• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT SPURS v burnley

In the end, if Harry put away one of his chances we'd have romped that 6-0. Even the best teams have days like today, it's just we have got this Wembley boll0cks to contend with.

We have had two games at Wembley and been flat and disappointing, with severe defensive lapses in both. It's not just 'days' like that when it happens regularly.

giphy.gif

We won't finish top 6 at this rate.
Dude, massive long shot before this game don't you think? We are basically playing 38 away games. I think Levy should say to Poch top 8 is fine, given the circumstances. That obviously won't work for the current players ambitions but I'm not sure what else to expect.

Not trying to be negative at all but the other top 6/7 teams actually have a home stadium which they should be strong at, we don't anymore.

Poch has got a difficult problem to solve. Pressing is his main strategy. We know from the players that he has encouraged to play with a high line and press relentlessly.
This strategy worked well with the players we had at WHL - but even then, at times towards the end of games, or against very quick teams, looked a bit suspect.
Now we are trying to do the same on a much bigger pitch and I don't think it is feasible. Not for 90 minutes. Or at least without more pace in defence - Sanchez might be part of that solution.

Poorer teams will just shut up shop, crowd the middle, and try to hit us on the break. And the evidence suggests that tactic may work.
Better teams will do the same but more effectively. Liverpool will rip us to shreds if they play like they did today - they have so much pace on the break.

Poch could probably solve this if he had time and the players -it wouldn't be easy as we are set up and coached over several seasons for the all out press. But he doesn't really have the time as we are changing stadium again in a season. We may just have to tough it out best we can while we are at Wembley and hope we don't lose too many players if we finish outside top 5/6.

We have had two games at Wembley and been flat and disappointing, with severe defensive lapses in both. It's not just 'days' like that when it happens regularly.

Fair enough, but I think today was different to Chelsea because we really should have scored more goals and put them away. Chelsea, we went behind and chased them without creating much.

Poch has got a difficult problem to solve. Pressing is his main strategy. We know from the players that he has encouraged to play with a high line and press relentlessly.
This strategy worked well with the players we had at WHL - but even then, at times towards the end of games, or against very quick teams, looked a bit suspect.
Now we are trying to do the same on a much bigger pitch and I don't think it is feasible. Not for 90 minutes. Or at least without more pace in defence - Sanchez might be part of that solution.

Poorer teams will just shut up shop, crowd the middle, and try to hit us on the break. And the evidence suggests that tactic may work.
Better teams will do the same but more effectively. Liverpool will rip us to shreds if they play like they did today - they have so much pace on the break.

Poch could probably solve this if he had time and the players -it wouldn't be easy as we are set up and coached over several seasons for the all out press. But he doesn't really have the time as we are changing stadium again in a season. We may just have to tough it out best we can while we are at Wembley and hope we don't lose too many players if we finish outside top 5/6.

Was woods goal a worldie?
Was it a 40 yarder top corner strike?

Just asking as those goals are hard to avoid .... and we have conceded one of them so far

Fair enough, but I think today was different to Chelsea because we really should have scored more goals and put them away. Chelsea, we went behind and chased them without creating much.

We need to deal with the fact that the opponents all too regularly get behind our defence. Is our defensive line not consistent at the end of matches? Do we try to step up at the wrong time? In the first half we barely created anything. We struggle as our opponents sit behind the ball, yet they find plenty of space behind our defence.

I don't think two constitutes regularly.

We've dropped more home points this season than we did in the whole entire home campaign last season.

We don't have a home this season.

We've dropped more home points this season than we did in the whole entire home campaign last season.

That says it all sadly.

I thought Poch might have turned to Janssen. Fresh legs to close down and maybe get a goal. Sissoko did well I thought. A terrible way to draw the game. No shape when defending at the end.

I agree. Sanchez is part of the solution - pace to allow us to press more aggressively, because we can always recover the space in behind even if the press does fail.

But the full-backs are absolutely key in this system - far more than the CBs. Their pace is what allows *all* of it to function - without that pace, they simply cannot be part of the press, because they risk leaving massive gaps in behind if they get caught out, and also need to position themselves in space so that they can be a threat if someone else pressing manages to win the ball. With a fast player, you can expect them to press and be a threat as well, because their pace allows them to make up for any lost ground in the event of a lost challenge, and also allows them to threaten the opposition even from deeper positions (because they can outpace their opponents with the ball if they get it).

Trippier has the speed of a baleen whale on ketamine. And the defending instincts of a traffic cone. So he has to position himself way out on the touchline, in acres of space, just to be a threat - or he has to tuck in and stay back, just to avoid being caught out on the break. And that slows *everything* down. Ditto Davies on the other side, although at least he's a good defender.

When we try to play our pressing game with Trippier and Davies as our full-backs, it is essentially a deeply flawed system. We might get away with it, but more often than not, we won't. Fast full backs are key to the pressing game - and we badly need some.

We're currently one point fewer than we were after three matches last season. Which is in itself a pretty trivial talking point, as it's only three matches into the season anyway.

Not happy with quite a bit of that match but I'm not going to go all panic stations about it at this early stage. Reminds me what I like about this board- most here are relatively calm and sensible, unlike what I'm currently seeing on social media where a lot of our fans are knee-jerking so high they're probably kicking themselves in the head.

Dude, massive long shot before this game don't you think? We are basically playing 38 away games. I think Levy should say to Poch top 8 is fine, given the circumstances. That obviously won't work for the current players ambitions but I'm not sure what else to expect.

Not trying to be negative at all but the other top 6/7 teams actually have a home stadium which they should be strong at, we don't anymore.

We should be able to finish above all the non top-7 even playing 19 away games and 19 at a neutral venue, which is what Wembley is - its not an away game. And even then its a neutral venue where >90% of the fans are ours.

Out of the top 7, things don't look promising for Arse, cheatski has been up and down, everton has to integrate loads of new players and Liverpool are contending with the CL this year despite few more additions and its not obvious that they've solved their previous problems.

All still to play for. Next 4 days are important mind you

That was very frustrating but let's calm down.

We have purchases yet to make before the window closes and Sanchez to come into the team. We have yet to see a fully fit Wanyama; Rose will return with (hopefully) a point to prove; and we might even see the return of Lamela.

We have always started slowly under Poch. Our priorities for this season are to get top 4 and go all out for a cup. I believe we'll be just fine.

We need to deal with the fact that the opponents all too regularly get behind our defence. Is our defensive line not consistent at the end of matches? Do we try to step up at the wrong time? In the first half we barely created anything. We struggle as our opponents sit behind the ball, yet they find plenty of space behind our defence.

Maybe having Sanchez in the middle of a back three could help there, with his pace.

We seemed to go 3 at the back when Sissoko came on, with Dier in the middle of the back 3 and Sissoko and Dembele in centre midfield, that's what it looked like to me anyway. I thought that was interesting because it's normally Dier on the right, Toby in the middle. Maybe Poch wanted to try it because he'll play Sanchez in the middle of the 3. I'm only speculating mind you.

Was woods goal a worldie?
Was it a 40 yarder top corner strike?

Just asking as those goals are hard to avoid .... and we have conceded one of them so far

I'm not sure the type of goal matters too much, it is more that the way play is progressing at Wembley, especially towards the end of games, is worrying. The press appears to ease off considerably towards the end of 90 and we have looked much more vulnerable to counter attack as space opens up on what is a big pitch.

Plus at the same time we don't really have a tricky dribbler or the wide pace to break down teams that sit deep and pack out the defence. Sure in some games we will take our chances/get more than one early goal, but we need to have a strategy to counter the way most teams are likely to play against us this season.

A lot been said on here about subs and poch but I'm sorry Trippier the last 10 mins was amateur . No sub or game management can protect his weak defending at the end . Get caught out of position once maybe twice but 5 or 6 times is pathetic . He is the sole reason for the drop of 2 points

And if you think we have problems it could be worse we could be Arsenal fans

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back