• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Palace***

Very average performance, but that's how you win things, grinding out results when you don't play well and players are missing, my son told me the commentator said there were only 56,000 at Wembley, just 21,000 more than we were getting last season, they just can't stop making snide remarks.

It was 65k, not 56. These early games are never good unless it's a derby or something important and it's on tv, so I can see why many would rather stay at home.

I don't see how that was a penalty. What was Gazzaniga supposed to do? He spread himself to make himself big in case Sakho made contact wth the ball, but he didn't come flying out at Sakho, wiping him out. Sakho was the one who came flying into Gazzaniga. In general I think goalkeepers get away with things much too easily, but Gazzaniga did nothing wrong there for me.
Exactly what I said. Had Sakho connected with the header it would have been a great save.....

Yep and look at Man C who play 4-3-3 with Fernando in CM alongside de Bruyne and Silva - that's 5 goal threats. Or even Liverpool who in a 4-3-3 would have Friminho, Mane and Salah up top and then Couninho in midfield, and you could even include Wijnaldum as a goal threat given he gets up near the CF. In contrast, in a 3-5-2 we'll often have Kane, Dele and Eriksen only who threaten the goal (assuming say Winks and Wanyama in CM)
Then again, we don't concede 2-3 goals evry game.

It was the switch from 4231 which contributed to us starting to turn over the park the bus sides - in the old formation we were too predictable and too narrow - 3421 gives us more width, penetration and options in the attacking third.

We aren't playing well this season at home to park the bus sides though I have to agree I'm just not sure it's formation related.
at this point

I think we are yearning for Lamela back and Barkley to come in.

Emirates Marketing Project are seemingly breaking down these sides at will, like we ended up doing at WHL last year. I’d guess our tight pitch enables us to press, win the ball and spring quick attacks which is harder to do at Wembley.

Something like Eriksen and Lamela behind Kane, with Son out wide to provide pace...I’m not sure how we fit them all in but I agree with notion we need someone more incisive in the team. Right now, Eriksen is really the only one...maybe playing Kane deeper at home could also work. But we have a lot of players that play well in space and not well against packed teams, and our press is not the weapon it was at WHL, at Wembley. I think we need to try something else.

I think we are yearning for Lamela back and Barkley to come in.

Emirates Marketing Project are seemingly breaking down these sides at will, like we ended up doing at WHL last year. I’d guess our tight pitch enables us to press, win the ball and spring quick attacks which is harder to do at Wembley.

Something like Eriksen and Lamela behind Kane, with Son out wide to provide pace...I’m not sure how we fit them all in but I agree with notion we need someone more incisive in the team. Right now, Eriksen is really the only one...maybe playing Kane deeper at home could also work. But we have a lot of players that play well in space and not well against packed teams, and our press is not the weapon it was at WHL, at Wembley. I think we need to try something else.

I don't think Lamela will come back anywhere near as agile, aggressive and fit as he was pre-'injury'. My guess is he ends up looking like a less beefy version of Sissoko - largely safe, occasionally dangerous. Which we really don't need, since Sissoko's heft and power are big parts of what make him useful - a Sissoko without heft and power would be pretty useless.

I'm writing Lamela off this year - I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but I honestly don't expect him to be particularly useful until August 2018.

It was 65k, not 56. These early games are never good unless it's a derby or something important and it's on tv, so I can see why many would rather stay at home.

You also have to remember that the local council put a limit on the number of 80k games we could have making the majority a 65k maximum due to the locals moaning.

You also have to remember that the local council put a limit on the number of 80k games we could have making the majority a 65k maximum due to the locals moaning.

The upper tier is available for all PL games, but it seems there's been a cap of around 75k for games like Chelsea with all the restrictions on tickets. Today was just a lack of interest.

So what was that stat about teams that have beaten Real Madrid in the CL have gone on to lose points in their next match again? :D
Madrid don't lose too often, so it can't be that many surely? .
The upper tier is available for all PL games, but it seems there's been a cap of around 75k for games like Chelsea with all the restrictions on tickets. Today was just a lack of interest.
Not so much lack of interest but chose to watch on tv rather than crane my eyes from up in the ghods.

I don't think Lamela will come back anywhere near as agile, aggressive and fit as he was pre-'injury'. My guess is he ends up looking like a less beefy version of Sissoko - largely safe, occasionally dangerous. Which we really don't need, since Sissoko's heft and power are big parts of what make him useful - a Sissoko without heft and power would be pretty useless.

I'm writing Lamela off this year - I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but I honestly don't expect him to be particularly useful until August 2018.

Isn’t he out of contract in the summer?

Actually, I don't think so. But I did remember that he had a contract until 2020 - maybe he signed a seven-year one when he first got here?

Hang on....

...here's his transfermarkt page. Backs up my understanding - he apparently does have a contract until 2020, although how that's the case is beyond me. :p

https://www.transfermarkt.com/erik-lamela/profil/spieler/111630

It could be in my head but I thought 5 was the max?

Just like his injury, it’s a mystery

I was shocked he has been here this long and play more games for us than Roma now

It could be in my head but I thought 5 was the max?

Just like his injury, it’s a mystery

I was shocked he has been here this long and play more games for us than Roma now

Nah - if I remember correctly, some Atleti player signed a 10-year contract a few months ago, so I guess it's possible.

Anyway, *everything* about Erik Lamela is a damn mystery. Did he even really exist, or was it just Jesus Perez with some eyeliner all along?

Back