• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT*** Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea

I'm surprised at some of the criticism here.

For me, our players' actions on the pitch mirrored my feelings towards Chelsea fans. There's something very enjoyable about a game like that in the current world of emotionless, mercenary footballers.

Unrestrained thuggery it certainly was. We were totally reckless. 9 players booked. Several deserving red. One (if not two) facing lengthy bans. What exactly do you call it? We tried ( unsuccessfully ) to kick them off the park. It was reminiscent of Gazza in the Cup final - totally manic behavior.

And all for what? We let a two goal lead slip. We have several players out with either lengthy bans and/ or injuries and our title bid is over. I hope I never see the like again. Controlled aggression is fine but that was sheer stupidity.

Where I agree with you is that Hazard made the difference. He tried to play football and let his skill do the talking. That is what we need to do in future, not get needlessly involved in mind games that play right into the opposition hands. It is a sad day for me to see so many Spurs fans condoning such futile and immature behavior.

Aside from the (frankly) ridiculous comparison to Gazza (you've been reading some lazy hacks with that one matey!), I cannot help but reflect on the irony of your second comment in bold. You do remember Hazard's comments to the world's media before the game? As for the first bold comment, we have lost Alli and Dembele in the last two games to bans. Leicester lost Vardy and Drinkwater. Who is injured from Monday? Possibly Alderweireld, and he didn't get a booking or get involved. What's your point? Are you really going to continue bleating about 'unrestrained thuggery' , 'totally reckless' and '9 players booked' (especially given that Ray Charles is even telling the world how utterly brick the ref was and how many bookings he missed for them)? And if all you saw in that game was us 'trying to unsuccessfully kick them off the park' then you are choosing to view the game with context and in a bubble of your own reality. We came to play to football and we tried to, despite some terrible provocation and brick, brick refereeing. We lost control, no doubt, as we tried to defend ourselves. But all this 'we tried to kick them off the park' nonsense...let's just say I heartily disagree. You are presenting a scenario where we didn't try to play at all, and that is simply wrong.

Celebrating is not against the rules - scratching like a big girly and two footed 'tackles', if that what you call them are. We lost the plot and two points there are no upsides for us to that performance especially in the last 20 min!

2-0 up and we took our eye off the prize!

Having spent a couple of weeks telling the world how much you hate Tottenham, as a pundit for Sky nonetheless, and backed up by your 'teammates' and even manager (who says Tottenham lack the bottle to win a title), is inciteful behavior. Celebrating in front of the few away fans when you can go three sides of your ground and celebrate is inciteful. There should've been at least two yellows right there. As for the 'two-footed tackle' comment, the only one I thought was out of order was Dier's (the one before the booking) and frankly, given the goading and pure filth we had endured, I was delighted we decided to defend each other. Again, we need to learn how to do it, but sadly, if we want to win, this is what we will need to do - learn how to 'Fergie' it.

As for some of the 'ashamed' comments, I will repeat what I said elsewhere...true shame is losing 4-0 at Stamford Bridge and watching some of our (then_'players') confuse the word 'fight' with 'fart' and not even do that properly.

There was two sides fouling, only one getting punished. How they're first goal was allowed is a disgrace. Dier tries to clear, is pulled back by ivanovic and Cahill scores, refs standing watching less than 10 yards away with an unimpeded view.
The ref carries as much blame as anyone.

Unrestrained thuggery it certainly was. We were totally reckless. 9 players booked. Several deserving red. One (if not two) facing lengthy bans. What exactly do you call it? We tried ( unsuccessfully ) to kick them off the park. It was reminiscent of Gazza in the Cup final - totally manic behavior.

And all for what? We let a two goal lead slip. We have several players out with either lengthy bans and/ or injuries and our title bid is over. I hope I never see the like again. Controlled aggression is fine but that was sheer stupidity.

Where I agree with you is that Hazard made the difference. He tried to play football and let his skill do the talking. That is what we need to do in future, not get needlessly involved in mind games that play right into the opposition hands. It is a sad day for me to see so many Spurs fans condoning such futile and immature behavior.

I personally think like StephenH you are being overdramatic but Stop! Hammer time. Hazard made the difference because as that elite level player, he can. There isn't one other player across both squads that is as talented in that aspect as Hazard, its just a telling point that Monday night was his only performance of the season.

For me, our players' actions on the pitch mirrored my feelings towards Chelsea fans. There's something very enjoyable about a game like that in the current world of emotionless, mercenary footballers.

I am glad you enjoyed it. What exactly did you enjoy most - the gouging, late tackles, brawls, yellow cards, injuries and impending suspensions? Or perhaps the result of throwing away a two goal lead and the end of our title aspirations while failing to put to bed the Stamford Bridge hoodoo? Oh yes, much to enjoy.

A point that I made earlier. In a sterile and sanitized world in terms of the physical nature of the game, it was like a peek into a previous era with a wonderful feeling that this perceived utopia that we are fed is not quite how football really is or should be. Whilst I wouldn't games like that every week, the odd derby game like that is fantastic to get the blood pumping and remind you, if you needed reminding, why you detest a team like Chelsea so much.

A point that I made earlier. In a sterile and sanitized world in terms of the physical nature of the game, it was like a peek into a previous era with a wonderful feeling that this perceived utopia that we are fed is not quite how football really is or should be. Whilst I wouldn't games like that every week, the odd derby game like that is fantastic to get the blood pumping and remind you, if you needed reminding, why you detest a team like Chelsea so much.

Sometimes I shudder at some of the things I read/hear from some of our supporters. I think it is our fan base which needs an education. How anyone can not gauge why Monday went down as it did is beyond me.
Again, Clattenberg carries the biggest can here, a total and utter failure to control any of the dark arts on display.

As this is generally hailed as what's great about English/British football there's a lot of moaning going.
That's something I totally disagree with by the way, and I take no joy in our display on Monday night.
But we shouldn't get carried away, we were suckered into it. A combination of weak ref and clever opponents took advantage of our emotions. If they were my players I would be fining a couple of them. That though should be the end of it.
Embarrassed the shirt would be a fairer description than shamed or disgraced.

As this is generally hailed as what's great about English/British football there's a lot of moaning going.
That's something I totally disagree with by the way, and I take no joy in our display on Monday night.
But we shouldn't get carried away, we were suckered into it. A combination of weak ref and clever opponents took advantage of our emotions. If they were my players I would be fining a couple of them. That though should be the end of it.
Embarrassed the shirt would be a fairer description than shamed or disgraced.

I suspect privately Poch will have given them a dressing down/used some elements as tools to educate. I further suspect that he will also have made sure that
a) the world doesn't see an inch of that and
b) he lets them know it is good to defend each other against filth, but now to learn how to do it subtly.

I thought Rose did a good thing apologizing for the general tone of the match. I find it instructive and informative that you have not seen one comment from any of Chelsea's players. People can take from that what they will. I know my take-away!!!

There is nothing wrong with a bit of aggression and I agree that the game is sanitized in todays game, as soon as someone brushes a opponent most of the fans are foaming at the mouth and screaming for a FK or Pen. But it has to be managed not headless and as much as I love our team we lost it in the last 20 minutes or so and with it the chance to finally lay the hoodo of not winning there since the early ninties.

I am more enoyed that we allowed the game to get away from us by the players who lost the plot. As I say I have no problem with leaving a foot in but the actions of some of our players was headless and worked against us. We need to be more in control and as the team matures I hope to see us do just that.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of aggression and I agree that the game is sanitized in todays game, as soon as someone brushes a opponent most of the fans are foaming at the mouth and screaming for a FK or Pen. But it has to be managed not headless and as much as I love our team we lost it in the last 20 minutes or so and with it the chance to finally lay the hoodo of not winning there since the early ninties.

I am more enoyed that we allowed the game to get away from us by the players who lost the plot. As I say I have no problem with leaving a foot in but the actions of some of our players was headless and worked against us. We need to be more in control and as the team matures I hope to see us do just that.

Agreed, and given the way Poch learns from situations/the team, I think we will absolutely see that next season.

Aside from the (frankly) ridiculous comparison to Gazza (you've been reading some lazy hacks with that one matey!), I cannot help but reflect on the irony of your second comment in bold. You do remember Hazard's comments to the world's media before the game? As for the first bold comment, we have lost Alli and Dembele in the last two games to bans. Leicester lost Vardy and Drinkwater. Who is injured from Monday? Possibly Alderweireld, and he didn't get a booking or get involved. What's your point? Are you really going to continue bleating about 'unrestrained thuggery' , 'totally reckless' and '9 players booked' (especially given that Ray Charles is even telling the world how utterly bricke the ref was and how many bookings he missed for them)? And if all you saw in that game was us 'trying to unsuccessfully kick them off the park' then you are choosing to view the game with context and in a bubble of your own reality. We came to play to football and we tried to, despite some terrible provocation and bricke, brickE refereeing. We lost control, no doubt, as we tried to defend ourselves. But all this 'we tried to kick them off the park' nonsense...let's just say I heartily disagree. You are presenting a scenario where we didn't try to play at all, and that is simply wrong.

I havent seen any other comparisons to Gazza - so that was all my own work! I am not excusing Chelsea or the ref ( who I thought was equally bad for both sides although he could have given them more bookings, he could equally have dished out reds to several players on both sides). I am focusing on our players because that is the team I support. But to attempt to excuse our players for the behavior of the Chelscum cheats or the refs ineptitude, is to play the victim card. I want us to rise above that and let our football do the talking not engage in pettiness and rank stupidity.

The way to deal with cheats and 'animals' is to beat them on the football pitch as Alf Ramsey's England team did to the Argies back in 66. That would give us all much greater pleasure and satisfaction than the aftermath of Monday's game, which just left a sour taste all round.

Apparently Poch tweeted the players after the match something along the lines of 'Well done you showed you won't be bullied'. Not sure if it's out in the public domain, I'd imagine it is somewhere, but I'm delighted by this.

Agreed, and given the way Poch learns from situations/the team, I think we will absolutely see that next season.

I agree that Pooch will sort them out, as we know a lot of them are no more then kids who lost the plot and it may work in our favour, the looks on the faces of the team as they walked off the pitch and the comments in the Press/media about them losing it is probably the best lesson they could get.

The sour taste came finding out that cesc and hazard weren't just appeasing the fans with their comments and were prepared to do anything possible to stop us. Legally it otherwise.
Before the game I thought that's all it was, appease the fans, but it obviously wasn't. If mason had scored or the had correctly rule a foul for the first goal I am now convinced that they would have lain down to Leicester.

Spot on.

They mirrored my feelings towards Chelsea too, and I took immense pleasure every time we laid one of their players on the ground. Doesn't make it right, though. We should be better than this. For every nasty thing they do, we should dig deep and come at them with the best football of our lives. There is no better revenge than to beat the team that employs dirty tactics. Anything less than that and they've won.

Last edited:
I'm firmly in the "I do not applaud the way our team behaved' camp. I am all for sticking up for the team and not shirking a tough challenge, but the loss of composure must stop here. And I believe that Poch will make sure it does not happen again. We all know that we are the youngest squad in the league and that young 'uns need to learn. COYS!!!

Back