• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool ***

Lestah have conceded 7 goals from corners alone
We defend them well but all it takes is one that’s to perfect abs it’s a high quality chance for them
Palace didn’t create much at all from their set pieces but did get one over the line
Pool was the same

We don't defend them well. And we don't score from them either. Would some statto give our net deficit from set pieces. I would wager we are one of the worst on that basis.

We’re really not IMO
It seems that way as we have conceded goals that way but I look at it as it’s the ONLY way people will score against us and even with a rock teams will still get chances that way as no team is perfect
And what do you mean spam out gunned us?
They scored from a free kick, an OG and a wordie
Palace won virtually every header from set pieces against us AND all the headed second balls as well. That shouldn't happen. The defending team should win a much higher percentage.

so the dust has settled somewhat. Was pretty frustrated last night.

1) Spurs have no right to be 2nd. Jose was appointed in Nov 2019, and we just gutwrenchingly lost away at the Champions and one of the best in Europe. And could easily have won. Jose's got a point, it took Klopp several seasons to build this team, so we need more time

2) the expectation has been set we can win the league, and we are up there challenging, but Liverpool are the dominant team in the league, and that's shown through again this season. We're just not quite there yet

3) Some massive positives from the game, they needed a set piece and deflected goal to beat us. Yes they had lots of shots at Lloris, but that's part of the point right, they were straight at Lloris, fairly comfortable

4) yes Bergwijn should have seen us clear. But Kane missed an easier chance, if we're throwing spanners around, where's the one aimed at Kane? It happens

Ultimately Liverpool are the best team in the league, as we all knew. Let's hope Jose gets the boys spirit back asap to kick on, we play them next month at Tottenham (no fans though as most definitely will be T3 still) - as far as i can recall, a title has never been decided in December.

Lots can still happen between now and then, let's crack on. The biggest problem teams are facing Liverpool now is the same as they did vs Arsenal back in the day, it's a fear factor. But in actual fact, they're just like any team and Villa and Spurs to some degree have shown they can be challenged, just hope some teams get their balls out and show it.

Palace won virtually every header from set pieces against us AND all the headed second balls as well. That shouldn't happen. The defending team should win a much higher percentage.
I’d have to see some stats that back that up
Benteke had one header that was saved that I remember
Their goal came because no one won a header

We don't defend them well. And we don't score from them either. Would some statto give our net deficit from set pieces. I would wager we are one of the worst on that basis.
Don’t think it’s even a measure TBH
For it to be evaluated you would have to include every free kick and corner and it would be a really odd, false measure
I’m happy to be corrected though

I’d have to see some stats that back that up
Benteke had one header that was saved that I remember
Their goal came because no one won a header
Ok , fair enough but I can remember then winning plenty if headers even if they didn't do anything with it. Iirc we/ they were close to getting a head on the free kick for the goal leaving Loris unsighted. If we had a taller , more dominant central defender they may have got something on the free kick and we win the game.

I think Bergwijn is getting undue criticism on here.

He played a stormer defensively. Essentially having the same role on the left that Sissoko had on the right in the first half. He kept Alexander Arnold very quiet, he and Davies kept that side very quiet.

Yeah he could/should have scored. But on the other hand he got into good goalscoring positions. Kane too should/could have scored. Kane should/could have played players through on goal had he gotten a better touch in several situations. All of our attacking players could have done more, getting into the right positions, getting the chances is a positive.

If Bergwijn keeps getting into those positions he will get goals. Defensively I think only Sissoko matches his impact in games like this from wide positions, and Sissoko has only a fraction of the attacking impact.

If you were to poll every member of GG i think it would be unanimous in praise for his defensive work. The problem is he’s giving us literally nothing at the other end. He kills attacks, he doesn’t score or create and he’s not causing the opposition problems. I’d be be slightly more forgiving of those missed chances if he was giving us something offensively but he’s not. He had two great chances are both of them he missed the target. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a forward to hit the target once with the two chances he had. Kane missed a great chance also I accept but him and have scored 90% of our goals and created the majority of the chances/assists.

Also, I thought I read somewhere Bergwijn was meant to be the quickest player in the Eredivisie? Maybe anecdotal but he lost a foot race on Sunday against palace and he had a head start. Nitpicking I know but I was shocked because I always assumed he was quick. I posted in the Bale thread that last night highlighted how badly we need him to come back fit and healthy as Bergwijn shouldn’t be a regular starter.

Ok , fair enough but I can remember then winning plenty if headers even if they didn't do anything with it. Iirc we/ they were close to getting a head on the free kick for the goal leaving Loris unsighted. If we had a taller , more dominant central defender they may have got something on the free kick and we win the game.
We have a really big side
Dier is big and won a loads of headers
Toby won a few abs he doesn’t even jump
I’ll look at the stats in a bit and see if I saw it wrong

400% this. Could not agree more. Not sure about the player you mention but we definitely need a Terry/VDV type. Hopefully someone with a bit of pace as well.
Big, strong, imposing, with a bit of pace. Presumably also someone whose consistent at a high level, has a good mentality. Leadership qualities perhaps. Has to be good defending along the ground too I guess? Preferably at least rather good on the ball?

Should be easy enough to sort out.

Don’t think it’s even a measure TBH
For it to be evaluated you would have to include every free kick and corner and it would be a really odd, false measure
I’m happy to be corrected though

I posted previously I think Toby and Dier are benefiting from the system we employ rather than either being standout performers. There have been games where both have been outstanding (city at home comes to mind) but we need a more dominant CB who can deal with crosses and high balls as it’s not Dier or Toby’s area of expertise. Another CB with some pace would also be welcomed.

You can disagree all you want. The facts are WE have conceded from set pieces against Everton, Spam, Palace, Liverpool and lost 7 points in the process. ( and I think I missed one). That is what counts - and what hurts.
Especially when many of them have come in the last ten minutes.

If you were to poll every member of GG i think it would be unanimous in praise for his defensive work. The problem is he’s giving us non-figuratively nothing at the other end. He kills attacks, he doesn’t score or create and he’s not causing the opposition problems. I’d be be slightly more forgiving of those missed chances if he was giving us something offensively but he’s not. He had two great chances are both of them he missed the target. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a forward to hit the target once with the two chances he had. Kane missed a great chance also I accept but him and have scored 90% of our goals and created the majority of the chances/assists.

Also, I thought I read somewhere Bergwijn was meant to be the quickest player in the Eredivisie? Maybe anecdotal but he lost a foot race on Sunday against palace and he had a head start. Nitpicking I know but I was shocked because I always assumed he was quick. I posted in the Bale thread that last night highlighted how badly we need him to come back fit and healthy as Bergwijn shouldn’t be a regular starter.
Part of that is the role he's being asked to play in big games. Yesterday he had a role similar to what Sissoko had in the first half, Sissoko offered nothing going forward.

When him and Son play on either flank Son has more attacking freedom, rightly so as he's a much greater threat. But that also impacts Bergwijn.

He had two chances yesterday. One was fairly difficult, he was under heavy pressure. The other one was a big chance, he hit the post, tiny margins away from a perfect finish.

He's also fairly recently back in the team after injury/fitness issues.

I say give him some time to find form, there are clearly positive signs.

A fully fit firing Bale would be a great option to have, we don't have that right now.

Benyeke won 12 (twelve) headers
But that resulted in 2 shots on target
Cahill won 3 and Eze 2 with no shots on target each
Kane won 3 headers, Hojdjberg 2 and the rest 1 apart from Aurier and Toby who won 0
Not sure what any of that means though

I'd say that part of the problem lies with the expectations.

Apparently, some people out there believe we have to win the league this season. I suppose that's because they expect Mourinho to leave in a year or so. Regardless of whether that happens or not, I think Mourinho's right to say we're not there yet. We might pull out a Leicester and win it but we certainly don't have to. I'd say the most important thing this season is to get back in the Champions League, if only for financial reasons, and winning a cup would be a bonus as it would validate our current approach.

While watching the game yesterday, I remembered a few things. First, when we lost to Everton on the opening day of the season, a lot of people (myself included) thought the writing was on the wall.

Second, a lot of people (myself included) thought the squad needed a complete overhaul in order to taste success again. As it stands, we gave one of the best teams in Europe a run for their money with only two players (Bergwijn and Hojbjerg) who weren't there at the start of last season, when we were flirting with disaster. A lot of people (at least on here) didn't trust Mourinho to rebuild the squad, yet Hojbjerg and Reguillon have proved to be excellent signings.

For nearly six months, we received a lot of very negative comments from a lot of different pundits, almost week in, week out. Now, that idiot Craig Burley is 'enjoying watching Spurs'.

I don't see myself as one of Mourinho's fanboys but you have to give credit where it's due: he's done an excellent job so far. Quite frankly, apart from the long period when we didn't have a striker in the squad, nothing ever went the way most people expected.

I was as gutted as the next guy when Firminio scored - even more so because we could have been a goal (or two) up at that point but we shouldn't forget where we come from. Also, Liverpool have hardly lost a home game under Klopp. So, until I see proof of the contrary, I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of the season!

Brilliant post mate and its good to see that there are others who see the way forward is going to take a while but the signs are better then they have been for a while.

I really struggle to understand s ome fans at times and the way they over react about games, we lost to a team that have not been beaten at home for over 2 years and are probably the best team around at the moment ( notice i said probably ) and we COULD have won if we had taken the chances we had in the second half.

I accept that i keep saying it but we are a WORK IN PROGRESS and we still have a lot of work to do but bearing in mind just what a mess we were as a team just 12 months ago the improvement is there to see for all fans to see ( if they open their eyes).

Last edited:
It's a foul but they are very rarely given. If they were, you'd get three or four pelanties every game until things settled down.
That did happen - in the World Cup (not quite that many pens though). Then everyone stopped doing it and it died down.

V(AR)ictimpool at it again.

Back