• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR v Aston Villa***

Really don't like this three at the back fad. Rather have another body in midfield or further up if we've already got a DM there.

It's a great formation depending on the opposition, because some teams are set up to nullify a 4231 pretty well. It's great that we can adapt so easily.

@billyiddo has it spot on - we looked good going forward the minute we switched to a back four. I can understand the logic behind the back three, but we didn't really need it against a side like Villa - and if we do go with that formation against sides like this at home, then we could at least consider swapping out the DM (Dier/Wanyama) for a more attacking midfielder just to increase the number of bodies going forward.

Anyway, Winks had a good game - still not sure what he's best at or what his classic role is, but he distributed it efficiently, put himself about and looked quick on his feet and brave both on and off the ball. N'Koudou changed the game when he came on - lit it up with some great runs, a couple of great crosses, and looked really dangerous with the ball at his feet. Son was hit-and-miss, but got his goal. Sissoko worked hard, but wasn't able to change the dynamics of the game for the most part - until the end, of course, when he got yet *another* assist. Toby was the same solid rock that he's been for 99.9% of his time with us, CCV looked like he was making his decisions a bit too quickly (usually had time to pass when he elected to clear it, etcetera) but was otherwise decent. The rest of the team were unremarkable, and solid for the most part - props to Davies for scoring his first goal for us.

Overall, a solid (if somewhat uninspired) game, and a good result that advances us into the next round. we should be looking to win this, and I hope Poch sees it that way too.

Overall I can't complain too much about the performance, really. Second string lads mostly against a decent Villa side. We struggled for a bit but got 2 goals in the end, and had many chances to make it 3. Controlled the game throughout. CCV looked like he had played for us for years, Harry Winks did ever so well, Nkoudou making the difference when he came on. Again, I think Janssen just needs to get game time and adapt to the tempo, which we all should know by now can take up to or more than a whole season.

Really don't like this three at the back fad. Rather have another body in midfield or further up if we've already got a DM there.
3 CB's at the back works when the wing backs are actually midfielders in disguise. I think trippier can play the part, but Davies while he scored, looks uncomfortable in the role. Walker and Rose are just perfect for the role

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

3 CB's at the back works when the wing backs are actually midfielders in disguise. I think trippier can play the part, but Davies while he scored, looks uncomfortable in the role. Walker and Rose are just perfect for the role

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We already did it with Dier dropping in between the CBs last season if both FBs had gone up, but he could also go forward if we were dominating. Wanyama doesn't really do much of either, but we don't really need a third CB when he plays as he breaks up a lot of attacks and we definitely didn't need one today.

Interestingly, Villa fans seem to think BBC's coverage was atrocious and that the commentators had it in for them.

I thought we needed to change the shape, but it was the personel and their movement that was the bigger difference. The moment we put someone on with a bit of guile to their game, we started to see opportunities arise. Dele moved into those little holes and forced players to commit to this position. Sissoko held some width for us and Son started playing as more of a false 9, we made them think as opposed to before where our front 3 were static and rarely receiving the ball when not travelling towards it.

A lot of credit has to go to GKN too for really turning the heat up on them. His intensity brought up that of everyone else and I really want to see him get more time on the field.

Fair point.
However, sometimes it may be the best option e.g. Against Chelsea, the formation should depend on opposition style and tactics.
Today against a lone Agbonlahor and their 6 man defence, we didn't need three at the back.
But it gave some vital experience to CCV.

I don't think the formation in itself is a problem. We crushed Watford playing 3 at the back.

Some problems today that are quite common when you make wholesale changes like that. CCV and Wimmer aren't at that attacking centre back stage yet. Sissoko struggling without space, Janssen way off form, Davies and Trippier way of their best on the first half. Sum total I'd we didn't look great, but we've seen the same before in other formations.

Good news is that a lot of players that needed a game got a game and we won comfortably in the end.

I thought Wimmer's use of the ball was excellent. Far more accurate than Alde today. Simmer is not as smooth going forward as Verts is but he is a very player to have in our ranks, when the squad is needed later parts of the season.

He was only 16 then!

I would have liked to seen Eriksen or Alli with Jansen, see how he would have linked up.
Kanes biggest strength for me is that he is good linking up with anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I meant it more "at this stage of his PL career" than age.

Poch signed him for a reason, maybe part of that was he was cheap, but i'd be amazed if that was all of it.

First half was like watching paint dry/trying to open a coffee can using only a sock full of marshmallows. Livened up with the subs, but considering this could have been our last FA Cup tie at the old Lane, it was hardly memorable.

Back