• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT - Tottenham Hotspur v Borussia Dortmund - first leg***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting little stat, not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread, Son has scored 5 goals against Dortmund in his last 5 league games against them :)

Interesting little stat, not sure if it has been mentioned on this thread, Son has scored 5 goals against Dortmund in his last 5 league games against them :)
Another interesting stat is that we haven't lost when our number 7 has scored since before Lennon signed for us.

I don't think we should start Dembele, considering Saturday was his first game back from injury. I honestly think the 'A' team needs a rest and while we have a chance to win the league, this competition isn't important imo. Ordinarily, I'd want us to give it a good go, but ordinarily, we aren't challenging for the title with 9 games remaining.

---------------vorm
trippier---toby---wimmer---davies
---------mason---bentaleb
---onomah---carroll----son
-------------chadli

*edit -- apart from Onomah and Bentaleb, all of these players started the away leg v Fiorentina.

I don't think we should start Dembele, considering Saturday was his first game back from injury.

The flip side of that is that Poch never rushes players back from injury and what he may need now is a couple of games to regain his match fitness and form

Really looking forward to this :)

Would prefer Walker today because of his pace and defensive ability and Trippier against Villa for his crosses and attacking ability.

Did come off at a strange time against Arsenal. Wouldn't surprise me if he's picked up something, but I expect the time estimate is at best guesswork.

The flip side of that is that Poch never rushes players back from injury and what he may need now is a couple of games to regain his match fitness and form

On the other hand Dembele has very rarely played 3 games in a week or similar. If he starts today I'm guessing he sits out Sunday... Though if Dier is to return rested against Villa that would probably be fine.

Really looking forward to this :)

Would prefer Walker today because of his pace and defensive ability and Trippier against Villa for his crosses and attacking ability.

Did come off at a strange time against Arsenal. Wouldn't surprise me if he's picked up something, but I expect the time estimate is at best guesswork.

On the other hand Dembele has very rarely played 3 games in a week or similar. If he starts today I'm guessing he sits out Sunday... Though if Dier is to return rested against Villa that would probably be fine.

How many more games does Dier have to get through to avoid a yellow without getting a two game ban. I don't want to jinx it, but if there is one game this season where we can afford to rest a few players surely Villa is the game.

Agree re Trippier and Walker.

How many more games does Dier have to get through to avoid a yellow without getting a two game ban. I don't want to jinx it, but if there is one game this season where we can afford to rest a few players surely Villa is the game.

Agree re Trippier and Walker.

Another 3 including the game against Liverpool I think.

I don't think we should start Dembele, considering Saturday was his first game back from injury. I honestly think the 'A' team needs a rest and while we have a chance to win the league, this competition isn't important imo. Ordinarily, I'd want us to give it a good go, but ordinarily, we aren't challenging for the title with 9 games remaining.

---------------vorm
trippier---toby---wimmer---davies
---------mason---bentaleb
---onomah---carroll----son
-------------chadli

*edit -- apart from Onomah and Bentaleb, all of these players started the away leg v Fiorentina.
Whats the point in ever aiming for, or participating in, European football if an away game in front of 80,000 in Dortmund isn't important? I'm stunned by some of the attitudes towards this game. If we play that line up you have there we will get smashed to pieces. Would you be ok watching us get embarrassed 4-0 by Dortmund in front of the whole of Europe?

Todays match is a huge game.

Whats the point in ever aiming for, or participating in, European football if an away game in front of 80,000 in Dortmund isn't important? I'm stunned by some of the attitudes towards this game. If we play that line up you have there we will get smashed to pieces. Would you be ok watching us get embarrassed 4-0 by Dortmund in front of the whole of Europe?

Agreed.

For me it should be something along the lines of:

--------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker-Alderweireld-Wimmer-Davies
--------------Mason---Dembele-----------
Lamela----------Eriksen-------------Son
---------------------Kane-------------------

Very hard working front 4 with as much quality as we can have without Alli. Dembele to play as Dier is missing. Mason over Bentaleb as he's closer to match fitness and has been ahead all along. Walker over Trippier as he's better at defending. Pretty much our strongest possible team with the players that we know haven't traveled missing out.

Chadli for Son, Trippier for Walker or Bentaleb joining Mason and Dembele to make a central midfield trio to make us more solid would all be fine options too of course.

Agreed.

For me it should be something along the lines of:

--------------------Lloris---------------------
Walker-Alderweireld-Wimmer-Davies
--------------Mason---Dembele-----------
Lamela----------Eriksen-------------Son
---------------------Kane-------------------

Very hard working front 4 with as much quality as we can have without Alli. Dembele to play as Dier is missing. Mason over Bentaleb as he's closer to match fitness and has been ahead all along. Walker over Trippier as he's better at defending. Pretty much our strongest possible team with the players that we know haven't traveled missing out.

Chadli for Son, Trippier for Walker or Bentaleb joining Mason and Dembele to make a central midfield trio to make us more solid would all be fine options too of course.

Cant argue with any of that. Perhaps Chadli will start over Son then again Son has plenty of experience in Germany and playing Dortmund. Regardless anything along these lines looks a good solid lineup.

EXACTLY! You truly have to wonder if some people realise the magnitude of the match today and whether they have forgotten what it feels like to be beaten heavily and publically ridiculed because of it. Yet they laugh at Arsenal and how they fare in Europe...

Indeed.

As I said earlier in this thread, Villa are probably the worst team that we have left to play this season. Every dog has their day but it is hard to imaging it being a game where we get stuck in a midfield battle where we need a ball carrier. Mason or Carroll should be fine and their better use of the ball maybe an asset if Villa camp out on the edge of their area.

-------------------Lloris--------------------
--Trippier----Alder--Wimmer----Davies--
-----------Bentaleb---Dembele------------
----Lamela-------Eriksen----------Son----
--------------------Kane-------------------

We can't field a weakened team in this game (since we already rested Dier). It's the biggest european game we've had since Real Madrid.
I don't think we can win on Signal Iduna Park, but scoring and not loosing by more than one goal margin should be fine.
Hopefully Son will be on fire and score another one against BvB. Also Wimmer has a very huge task today...

This is a big step up in class for the lads, the timing of the game is not great when fatigue/fitness is taken into consideration.
I'll take an away goal 2-1.

coys.jpg

Fully strength team for me, this is a European tie against one one of the biggest teams we could have faced. It will also do the whole squad good morale wise if we can get a result. Cant believe some people want us to field a weakened team, it would be awful watching us getting smashed and wouldnt do our push for the league title any favours regardless if some players got a rest or not.

As I said, ordinarily I'd totally agree with you. But, in my lifetime as a Spurs fan, we have never been 5 points off the top of the league with 9 games to go. We've won the league twice in our history, we get in the Europa League every season. IMO, the danger is that we go all out for both competitions and end up with nothing. I'd rather we gave the league our all in what is a very unique season.

So let me flip the question for you. Would you be happy with us going full tilt in the Europa but dropping points in league games due to tired, jaded players? As long as we didn't embarrass ourselves in Dortmund, that'd be cool right? It might not happen that way, but with the opportunity we have in the league right now, I wouldn't take the chance.

It's not aiming to play in Europe that I particularly care about, it's aiming to win the league, which is a much, much bigger prize than the Europa. I have no idea what Poch will do, but he picked almost that same XI for Fiorentina away and they got a result.

Whatever happens, whatever team is picked, I'm looking forward to tonight's game. There'll be no bitching from me if Poch picks a strong team, it's just my opinion that, for this season and in these circumstances, European games are not a priority for us.

At this stage of the competetion with the opposition we will face, winning and progressing will only boost our team in all the remaining games this season. These games are what football is all about.

I don't see this affecting our league form now, maybe in the earlier rounds where your travelling all over Europe to face weak opposition it can probably take it's toll but not a big European tie against Dortmund.

Though I can understand us all getting a bit excited at the possibility of winning the league, something many of us have probably wondered if we'd ever see in our lifetimes, can't help but feel there'd be some wanting us to play a weakened side tonight even if a top 4 finish in the Premier League was our only goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back