• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa ***

Son also had Kane providing for him. Do Villa even have any creative players? I agree on the whole Son is considerably better but Watkins is decent.
Works hard, runs channels hard, not sure I get too excited when I see him play TBH, like he is a really game player, but to your point about the wingers, he isn't the level to push on IMO

Works hard, runs channels hard, not sure I get too excited when I see him play TBH, like he is a really game player, but to your point about the wingers, he isn't the level to push on IMO
Yeah I’m not necessarily saying I would sign him but he’s still a pretty good player and he’s had a good couple of seasons in a team that doesn’t exactly play free flowing football. I don’t watch that much of them but I gather they to play to his strengths and rely on him for goals.

Yeah I’m not necessarily saying I would sign him but he’s still a pretty good player and he’s had a good couple of seasons in a team that doesn’t exactly play free flowing football. I don’t watch that much of them but I gather they to play to his strengths and rely on him for goals.
I think he would be an excellent number 9 for us. Superb movement and is a good all round centre forward.

Think it is strange to call a team in 4th place with what you consider to be a far weaker squad a sham?

They either have a much better squad than you credit them with or they are really well coached and organised.

You're not entirely wrong to call me out, and I do have a dislike of them which is prejudicing my view... but they are punching above their weight and are more a 6th placed team IMO. I think they are well-organized, but what Emery did yesterday in changing their play to try and deal with us shows that perhaps they're not quite as good as people think. Let's see where this side ends up. My view is they've reached the limits of their potential 'success'...I'll split the difference and say they're a 5th placed team at best, how's that?! ;)

Last edited:
Emery, that's the difference IMO, he is a top.coach, always thought so, he got it massively wrong yesterday but you can't doubt his credentials.

Their teams is massively weak in some areas and his usual tactics cover a mass of sins.

Conversely, based on the financial I saw today on twitter, this seems to be their sh1t or bust season to make CL
He is quality
But he did fudge up as you say
He set them up to not lose

I don’t get any criticism or put down of Villa
They clear in the top 5 this season and that’s with injuries and a lot of games
They also play good football
Their manager is good and their fans have got a bit carried away but are generally sound real fans

They are gonna breach PSR which will be interesting but that’s what it takes in reality to get in the top 4/5

People thinking Chelsea and United have better to offer are IMO dilusional. Goals count in football and those sides don’t get them. Villa do

Anyone else hear Emery say it was a “bad day in the office”? I get English isn’t his first language and he certainly speaks English better than I speak Spanish but it made me smile 😊

Time and time again Villa were kicking us. Cash was very lucky to avoid further censure for an out of control challenge on Udogie 10-15 mins after McGinns.

I mean I dislike cash more than most but I don’t recall any fouls on Udogie. Vaguely remember he stepped on someone’s ankle but my honest reaction was it was an accident. He also tripped Johnson in the first half but nothing too sinister. Nothing like McGinn’s tackle which got the red card it deserved.

Listened to some podcasts today and everyone is going on about McGinn not being that sort of player. He might be a nice guy off the pitch, but he absolutely is that kind of player. He probably gets to show more of his football skills now that they're doing better, but go back a couple of seasons and all I can recall from games I've seen is McGinn running around kicking opponents, albeit not quite as bad as yesterday.

Villa have some very productive players
YTD Goals / Assists are as follows:

- Watkins 16 /15
- Luiz 9 /5
- Baily 8 / 9
- McGinn 6 / 3
- Diaby 4 / 8

In comparison Spurs are as follows:

- Son 14 / 8
- Richi 10 / 3
- Kulu 6 /3
- Madders 4 /9
- Johnson 4 /7

Therefore, overall they seem to be more productive than us.
Quite - that's the mystery.

We've all seen them play, everyone knows they're junk. Their manager is decent but no more, yet they are where they are.

It's hard to fathom.

Watkins actually has 56 goals and 35 assists in 3 and 3/4 season
Son, our top player has 64 goals and 36 assists over the same period.
That is not much better is it?
So, should Son also be a backup for us? :rolleyes:o_O
This is Son's first season as our lead striker.

Difference is Son played alongside someone who score 90+ goals and probably 30+ assists in that same timeframe. Son also won the golden boot.

Context matters, Watkins is their focal point, if they do well, he does well. Kane & Son as examples, still compete for top individual honors even when their team plays brick ..

I think Watkins is a good player, but yesterday you saw the difference, neither had a great game, one ended up with a goal and an assist, the other???
Son is a genuine world class finisher
Watkins is a better striker
There are differences in how both roles play out in games and teams

One was also playing his 40 plus consecutive game which also hurts the way he plays

Son is the best finisher arguably in the world, let’s not forget that

RE Watkins

Given how much he relies on pace, at 28 he'll be on the downward slope of his career.

With scouting networks being what they are, we have to consider the player market (at the top end) to be an efficient one.

Yet the highlight of his career is Brentford? Villa? Not much to choose between them really.

Last edited:
Villa made a big mistake of only playing a two man central midfield. That meant that they lost control of the midfield as we outnumbered them and passed around them.
Nope, they played 532 with Tielemans Luiz McGinn in midfield.
We dared to press them and leave Watkins and Bailey vs Romero and VdV; that bravery meant we could match them all over the pitch and they couldn't get out of defence.

Nope, they played 532 with Tielemans Luiz McGinn in midfield.
We dared to press them and leave Watkins and Bailey vs Romero and VdV; that bravery meant we could match them all over the pitch and they couldn't get out of defence.
100%
they set up to not lose
we set up and played to win
they had to go long because of our press and bravery and they lost every second ball

Back