• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool ***

4)But Kane missed an easier chance, if we're throwing spanners around, where's the one aimed at Kane? It happens.
:eek: Did you watch the close-up replay in the post-match analysis? That chance was far from easy. By the time the cross reached Kane it was chest height so had to stoop down to it. I'd say he did well just nodding it towards the goal.

Great post otherwise. :cool:

That did happen - in the World Cup (not quite that many pens though). Then everyone stopped doing it and it died down.

V(AR)ictimpool at it again.

If the ref doesn't pull them up for it, they are just being clever clams. There is no point complaining about it, Dier should've made more of it or at least blocked Henderson's run.

Big, strong, imposing, with a bit of pace. Presumably also someone whose consistent at a high level, has a good meteorology. Leadership qualities perhaps. Has to be good defending along the ground too I guess? Preferably at least rather good on the ball?

Should be easy enough to sort out.
Sounds a bit like Rondon.

Doesn't tick the experienced box but he's a potential solution already here.

If the ref doesn't pull them up for it, they are just being clever clams. There is no point complaining about it, Dier should've made more of it or at least blocked Henderson's run.
I think falling over was making plenty of it.

I don't think that not seeing it is why the ref and VAR didn't give it. I think it's simply far easier for them to ignore it than to deny the champions elect a goal at home in the dying seconds.

I don't think that not seeing it is why the ref and VAR didn't give it. I think it's simply far easier for them to ignore it than to deny the champions elect a goal at home in the dying seconds.

I don't think it being Liverpool had anything to do with the decision. I can't remember the last time that I saw a goal disallowed for a push from a corner.

It was smart because we look to crowd the central areas and it left us a body short. Why Kane didn't jump, I'll never know.

I'd say that part of the problem lies with the expectations.

Apparently, some people out there believe we have to win the league this season. I suppose that's because they expect Mourinho to leave in a year or so. Regardless of whether that happens or not, I think Mourinho's right to say we're not there yet. We might pull out a Leicester and win it but we certainly don't have to. I'd say the most important thing this season is to get back in the Champions League, if only for financial reasons, and winning a cup would be a bonus as it would validate our current approach.

While watching the game yesterday, I remembered a few things. First, when we lost to Everton on the opening day of the season, a lot of people (myself included) thought the writing was on the wall.

Second, a lot of people (myself included) thought the squad needed a complete overhaul in order to taste success again. As it stands, we gave one of the best teams in Europe a run for their money with only two players (Bergwijn and Hojbjerg) who weren't there at the start of last season, when we were flirting with disaster. A lot of people (at least on here) didn't trust Mourinho to rebuild the squad, yet Hojbjerg and Reguillon have proved to be excellent signings.

For nearly six months, we received a lot of very negative comments from a lot of different pundits, almost week in, week out. Now, that idiot Craig Burley is 'enjoying watching Spurs'.

I don't see myself as one of Mourinho's fanboys but you have to give credit where it's due: he's done an excellent job so far. Quite frankly, apart from the long period when we didn't have a striker in the squad, nothing ever went the way most people expected.

I was as gutted as the next guy when Firminio scored - even more so because we could have been a goal (or two) up at that point but we shouldn't forget where we come from. Also, Liverpool have hardly lost a home game under Klopp. So, until I see proof of the contrary, I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of the season!

I think it'd be foolish to believe we will definitely win the league this year. Not sure anyone is in that boat. But I think we can do it because we have the squad and manager. It's also a year where the conditions might suit us best. A war of attrition because of the number of games in a shorter space of time, City on the wane, United in disarray, Lampard probably out of his depth. I'm happy to hope for the league and if we end up getting CL instead, I'll probably look back on the season favourably. But I'm not writing off our chances now.

I see a lot of people posting today that "we gave them a great game up there which shows how far we've come". I don't see it that way. Leeds gave them a game up there. Sheffield United rattled them at Anfield. So did West Ham. Last season, as Poch's world was crumbling, we only lost 2-1 up there to a penalty. Last night proved nothing about how far we've come especially when they were as weak as they've been in a long time. A result would have proved to me last night how far we've come. As it stands, I now have some doubts about our ability to defend set pieces, again, when it matters.

But looking back on the last three months as a whole, I'm very optimistic for a lot of the same reasons you are. Jose has brought us a long way in terms of how we play and our attitude. And I loved him rattling some cages and creating the siege mentality afterwards.

There's no doubt in my mind that Jose believes we can win the league and that's what he's trying to do. If he believes it, that's good enough for me.

Apparently they did look at it, it's just the first VAR incident since it's introduction where we didn't get to see what they were looking at.

I was prepared to give VAR a pass given that the action was a little 'off' the moment, however it is worse than even I remember. So glaringly obvious. Dier has Firmino all day without that block.

If Dier blocks Henderson's run, the result is the same surely? I think Dier should've been screaming the milli-second it happened. He did complain FWIW. Anyway, it was a vital moment, if we'd got away with it we'd be laughing so the lesson is...?!!!

I don't think it being Liverpool had anything to do with the decision. I can't remember the last time that I saw a goal disallowed for a push from a corner.

It was smart because we look to crowd the central areas and it left us a body short. Why Kane didn't jump, I'll never know.

I've been trying to figure that out, and two possible reasons.

1) as the spare man he was flat-footed to the moment?
2) could he still have been feeling the effects of the whack he took a little earlier?

Sadly, Toby cannot jump so Firmino has a free header.

I think falling over was making plenty of it.

I agree.

A lot of Klopp's antics and rantings are very old-school in the sense they wear down officials. While I thought Mourinho was silly to say the best team lost, I agree with him on Klopp's behavior all the way.

I think Utd and Liverpool regularly get marginal decisions like that in their favour - especially at home.

I'm not even sure it's conscious bias (although it might be), I just referees are weak.

Big, strong, imposing, with a bit of pace. Presumably also someone whose consistent at a high level, has a good meteorology. Leadership qualities perhaps. Has to be good defending along the ground too I guess? Preferably at least rather good on the ball?

Should be easy enough to sort out.

No one pretends it is easy. It is however what we need most.

I think Utd and Liverpool regularly get marginal decisions like that in their favour - especially at home.

I'm not even sure it's conscious bias (although it might be), I just referees are weak.

I understand why refs can be influenced by a 60,000 crowd baying for a decision. That is why United and Pool have had so many dodgy decisions in their favour in the past. But with virtually no crowd there, it could explain why united and even Arsenal are so poor at home this season.

I understand why refs can be influenced by a 60,000 crowd baying for a decision. That is why United and Pool have had so many dodgy decisions in their favour in the past. But with virtually no crowd there, it could explain why united and even Arsenal are so poor at home this season.
No, Utd are still getting the dodgy decisions.

They're just so bad that it isn't helping.

I agree.

A lot of Klopp's antics and rantings are very old-school in the sense they wear down officials. While I thought Mourinho was silly to say the best team lost, I agree with him on Klopp's behavior all the way.

Mourinho let’s himself and us down with this silliness.

Still annoyed because I think on another day we might have won that but more I'm irritated at the no of stupid points dropped:

2 against Saudi Sportswashing Machine due to lack of concentration, penalty was dodgy but should never have been in that position
2 against Spam, absolute disgraceful collapse
1 against Liverpool, last minute goal to a set piece

You could also add 2 against Palace but I think they were worth a draw and played well so we're looking at 5-7 points dropped really due to a lack of concentration.

Whilst we are way better defensively than I thought we'd be with the current team (even with Mourinho) I still think we are weak at CB - neither Dier or Toby give you the confidence that they're utterly dominating a game like others have in the past such as VVD, Terry, Ferdinand, Kompany etc.

I've been trying to figure that out, and two possible reasons.

1) as the spare man he was flat-footed to the moment?
2) could he still have been feeling the effects of the whack he took a little earlier?

Sadly, Toby cannot jump so Firmino has a free header.

You can just see the moment when Kane realises the ball is going over his head and looks over his shoulder to see Dier on all fours at the edge of the area, allowing Firminho a free run at Alderweireld :eek:

1561D2DE-1A39-4B8D-9307-CC6FC95FCD4C.jpeg
F63244E1-F3D8-4DE3-847E-AC6D266D14B6.jpeg

Back