• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Spurs vs Everton ***

Hmm, i remember you saying that it was only after the opening firs weekend defeat of that season (ironically vs Everton) that the board went and made some further signings such as Bale, Regullion etc.
It always seems they haven't a clue what's needed and often overestimate where things are with our players and then underestimate what it takes to stay competitive. Again, i think that's because they don't really get the football side of things in its broad sense
Yeh I did, but that doesn't contradict my point

Poch told the club what was needed, hell he told the fans and did an interview on it but that would have meant at the time potentially going back before forward again, the club decided to go quick intent mix fix in Jose rather than that route. Everyone knew what was needed and we went against it, I suspect as a throw of the CL dice to retain status, it didn't work as times proved.

For me, seeing as the board are not logically going anywhere, our long term success hinges on us working towards a team and manager that can grow from the start with no war scars and to chisal off this mentality everyone talks about, also a return to young, ambitious and talent youngsters who can play high octane football and not slow drudgy Sideways and back crap that we are and have for the last 2 years.

Anyway, regardless Poch was right and the board was wrong

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Poch told the club what was needed, hell he told the fans and did an interview on it but that would have meant at the time potentially going back before forward again, the club decided to go quick intent mix fix in Jose rather than that route. Everyone knew what was needed and we went against it, I suspect as a throw of the CL dice to retain status, it didn't work as times proved.

For me, seeing as the board are not logically going anywhere, our long term success hinges on us working towards a team and manager that can grow from the start with no war scars and to chisal off this mentality everyone talks about, also a return to young, ambitious and talent youngsters who can play high octane football and not slow drudgy Sideways and back crap that we are and have for the last 2 years.

Yep, indeed.

But honestly, do you see ANY signs that the board have learnt or lean in anyway?
They always seem to take a decision and 'wing it' for the now just to get by...until the next crises...

Personally, I don't feel anything is different now

Yup. We need to get rid of players, coaches, and staff who aren’t winners in their heads. There are too many who appear to not be bothered about not winning. Last night, Everton had so much more energy and drive than us. And both teams had clear rewards for playing with intensity. I didn’t expect a ‘bounce’ after conte left. I’m expecting a dire, turgid end to this awful season, and STILL hope things will be better next season.

Just re-watched the game post-our-goal, and this little clip just summarised us in possession:

Trying to play out from the back, but with massive distances between the players and no movement or urgency. So painful to watch, especially against 10 men.

Me and the bloke in front of me were saying pretty much the same thing on that passage of play. Why pass it back and forth across the area? Why not pass it out to Porro (who was one of our better players and would at least have taken it forward) on the wide right instead of back to Lloris? And who thought passing it to Sanchez to make that killer forward pass was ever an idea that would come to fruition?

I struggle to understand how anyone rates Skipp more highly than PEH. If we're considering Skipp to be one of our first choice players in our team next season then I think we're welcoming 6th/7th place finishes in the Premier League.

Bissouma has been absolute garbage for us in every game he has played.
Skipp is better and more disciplined in a defensive role. PEH is better if he can get involved in chasing and pressing but he switches off too often to be a top DM.
Skipp is also 5 years younger and will still improve, PEH won't.

Bissouma has been overall a big disappointment no doubt; but how much is that due to the coaching he's been under?
He showed previously how good he could be and when he was bought i'm sure most on here were very excited to be getting him into the squad
I'm always wary of players with a poor first touch (which he seems to have).

Harry should absolutely put pressure on Keane, no doubt. Skip is handling two potential issues there. PEH is late making the move inside to at least cause hesitation in Keane's run. There are several who are responsible for simply not putting in an extra 10% of effort at that stage, but PEH making a quicker shift across (IMO) leads to Keane either not taking the shot or shanking it for concern he'd be fully closed down by him. I think my anger was not so much actually getting the full block on Keane, as much as it was the lazy way he was allowed to even think of running and shooting.

View attachment 15345
Skipp should do better but PEHs position is poor, he should be closer to Skipp. Skipp has a player either side of him that are free and nobody is close enough to help him deal with that.
There's no reason for PEH to be that wide with the WB already protecting that side. Skipp jogs across to get to where the danger is and PEH barely walks until it's too late and puts in a bit more effort.
Sanchez could've also move forward a bit earlier as he was free and not marking anyone.

Skipp is better and more disciplined in a defensive role. PEH is better if he can get involved in chasing and pressing but he switches off too often to be a top DM.
Skipp is also 5 years younger and will still improve, PEH won't.
Skipp is a decent squad player for a CL level team.... A poor man's Nicky Butt if you will. Nothing wrong with that, squads need players like that as you're not going to have a whole squad of great players (especially at a club like Spurs). If the club want to do anything other than pay lip service to winning the big trophies however then we need a far better first choice player than Skipp.

Me and the bloke in front of me were saying pretty much the same thing on that passage of play. Why pass it back and forth across the area? Why not pass it out to Porro (who was one of our better players and would at least have taken it forward) on the wide right instead of back to Lloris? And who thought passing it to Sanchez to make that killer forward pass was ever an idea that would come to fruition?
What's even more baffling is that even with a player down Everton (Everton ffs!) were still able to close down all our passing lanes. Every pass we made had to be inch perfect, in order not to be intercepted. Watching on TV I couldn't see what the situation was further down the pitch, but as much as Everton had pushed up, I can't believe we didn't have the numerical advantage at the halfway line and beyond. All we had to do is just lob it forward, especially after it was evident that, due to Everton's pressing and our bad passing, playing out of the back just led to one mistake after another. Even more so after our best passing CB had been subbed. And OK, maybe lobbing it forward is not a real strategy, but if you don't want to do that, at least bring one more CM on to stretch Everton more in our half and open some passing lanes. I mean, ffs.

Last edited:
Skipp is a decent squad player for a CL level team.... A poor man's Nicky Butt if you will. Nothing wrong with that, squads need players like that as you're not going to have a whole squad of great players (especially at a club like Spurs). If the club want to do anything other than pay lip service to winning the big trophies however then we need a far better first choice player than Skipp.
And by the same token better than PEH. Bentancur, Sarr, and Bissouma (if he gets back to the level at Brighton) are better choices for more progressive players than both. If you want a defensive player in there to cover the defence then it's Skipp over PEH every day.

Skipp should do better but PEHs position is poor, he should be closer to Skipp. Skipp has a player either side of him that are free and nobody is close enough to help him deal with that.
There's no reason for PEH to be that wide with the WB already protecting that side. Skipp jogs across to get to where the danger is and PEH barely walks until it's too late and puts in a bit more effort.
Sanchez could've also move forward a bit earlier as he was free and not marking anyone.
I don't think the problem was Keane's goal. Yeah, he should have been closed down, but it's still a shot from way out, which has a 2% chance of going in. The problem was ceding control to Everton after we scored and not pushing forward to get another goal to put the game out of reach. We played like a 10-man APOEL Nicosia would play after going 1-0 up against Real at the Bernabeu.

And by the same token better than PEH. Bentancur, Sarr, and Bissouma (if he gets back to the level at Brighton) are better choices for more progressive players than both. If you want a defensive player in there to cover the defence then it's Skipp over PEH every day.
Bentancur is an excellent player. First choice in any Spurs supporter's mind I'm sure. Bissouma has been terrible in every game he has played for Spurs. Sarr isn't ready for PL football, needs a loan IMO (I think a championship loan would be good for him). I'd like to have a better option than Hojbjerg alongside Bentancur but the club is likely to have FAR more pressing needs (a keeper, at least one CB (if moving to 4 at the back) and at least two if continuing to play with 3), a creative attacking midfield player and cover at RWF) on which to spend our likely limited transfer budget.

I don't think the problem was Keane's goal. Yeah, he should have been closed down, but it's still a shot from way out, which has a 2% chance of going in. The problem was ceding control to Everton after we scored and not pushing forward to get another goal to put the game out of reach. We played like a 10-man APOEL Nicosia would play after going 1-0 up against Real at the Bernabeu.
Indeed.... and judging from the lack of instruction coming from the sidelines our retreat into a low-block post scoring was a conscious tactical decision from the manager (can we really bestow that auspicious title on Stellini?). Stellini's comments after the game also indicated to me that he was happy with the way the players carried out the tactics.

Bentancur is an excellent player. First choice in any Spurs supporter's mind I'm sure. Bissouma has been terrible in every game he has played for Spurs. Sarr isn't ready for PL football, needs a loan IMO (I think a championship loan would be good for him). I'd like to have a better option than Hojbjerg alongside Bentancur but the club is likely to have FAR more pressing needs (a keeper, at least one CB (if moving to 4 at the back) and at least two if continuing to play with 3), a creative attacking midfield player and cover at RWF) on which to spend our likely limited transfer budget.
Agree, a lot will depend on how many players we can offload and if we can get a couple of players on a Bosman.

He didn't seem to have a poor touch when he was at Brighton though...
Do any of us really know? Did we actually really watch him? Or do we just assume that because he had a couple of good games against us that we saw?

Consider also that, as we haven't really employed much of a press since Pochettino's second last season at Spurs, Bissouma's games against us that we all watched would've seen him having zero pressure on him when receiving the ball.

Do any of us really know? Did we actually really watch him? Or do we just assume that because he had a couple of good games against us that we saw?

Consider also that, as we haven't really employed much of a press since Pochettino's second last season at Spurs, Bissouma's games against us that we all watched would've seen him having zero pressure on him when receiving the ball.
I watched a lot of Brighton when he was there and he was really good at carrying the ball forward and had a decent passing range. We're seeing nothing of the player that he was at Brighton.
I believe @Danishfurniturelover lives there and watches Brighton a good bit so maybe he can chip in as well.

Back