• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Olympic Marseille ***

66% payback on attempts on goal, now that's efficiency! Weren't we once on the receiving end of a 24-1 or something and lost 0-1? And it says again (and again) that possession stats doesn't mean much at all.
That infamous United game at Wembley when Trippier fluffed his pass to Lamela first half allowing Rashford to put United ahead? Then in the second half we pounded their goal non-stop but De Gea kept sticking a foot out.

Uh oh. @AjaxDeSuperYids, Bentancur (0%).

He started the Bournemouth Town game on the bench so came into the Marseille game at around 89%. He also came off with a bit of time to spare last night so probably finished the game at about 64%. Now with 4 clear days rest before the Pool game he should go into that one at around 93%.

Its Kane who we should be worried about as he started the game last night at 60% and finished it on 43%. With the 4 days rest he should go into the Pool game at about 79% and be at 100% for Leeds, assuming he is fully rested against Forest in the League Cup.

Was there any trouble after the game? I've not seen or heard of any so I assume not, perhaps after the CL final police have been instructed to refrained from their usual heavy handed actions.

One of the most equally frustrating and exhilarating matches watching us in recent years.

The cheap turnovers from Son, Moura, Sessegnon, Hojbjerg and Dier had me pulling my hair out!
Even as steady as Emerson was in that second half the frustrating times he'd be going forward in a decent position only for him to turn and pass the ball backwards. Arghh!!

But the ecstasy of the headed goal from Lenglet, the relief seeing that ex-Gooner Kolasinac miss that sitter and then the lovely and smart pass from Kane to Hojbjerg for the winner...BLISS!!!

Got out of jail somewhat but it was good to see us be far less passive in the second half and given the cauldron we were playing in we just about earnt our luck. Perhaps...

Anyway, something for those Gooners who said we'd be with them in the Europa by the New Year to suck and choke on! COYS!

However, if we play like that vs Liverpool we will get BATTERED!

That's the problem we play counter attacking football but invite top teams to have a go and the likely hood is that they will score. We need to find some balance, however we have scored the third most goals in the league and got a sound defence at 4th best.

One other point, and we won so it's purely for the sake of discussion, but our lack of an outball on their corners is borderline stupid. We have everyone back in our box and when we get it clear, we have no one to get it to or to put their defenders under pressure when they mop up the clearance. It's crazy and happened several times first half and the ball just came back to us. I don't believe having that extra body back outweighs the benefit of having someone up the pitch.

I know Conte has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know but I just do not get it.

100% agree with you but apparently the statos appear to differ as fewer goals are conceded with everyone back and the extra concessions are not made up by leaving someone upfront. I would certainly like to see Son up on the halfway line . He is a useless defender and his speed on the counterattack would be a useful weapon.

100% agree with you but apparently the statos appear to differ as fewer goals are conceded with everyone back and the extra concessions are not made up by leaving someone upfront. I would certainly like to see Son up on the halfway line . He is a useless defender and his speed on the counterattack would be a useful weapon.

If it's statistically proven that the extra player in the box is a better approach, I'll stand corrected. Intuitively, it feels wrong to me but I guess I'd have to trust professionals with a stack of data on it.

Forget them.
Unfortunately, joy thieves seem to enjoy sucking the life out of anything they can. How about pointing out to them that had PEH’s rifle been a millimetre lower, or had Kane not fluffed a near tap in himself, it wouldn’t have mattered. I am tired of the constant drone of critisicm. We know where we are and we know what we’re doing. We know what the injuries are and we know that it is not the most attractive football. But, 4 points from our last two home games guarantees top 4 going into the world cup break and we just topped our CL group despite it all.
And if someone cannot enjoy tonight’s result without that Kolasinac flimflam, then they need to get a life!

I wish i could like that post more then once.

The media keep banging on about Conte's negative tactics. But it's pretty clear the Italian sets his team up to mostly contain first half whilst hoping to pinch something on the counter. Then second half it's plan B, push up from the back and go on the offensive. It's made for some really brick first halfs, especially more recently, but this has mainly been due to a combination of Kulu's and Richarlison's injuries, Son's atrocious form and Kane being heavily overworked as a result.

Conte is no doubt banking on the fact we are fitter overall than most and are therefore more likely to break teams down the longer the game goes on. Was shocked last night how Marseille totally caved in and allowed Kane and Hojbjerg to break out in the final minute, but can only assume they were just too knackered to give chase. Kane looked dead on his feet but still somehow managed to summon up enough energy to put Hojbjerg through. Where DID the Dane find the strength to produce that resounding winner?

Something to do with Conte's notorious fitness regime perhaps?

I could have sworn we had more than that in xG, but I'm probably thinking of the last ditch tackle on Kane and a couple of crosses where no one go on the end of them, which don't count in the xG. On the flip side, the Marseille xG includes a lot of blocked shots.
You have to question the value of xG stats when they fail to reflect the way some teams prioritise defence whilst others lack a cutting edge.

I could have sworn we had more than that in xG, but I'm probably thinking of the last ditch tackle on Kane and a couple of crosses where no one go on the end of them, which don't count in the xG. On the flip side, the Marseille xG includes a lot of blocked shots.
I thought the same, but I think it’s because we had a few moments in the 2nd half like the Kane last ditch tackle that wouldn’t count on xg. We got in some great positions with extra men and overloads, but couldn’t find the final pass or get the shot off.

I refuse to make sweeping judgements on Conte’s setup for games during this insane schedule and our injuries.

I will wait until the second half of the campaign when the schedule returns to some normality, our injuries ease and another window (Jan 2023) has been exploited to further fine tune the squad.

For a fella who has been labelled a drama queen, that's one of the most sensible posts I've seen on here.

Back