• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa ***

Listened to some podcasts today and everyone is going on about McGinn not being that sort of player. He might be a nice guy off the pitch, but he absolutely is that kind of player. He probably gets to show more of his football skills now that they're doing better, but go back a couple of seasons and all I can recall from games I've seen is McGinn running around kicking opponents, albeit not quite as bad as yesterday.

Yes indeed, Milo said on our pod he wants a list of 'not that sort of players' so as we can all refer to it LOL

100%
they set up to not lose
we set up and played to win
they had to go long because of our press and bravery and they lost every second ball

Ange has been saying from the get that to aspire to the City's you have to believe in what you do like they do, hasn't he. Chelsea was the marker for that. Yesterday was seeing it bedded in yet further. BTW, for all the hype Liverpool got on their City performance yesterday, I felt our match at Eastlands deserved a lot more respect as we played OUR way.

I mean I dislike cash more than most but I don’t recall any fouls on Udogie. Vaguely remember he stepped on someone’s ankle but my honest reaction was it was an accident. He also tripped Johnson in the first half but nothing too sinister. Nothing like McGinn’s tackle which got the red card it deserved.

He barreled through him second-half. Primary camera angle missed it, I saw it on a replay from another angle. I'm not imagining it :)

This is Son's first season as our lead striker.
OK,
So lets look at this season only.
Watkins has 16 goals & 15 assists
Son has 14 goals & 8 assists.
They both play in the same league and face the same teams

I am not taking anything away from Sonny's performance for us. He is my favorite player.
What I don't agree with is your wild claim that Watkins is no better than a backup player.

It is elementary Mr Scaramanga. ;)

It really is just a matter of opinion, who knows how any player will perform at an other club? Chelsea thought Werner was a goal scorer based on his German numbers.

RE Watkins

Given how much he relies on pace, at 28 he'll be on the downward slope of his career.

With scouting networks being what they are, we have to consider the player market (at the top end) to be an efficient one.

Yet the highlight of his career is Brentford? Villa? Not much to choose between them really.
So, according to your opinion, hopefully backed by solid medical facts, and not just wishful thinking:

- Watkins relies on his pace and at the ripe old age of 28, he will be on the downward slope of his carrier. !!!!!!!!
- Spurs have a few players who also rely on their pace.
- Son is 32, and according to your analysis, he should be well into his downward slope!!! I haven't seen any signs of that.
- Werner is 28, and therefore like Watkins, he too should be hitting the downward slope.

I personally, don't believe that age alone is the main factor about pace.
A lot of other factors come into play, like your build, injury record and your DNA.

BTW, I am 74 years old, but my pace is the same as it was when I was 25.
However, I am not talking about running on a field. I am talking about me flying a plane.!!!
I do that at least once a month. I "borrow" a friends 4 seater Cessna to fly to game parks in Kenya and Tanzania, and also
to nearby islands like Zanzibar and Lamu. ;):cool::D

Werner scored one every 1.6 at his peak.
Really. are you sure.
That is 24 goals a season. Even Haaland won't get to that figure this season.
Where did Werner score these goals?
I thought that he was a flop at Chelsea.
His current club won't have loaned him to us with that kind of performace.
I hope that you are not including his school days exploits.;):oops:

Really. are you sure.

Werner scored 28 goals in 34 games for Leipzig in 2019/20 with 8 assists, 34 in 45 in all comps that year, he was the next big thing, which is why Chelsea bought him for close to €50M (release clause).

He has the ability, his Chelsea career actually started ok as well (playing on left), then Chelsea decided they need to shoehorn in Pulisic (IIRC) into Werner's position and play Werner through the middle and it fell apart from there, confidence went and he's been trying to find that for back since. He has more than 150 senior level goals, he's done double figures in league goals in 4 Bundesliga seasons in a row .. this idea that he is some kind of mug is ridiculous ..

Werner scored 28 goals in 34 games for Leipzig in 2019/20 with 8 assists, 34 in 45 in all comps that year, he was the next big thing, which is why Chelsea bought him for close to €50M (release clause).

He has the ability, his Chelsea career actually started ok as well (playing on left), then Chelsea decided they need to shoehorn in Pulisic (IIRC) into Werner's position and play Werner through the middle and it fell apart from there, confidence went and he's been trying to find that for back since. He has more than 150 senior level goals, he's done double figures in league goals in 4 Bundesliga seasons in a row .. this idea that he is some kind of mug is ridiculous ..
He's not a mug but he also doesn't have a record of consistent high scoring. His next best after the 28 goal break out year is a very respectable 21 but after that its tallies of 4, 6, 13, 16 etc.

He can score but he's never been a great finisher. The season he got the 28 Leipzig created absolutely oodles of chances and he did do well but he still missed loads. That's just him, he's never been and at this stage of his career probably never will be a cold eyed finisher.

To get cl at 5 place we need Arsenal win! And we need that WestHam beat freiburg.. that will be a joy to cheer…
Its crazy what ManU and Saudi Sportswashing Machine did in CL has done that England for the first time in five years aint top 2 teams..
I think we need to be in the final in CL and EL to have a chance and no german teams in the semi…

Really. are you sure.
78 goals in 127 matches for Leipzig. Not all of those would have been the full 90 either.

OK,
So lets look at this season only.
Watkins has 16 goals & 15 assists
Son has 14 goals & 8 assists.
They both play in the same league and face the same teams

I am not taking anything away from Sonny's performance for us. He is my favorite player.
What I don't agree with is your wild claim that Watkins is no better than a backup player.

It is elementary Mr Scaramanga. ;)
And that's already more than he's ever scored in a whole season at the top level.

Do you think that, at 28, he's suddenly become a Son level player out of nowhere? Or is he (as I intimated) having a ridiculous stand out season with the rest of his club that they are unlikely ever to repeat?

To get cl at 5 place we need Arsenal win! And we need that WestHam beat freiburg.. that will be a joy to cheer…
Its crazy what ManU and Saudi Sportswashing Machine did in CL has done that England for the first time in five years aint top 2 teams..
I think we need to be in the final in CL and EL to have a chance and no german teams in the semi…

Will be some mind melting around here if we need arsenal to do us a favour.

We don’t need them to fail for us to succeed.

If we finish 5th then I’m perfectly fine with us going in to the Europa League next season. You get what you deserve and if we finish 5th we wouldn’t deserve CL.

If 5th does end up getting us CL then that in turn means we do deserve it? 🤔
If 5th gets CL then we’ll have got in through the back door, but you shouldn’t feel entitled to CL for finishing 5th. If it gets CL then it’s a bonus, not a right.

What we’ll be we’ll be.

Its not a back way… the two best Leagues get one more place.. its not like a lottery. Its the same as Norway has one place and England has four

England has 4, exactly, if you finish 5th your relying on other things to happen out of your control.

England has 4 because at some point in the past it was extended due to the performance of English clubs in Europe - same same with the potential of 5th place gaining entry this season.

I get your point, i was just making a point against your comment that 'you get what you deserve' (as in if 5th gets CL and then we get 5th then CL is what 'we deserve' by default)

Back