• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa ***

Think it is strange to call a team in 4th place with what you consider to be a far weaker squad a sham?

They either have a much better squad than you credit them with or they are really well coached and organised.

Emery, that's the difference IMO, he is a top.coach, always thought so, he got it massively wrong yesterday but you can't doubt his credentials.

Their teams is massively weak in some areas and his usual tactics cover a mass of sins.

Conversely, based on the financial I saw today on twitter, this seems to be their sh1t or bust season to make CL

Punching above their weight (which I agree with) suggests that they are the exact opposite of a sham.
I never called them a sham, did i? I think they're a good side with a great manager who will do extremely well to finish top 4.

He got a few wrong
he booked Dragu for the same thing villa did twice
he also missed several late kicks on maddison
the red was brave, but the right call
Villa stood in the way of our free kick taker. Dragu was retreating but then moved his body to deliberately block a quickly taken free kick. The ref got that right IMO.

I didn’t really notice anything on Maddison that deserved more than a foul being given.

I thought the ref had a good game. I would be more than happy with that level of refereeing performance every week.

Villa stood in the way of our free kick taker. Dragu was retreating but then moved his body to deliberately block a quickly taken free kick. The ref got that right IMO.

I didn’t really notice anything on Maddison that deserved more than a foul being given.

I thought the ref had a good game. I would be more than happy with that level of refereeing performance every week.
As is so often the case, stand in the way nothing happens. Stand in the way and the ball hits you, yellow card. Kick the ball away properly, yellow, delaying the opportunity to play. Mess around, stand in the way, move the ball a bit, nothing given.

Ref was pretty much on the money for what has become the norm for these situations.

Disagree, the red never happens if he ref'ed the game properly

Villa did enough niggling fouls, dives, shirt pulling, kicking the ball away (nothing egregious but he let too much slide), yet at the point of the red, the only player that had a yellow was a Spurs player for obstruction?

McGinn thought he was going to get away with it, it was going to be same brick as Cash on Bentancur, keep the pegs away and it's a yellow regardless of intent/not playing ball/lateness/recklessness of play, and that is because the ref did too much "talking", perfect example is there was a throw in where Maddison was trying to receive the ball and the Villa player ran into his back (clear foul), Maddison said something to the Villa player and the ref spent about 30 seconds talking to Maddison .. it's game control, if the ref doesn't exert it, players will push boundaires and people get injured ...

Was you at the game?
there were several times on Tv when they just took a kick at him (crude words) after a pass
and villa did exactly what drgau did. They stood 4 yards away and moved pensively away but he didn’t pick them up on it
he booked Dragu fot it straight away (the rIvey call)

That's around a goal every 2.5 games in the peak of his career.

I'd be very disappointed if a player like that was anything other than backup.

Watkins actually has 56 goals and 35 assists in 3 and 3/4 season
Son, our top player has 64 goals and 36 assists over the same period.
That is not much better is it?
So, should Son also be a backup for us? :rolleyes:o_O

Villa have some very productive players
YTD Goals / Assists are as follows:

- Watkins 16 /15
- Luiz 9 /5
- Baily 8 / 9
- McGinn 6 / 3
- Diaby 4 / 8

In comparison Spurs are as follows:

- Son 14 / 8
- Richi 10 / 3
- Kulu 6 /3
- Madders 4 /9
- Johnson 4 /7

Therefore, overall they seem to be more productive than us.
This is a bit misleading. Excluding OGs we have scored 56 goals with 47 assists. They have scored 56 goals with 41 assists. So as a team, I think we have been slightly more productive. And I actually like that our productivity comes from more than just 5 players, as that makes it more difficult for opponents to defend us.

Last edited:
I thought we lost to Villa at home?
They weren't above us when we played them at home. I'm guessing the stat is based on when we played each team (even though we were technically above the Scum on GD when we played them).

Mention needs to go to Lolo, too. He looked like the Lolo of last season, although granted it was against 10 men. Here's hoping he is finding his form again. Will be huge.

As is so often the case, stand in the way nothing happens. Stand in the way and the ball hits you, yellow card. Kick the ball away properly, yellow, delaying the opportunity to play. Mess around, stand in the way, move the ball a bit, nothing given.

Ref was pretty much on the money for what has become the norm for these situations.
The ball hit Dragu because he put his leg up to block it. Had he stood there and their player hit it straight at him then the ref wouldn’t have booked him IMO. I think the ref got that decision absolutely right.

Villa did enough niggling fouls, dives, shirt pulling, kicking the ball away (nothing egregious but he let too much slide), yet at the point of the red, the only player that had a yellow was a Spurs player for obstruction?

McGinn thought he was going to get away with it, it was going to be same brick as Cash on Bentancur, keep the pegs away and it's a yellow regardless of intent/not playing ball/lateness/recklessness of play, and that is because the ref did too much "talking", perfect example is there was a throw in where Maddison was trying to receive the ball and the Villa player ran into his back (clear foul), Maddison said something to the Villa player and the ref spent about 30 seconds talking to Maddison .. it's game control, if the ref doesn't exert it, players will push boundaires and people get injured ...
He (rightly) spoke to both players. Theirs for the provocation and Maddison for the reaction. He reffed the game very well I thought.

Watkins actually has 56 goals and 35 assists in 3 and 3/4 season
Son, our top player has 64 goals and 36 assists over the same period.
That is not much better is it?
So, should Son also be a backup for us? :rolleyes:o_O

Difference is Son played alongside someone who score 90+ goals and probably 30+ assists in that same timeframe. Son also won the golden boot.

Context matters, Watkins is their focal point, if they do well, he does well. Kane & Son as examples, still compete for top individual honors even when their team plays brick ..

I think Watkins is a good player, but yesterday you saw the difference, neither had a great game, one ended up with a goal and an assist, the other???

As the ball is not in play I don’t believe that the ref can award a foul. He handled that situation fine, he spoke to both players, Maddison for longer as Maddison continued to argue with the ref and try to make his case.

I really do think that the ref handled every situation in the game well. As I said before I think the only one he got wrong was the booking for Sarr, where the foul was accidental as opposed to deliberate.

Last edited:
Difference is Son played alongside someone who score 90+ goals and probably 30+ assists in that same timeframe. Son also won the golden boot.

Context matters, Watkins is their focal point, if they do well, he does well. Kane & Son as examples, still compete for top individual honors even when their team plays brick ..

I think Watkins is a good player, but yesterday you saw the difference, neither had a great game, one ended up with a goal and an assist, the other???

Son also had Kane providing for him. Do Villa even have any creative players? I agree on the whole Son is considerably better but Watkins is decent.

Back