• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool ***

I thought Toby and Dier had solid games myself but ultimately they win because of an OG (where both players went in to block) and Tobys inability to win balls in the air.
Hence we need a monster at the back , as I've advocated previously.
We are getting outgunned by most teams , including Palace and West Ham amongst others.
It's costing us.

I'd say that part of the problem lies with the expectations.

Apparently, some people out there believe we have to win the league this season. I suppose that's because they expect Mourinho to leave in a year or so. Regardless of whether that happens or not, I think Mourinho's right to say we're not there yet. We might pull out a Leicester and win it but we certainly don't have to. I'd say the most important thing this season is to get back in the Champions League, if only for financial reasons, and winning a cup would be a bonus as it would validate our current approach.

While watching the game yesterday, I remembered a few things. First, when we lost to Everton on the opening day of the season, a lot of people (myself included) thought the writing was on the wall.

Second, a lot of people (myself included) thought the squad needed a complete overhaul in order to taste success again. As it stands, we gave one of the best teams in Europe a run for their money with only two players (Bergwijn and Hojbjerg) who weren't there at the start of last season, when we were flirting with disaster. A lot of people (at least on here) didn't trust Mourinho to rebuild the squad, yet Hojbjerg and Reguillon have proved to be excellent signings.

For nearly six months, we received a lot of very negative comments from a lot of different pundits, almost week in, week out. Now, that idiot Craig Burley is 'enjoying watching Spurs'.

I don't see myself as one of Mourinho's fanboys but you have to give credit where it's due: he's done an excellent job so far. Quite frankly, apart from the long period when we didn't have a striker in the squad, nothing ever went the way most people expected.

I was as gutted as the next guy when Firminio scored - even more so because we could have been a goal (or two) up at that point but we shouldn't forget where we come from. Also, Liverpool have hardly lost a home game under Klopp. So, until I see proof of the contrary, I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of the season!
Great post. I am feeling a little better this morning. Thank fudge I don't have to stand in front of a camera after we lose a game. I will say, rightly or wrongly I really do believe we can win the title this season. We have the squad and the manager to do so. We know Jose doesn't hang around so we need to make the most of him.

Hence we need a monster at the back , as I've advocated previously.
We are getting outgunned by most teams , including Palace and West Ham amongst others. It's costing us.
We’re really not IMO
It seems that way as we have conceded goals that way but I look at it as it’s the ONLY way people will score against us and even with a rock teams will still get chances that way as no team is perfect
And what do you mean spam out gunned us?
They scored from a free kick, an OG and a wordie

I am actually feeling quite reasonable this morning about the whole thing - am absolutely deveastated - don't get me wrong...

BUT!

There are going to be lots of twists and turns this season - Liverpool will drop points against teams - league feels very open this year - look at the chelskum and marketing project results this weekend.
On the Atheltic podcast - (view from the lane) - I really like those guys they said that each game will be a learning/lesson for Mourinho.
We draw with West Ham - we tighten up the defence etc - so I am sure there will be learnings yesterday on what we need to do to compete with Liverpool at home - better ball retention in the midfield and being more clinical with chances.

We just need to start to put away the midtable/lesser teams a be more ruthless against them.

I think it's still a bit early to say whether we're really in with a chance this term. For me, we blew our best chance a couple of seasons ago, when Leicester finished ahead of us. I didn't watch their every game but they didn't look that much better than us (at least not on paper) and we were in the middle of Pochettino's cycle. We should have won the league then.

Right now, it's difficult to say. And injury to Son or Kane would change the landscape considerably. A longer run in the Europa League could also prove difficult to manage. On the other hand, if Bale somehow regains his best form this season, we could be unstoppable. That's a lot of ifs and buts at the moment and you could say the same about three or four teams that could still mount a title challenge with a good run of results.

Quite frankly, if we'd lost the game in the first half, I don't think there would be much to complain about. As Nigeyman said, the level of pressing they reached throughout the first half was out of this world. Unfortunately, we survived that only to lose when they looked bereft of ideas and energy. It's a shame but whichever way you look at it, the two points dropped at Palace are more disappointing than yesterday's defeat (in my opinion, at least).

At least and despite what was claimed at the beginning of the season, Mourinho comes up with a sound gameplan for every game. So long as he does that, we're still in with a chance of winning something this season.

We’re really not IMO
It seems that way as we have conceded goals that way but I look at it as it’s the ONLY way people will score against us and even with a rock teams will still get chances that way as no team is perfect
And what do you mean spam out gunned us?
They scored from a free kick, an OG and a wordie
Agreed.

According to whoscored we've conceded 5 set piece goals this season. 5th most in the PL, that seems a bit bad, but it's only one more than Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United for example. Arsenal somehow have 0 goals conceded from set pieces, suppose there are areas for them to decline in still.

With us having less of the ball and defending deeper I think we might be getting more set pieces against us than other top teams at least.

Could be argued that this means there's an even greater need to be good at defending against set pieces. Always areas to improve and improvement is good, but I think we're already pretty good and we've definitely improved.

It's a long time since I've felt so tinkled off after a game, probably because I can't stand pool and their fans.
I hope the team is really hurting over this loss and use it to go on another good run.

Agreed.

According to whoscored we've conceded 5 set piece goals this season. 5th most in the PL, that seems a bit bad, but it's only one more than Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United for example. Arsenal somehow have 0 goals conceded from set pieces, suppose there are areas for them to decline in still.

With us having less of the ball and defending deeper I think we might be getting more set pieces against us than other top teams at least.

Could be argued that this means there's an even greater need to be good at defending against set pieces. Always areas to improve and improvement is good, but I think we're already pretty good and we've definitely improved.
We seem to concede a lot of freekicks close to the box leading to have to defend a high number of crosses.

Agreed.

Lestah have conceded 7 goals from corners alone
We defend them well but all it takes is one that’s to perfect abs it’s a high quality chance for them
Palace didn’t create much at all from their set pieces but did get one over the line
Pool was the same

We don’t concede anymore than anyone else I’d wager
We just don’t see the other teams as much
Probably true. Aurier was a big culprit for giving away frees but has improved. The amount given away against Palace seemed to be high, but I could be wrong (it happens every few years :p)

I'd say that part of the problem lies with the expectations.

Apparently, some people out there believe we have to win the league this season. I suppose that's because they expect Mourinho to leave in a year or so. Regardless of whether that happens or not, I think Mourinho's right to say we're not there yet. We might pull out a Leicester and win it but we certainly don't have to. I'd say the most important thing this season is to get back in the Champions League, if only for financial reasons, and winning a cup would be a bonus as it would validate our current approach.

While watching the game yesterday, I remembered a few things. First, when we lost to Everton on the opening day of the season, a lot of people (myself included) thought the writing was on the wall.

Second, a lot of people (myself included) thought the squad needed a complete overhaul in order to taste success again. As it stands, we gave one of the best teams in Europe a run for their money with only two players (Bergwijn and Hojbjerg) who weren't there at the start of last season, when we were flirting with disaster. A lot of people (at least on here) didn't trust Mourinho to rebuild the squad, yet Hojbjerg and Reguillon have proved to be excellent signings.

For nearly six months, we received a lot of very negative comments from a lot of different pundits, almost week in, week out. Now, that idiot Craig Burley is 'enjoying watching Spurs'.

I don't see myself as one of Mourinho's fanboys but you have to give credit where it's due: he's done an excellent job so far. Quite frankly, apart from the long period when we didn't have a striker in the squad, nothing ever went the way most people expected.

I was as gutted as the next guy when Firminio scored - even more so because we could have been a goal (or two) up at that point but we shouldn't forget where we come from. Also, Liverpool have hardly lost a home game under Klopp. So, until I see proof of the contrary, I'm going to remain optimistic for the rest of the season!
Top post!

I’ve no idea why some on here EXPECTED us to outplay Liverpool at Anfield last night, baffles me!

Probably true. Aurier was a big culprit for giving away frees but has improved. The amount given away against Palace seemed to be high, but I could be wrong (it happens every few years :p)
I think it’s feels high as we’re naturally conceding ground the way we play

I’ve thought long and hard about the result. And there is really only one word to sum it up.

FuuuuuuuuckKuntBollocksShiitballsfudgeshiItKuntbollcksfuuuuuuckfuuuuuuuckfUuuuuuckFuuuuuckshIitKunt.

No. That word is setpieces. We don't score often enough from them and we concede too often. We really need to buy an aerially dominant centre half who attacks the ball at both ends of the pitch.

It is the primary weakness in our game plan.

No. That word is setpieces. We don't score often enough from them and we concede too often. We really need to buy an aerially dominant centre half who attacks the ball at both ends of the pitch.

It is the primary weakness in our game plan.
I disagree
The team with the best record or defending set pieces is (maybe I’m out of date now) arsenal
Yet you wouldn’t want their defenders would you?
Leinster who actually have some solid CBS and arguably the stand out one this season in Foffana have conceded 7 goals from corners alone
It happens
And it stand out more of you restrict teams to fewer chances of quality

There is a very clear pattern to most of our concessions this season. Set-pieces in the air. I think Mourinho will ask for Skriner (Sp)...something like that could make the difference.

100% this. Could not agree more. Not sure about the player you mention but we definitely need a Terry/VDV type. Hopefully someone with a bit of pace as well.

I disagree
The team with the best record or defending set pieces is (maybe I’m out of date now) arsenal
Yet you wouldn’t want their defenders would you?
Leinster who actually have some solid CBS and arguably the stand out one this season in Foffana have conceded 7 goals from corners alone
It happens
And it stand out more of you restrict teams to fewer chances of quality

You can disagree all you want. The facts are WE have conceded from set pieces against Everton, Spam, Palace, Liverpool and lost 7 points in the process. ( and I think I missed one). That is what counts - and what hurts.

You can disagree all you want. The facts are WE have conceded from set pieces against Everton, Spam, Palace, Liverpool and lost 7 points in the process. ( and I think I missed one). That is what counts - and what hurts.
Yep
So do other teams concede form set pieces
In games of few chances sometimes there the only way
We have also conceded 2 Ogs that I can think of (last night and West Ham). Does that mean we to change the way we defend because of it
Teams concede goals every game
Teams also find a way to score goals
That is football

Back