holds the ball up more frequently and links better than before. Ade will get his chances but im not surprised AVB is running with Defoe at the moment and the reaction on here earlier to him starting was embarrassing......

Prior to today we'd played 10 times with Defoe upfront on his own and won just once, and that was only because Defoe was sent off after 25 minutes. The reaction was justified.

Prior to today we'd played 10 times with Defoe upfront on his own and won just once, and that was only because Defoe was sent off after 25 minutes. The reaction was justified.

Do you understand that we are and will be playing a different system under AVB?

No one here has been arguing that we did well with Defoe as a lone striker under Harry, when people have been arguing over the summer that Defoe could make it as the lone striker under AVB it was just that, under AVB. Stats from back when Harry was in charge aren't really at that relevant.

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial

Just caught @IAmJermainDefoe, he said: Great performance, we created a lot of chances. Movement was key. We worked hard on & off the ball
Also caught Andre post match: “Excellent performance, very happy. The players were brilliant today.”
More from Andre: “We are going in the right direction. The focus and determination was excellent to win the game for fans.”

I thought it was a top performance all round. I actually thought the defensive side of the game was the most impressive. People will say Reading are brick, but in their other 2 games this season, they looked far more dangerous. Against us they were only a mild threat for a short period in the second half and that had for more to do with the way we played, not just on the ball, but in terms of stopping them with it. Defoe could have scored 4 or 5, which shows it was the right decision to start him. I think the vast majority would have chosen Ade, but would he have been such a threat? I doubt it. I'd say Bale was the only disappointment, despite his goal. I thought we looked far more likely down the right with Lennon.

The system isn't much different at all, either way, more often than not Defoe up top on his own won't work. Maybe if we played sides like Reading every week but unfortunately we don't.

Back