• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Emirates Marketing Project

It's great in it.

One team has an £800m project to fund, another team doesn't. Which one might have financial constraints.

Over to you Jamie.

Scouce economics 101.

Give Jamie a broom and he can sweep the studio. Because he far too thick to be a serious football pundit!

A couple of seasons back we often started games slow, but in the final 20-30 minutes we just looked so much fitter than the opposition, and we scored a lot of late goals. I don't see that anymore, and I can't remember the last time we scored a late goal to win it (or equalize).

A couple of seasons back we often started games slow, but in the final 20-30 minutes we just looked so much fitter than the opposition, and we scored a lot of late goals. I don't see that anymore, and I can't remember the last time we scored a late goal to win it (or equalize).

This is absolutely true.

The pooch has been well and truly screwed on our fitness this season.

World Cup no doubt a factor but it’s not new for us to start slow either.

We didn’t have the World Cup to deal with ...

I keep on saying it, the players who have shined across the league so far across ALL the teams have been the ones who hardly played at the WC ... or one or two like hazard who have been managed correctly

Everyone else looks knackered still

Aguero today looked like a player who can’t buy a goal against a top side
Kane did too

Their best players in their side so far this season has been Mahrez arguably
In pools it’s been wilnaldum
In Arsenal’s it’s difficult to say as most of their squad didn’t go WC
Chelsea’s has bene hazard and now Barkley has stepped up to help nice and fresh from a summer off...

In fairness if we want a shot at top 4 we have to try for the title!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I just see Emirates Marketing Project getting 95+ points and I don't think anyone will really trouble them over a 38 game season. Their squad is too good and they don't seem reliant on any one player. Maybe backup keeper is their weakness, but keepers tend not to get injured much. Everyone else is playing for top 4 imo. Yes, we could have got something tonight, but as I've said previously, I don't think City played that well and they could have scored 3.

I think my anger at Trippier has only just subsided. I really like him as a technical footballer but...ugh, there's always someone in these big games who throws the opposition a freebie. If we could have gone in level at half-time, maybe we could have sneaked it.

My thoughts tonight from a very cold Wembley.

I think a one goal win for Emirates Marketing Project was probably fair even though we had our moments.

Overall I thought we played OK against the team that I feel are the best in the league but we were let down by a few individual poor performances, with Trippier’s being the worst of the lot. It takes some doing to make Sterling look like Messi but Trippier managed it with aplomb. Dier came a close second to Trippier for worst player I thought, it was almost like having ten men, the game completely bypassed him with him being too slow and ponderous to have any impact for us whether attacking or defending. Moira was also very quiet, while Walker’s final ball going forward for Emirates Marketing Project was generally poor tonight, he still had Moura in his pocket defensively yet could get forward and attack at will. We are FAR weaker in the full back positions than we were a couple of years ago when we had Walker and Rose in those positions with us having lost a lot of explosive pace and width as a result.

Originally in live play I thought Kane had spurned his one on one through a bad touch, but watching a replay the touch was actually OK and it was just brilliant goalkeeping, both in terms of starting position and pace to get out to Kane. It looked to me as though Kane should’ve had another even easier one on one but was given offside even though it seemed to me as though (I think it was) Mendy, who was terrible all game, playing him onside?

In terms of our bright spots, I thought Winks was fantastic when he came on. I would’ve liked to have seen him replace Dier much earlier in the game. I don’t think Dier can be picked in these games against teams full of quick, technical players. I thought Sanchez was the pick of our back 4 for the entire game both in terms of his positioning and his challenges. Ali looked far more threatening than Moura playing from the left, again I would’ve liked to have seen him on earlier to give Walker something else to think about as Moura gave him no trouble. I thought Lamela was our best player over the 90 minutes and it was a shame that he missed a sitter near the end of the game with really bad technique. He is great at getting into goal scoring positions but definitely needs to work on his composure in front of goal. Sissoko also had a good game, winning the ball and generally carrying it forward well.

Going forward from here I would like to see us playing only one of Dier, Dembele or Wanyama (with the latter being my preference if fully fit) with Winks starting alongside him in that Modric kind of role. We can then perm three of five out of Eriksen, Ali, Lamela, Son and Moura in front of them (although I wouldn’t mind seeing Son get at few games at CF while Kane has a couple of weeks off).

Back home from a freezing Wembley and pleased with how strongly we finished the game and optimistic that we’ll hit some form when the injury list clears up; well assuming we can cut down on those sloppy errors which have blighted us lately.

Cannot wait until we return home to WHL tho, as I was completely surrounded by day trippers today who clearly couldn’t give a damn who won the match and were more interested in taking selfies :rolleyes:

From the guardian (apologies @scaramanga )

Tottenham Hotspur
Hugo Lloris Poor game, not for the keeping – he made a good save from Mahrez – but for the consistency with which he gave the ball away. 5

Kieran Trippier Crucially misread a header to let in Sterling for the goal but otherwise played well. 6

Toby Alderweireld Solid game from the Belgium centre-half and some trademark lofted passes, too. 7

Dávinson Sánchez Did not make a mistake in the entire game (though one skimmed header caused flutters). Impressive. 7

Ben Davies
Another piece in a well-drilled Spurs backline and got a crucial block to Sterling’s second-half shot. 6

Eric Dier No mistakes and played intelligently as ever but could not impose himself on the game. Subbed 6

Mousa Dembélé A player some way from his very best. Solid enough defensively but lost the ball too often in possession. Subbed. 5

Moussa Sissoko Spurs’ man of the match. As influential as Fernandinho and much more of a pleasant surprise. Strong, fast and decisive. 8

Érik Lamela Gave his all in trying to force the match but it never came off and he missed the game’s best chance late on. 6

Lucas Moura Least involved of all Spurs’ attackers, though he did not stint on effort. Booked for a ludicrous dive and subbed, too. 5

Harry Kane One most un-Kane like touch cost him the chance of a one-on-one and a harsh offside denied another. Otherwise good. 6

Substitutes: Harry Winks (for Dier 67) 6; Dele Alli (for Dembélé 75) 7; Christian Eriksen (for Lucas 81) 6.

I thought overall we put in a decent account of ourselves and were the better team in the second half.
We know the damage City can do to teams if given half a chance but apart from Trippier’s early lapse we managed to deal with whatever they threw at us, albeit sometimes frantically and sometimes shakily. It was nerve wracking at times watching as City bore down on goal but I don’t recall Lloris having to do too much more than Ederson overall.
But, encouraging as the performance was, we come away with no points. A bit more luck (Kane’s first half shot over the bar) and/or being more clinical (Lamela’s missed golden opportunity) and we could have secured a point. Oh - and decent officials not afraid to deal with constant fouling, and capable of recognising a straightforward onside would have helped.

Sissoko and Lamela played very well. Sanchez was good, one or two shaky moments aside. Winks made a huge difference to our tempo when he came on. Dele looked pretty sharp for someone who has been out for 5 or 6 games. Lovely pass through to Lamela for the missed chance. Had the roles been reversed I am sure that would have been a goal.

For those that said we played well what did the keeper have to do?
That's not a sign of a team not playing well. Just because their keeper didn't have much to do doesn't mean we didn't have some good chances, or misplaced the final ball. If a team hits the woodwork 7 times in a game, the keeper won't have much to do. Doesn't mean though the team didn't play well.

Really disappointed with the result but satisfied with the performance. Spurs are always their worst enemies as we should not have conceded that goal so early in the match. I think we would have won this match if we had not conceded so early. That defensive mistake cost us this game. We played well after that but failed to make use of our chances. Kane, Sissoko and Lamela really should have done better with their chances. It seems like the Curse Of Wembley have come back to affect us against Emirates Marketing Project. Remember, we beat Emirates Marketing Project in 2 consecutive matches at WHL but have now lost 2 consecutive matches at Wembley since then.

Our key players let us down in this match. Kane really should have scored 2 goals from his chances in the first half. He put his shot too high for the first chance and failed to beat the goalie in a one-on-one for the second chance. Lamela did well to set up both the chances but Kane wasted them. Disappointingly, Kane was missing in the second half despite us badly needing a goal. Lamela really should have scored the goal after being set up by Alli in the second half. For a player who was in red hot goal scoring form until last week, it was really disappointing the way Lamela wasted the chance. Really thought Lamela would inspire us to win this match but he was not at his best. Maybe Lamela has lost the momentum after being dropped against PSV in the CL. Too bad Eriksen and Alli was not fully fit to start the match. Eriksen looked rusty when he came on but Alli did well to create the chance for Lamela. Maybe Alli should have come on much earlier in the match.

Our midfield had a mixed match. Felt Dembele and Dier didn't do enough to control the midfield, especially at the start of each half. Emirates Marketing Project seemed to control the midfield for long periods of the match. Dier even gave away 2 soft freekicks near our goal but fortunately Emirates Marketing Project wasted them. In contrast, Sissoko played well and was easily our best player against Emirates Marketing Project. In fact, it was really funny to see Sissoko bully all the Emirates Marketing Project players around and dribbling past them at will ! Emirates Marketing Project players actually looked too scared to even tackle Sissoko ! But too bad that for all his work rate and runs, Sissoko's finishing were still poor. He really should have done better with his goal scoring chance in the first half after being set up by Lamela. Sissoko could have shoot direct at goal but his cross was poor and was cleared easily. This match shows that Sissoko can be a top player for us if he can ever improve his finishing ! Maybe Sissoko is more suited to become a defender or a defensive midfielder !

Our defence did well for most of the match but the crucial mistake at the start of the match cost us dearly. Trippier really should have headed the ball clear but he missed completely and they went on to score their only goal from that. Despite Trippier's mistake, Lloris, Alderweireld and Sanchez should have been more alert and reacted faster to stop the goal. I think we missed Vertonghen as he would have been more alert to make the crucial tackle. Apart from that goal, thought we defended much better for most of the match, even if Emirates Marketing Project wasted a few goal scoring chances.

A win over Emirates Marketing Project would have put us above them into 3rd place and boosted our morale for the rest of the season. Instead, we lost and are now only 1 point ahead of 6th-placed Bournemouth. We really have to improve our results against the big teams as we have now lost to all the big teams we have faced this season (Liverpool, Inter, Barcelona and ManCity) since beating the poor ManU. Hopefully, we will improve our form when we get all our players fully fit for the coming matches.

My thoughts tonight from a very cold Wembley.

I think a one goal win for Emirates Marketing Project was probably fair even though we had our moments.

Overall I thought we played OK against the team that I feel are the best in the league but we were let down by a few individual poor performances, with Trippier’s being the worst of the lot. It takes some doing to make Sterling look like Messi but Trippier managed it with aplomb. Dier came a close second to Trippier for worst player I thought, it was almost like having ten men, the game completely bypassed him with him being too slow and ponderous to have any impact for us whether attacking or defending. Moira was also very quiet, while Walker’s final ball going forward for Emirates Marketing Project was generally poor tonight, he still had Moura in his pocket defensively yet could get forward and attack at will. We are FAR weaker in the full back positions than we were a couple of years ago when we had Walker and Rose in those positions with us having lost a lot of explosive pace and width as a result.

Originally in live play I thought Kane had spurned his one on one through a bad touch, but watching a replay the touch was actually OK and it was just brilliant goalkeeping, both in terms of starting position and pace to get out to Kane. It looked to me as though Kane should’ve had another even easier one on one but was given offside even though it seemed to me as though (I think it was) Mendy, who was terrible all game, playing him onside?

In terms of our bright spots, I thought Winks was fantastic when he came on. I would’ve liked to have seen him replace Dier much earlier in the game. I don’t think Dier can be picked in these games against teams full of quick, technical players. I thought Sanchez was the pick of our back 4 for the entire game both in terms of his positioning and his challenges. Ali looked far more threatening than Moura playing from the left, again I would’ve liked to have seen him on earlier to give Walker something else to think about as Moura gave him no trouble. I thought Lamela was our best player over the 90 minutes and it was a shame that he missed a sitter near the end of the game with really bad technique. He is great at getting into goal scoring positions but definitely needs to work on his composure in front of goal. Sissoko also had a good game, winning the ball and generally carrying it forward well.

Going forward from here I would like to see us playing only one of Dier, Dembele or Wanyama (with the latter being my preference if fully fit) with Winks starting alongside him in that Modric kind of role. We can then perm three of five out of Eriksen, Ali, Lamela, Son and Moura in front of them (although I wouldn’t mind seeing Son get at few games at CF while Kane has a couple of weeks off).

Have to say I think that is very unfair on Dier. When paired with Dembele it is never great for him, but Moose was giving up soft possession all over the place whilst Dier was an effective shield much of the time. Dier and Winks for me all day.

Our FBs are finally starting to worry me.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Winks was good when he came on. Should be given a run in the side now. Also, getting Eriksen and dele on, those guys just have those little clever moves, great touches and play so well together, different class - and obviously important for our attack to be as fluid as possible. Shame about Erik's miss, seems like the nfl pitch made the ball wobble. But oh well, overall we didn't deserve to get much out of that game. No reason to be too negative though, City are a level above us currently. Sissoko again with a decent display!

We didn’t have the World Cup to deal with ...

I keep on saying it, the players who have shined across the league so far across ALL the teams have been the ones who hardly played at the WC ... or one or two like hazard who have been managed correctly

Everyone else looks knackered still

Aguero today looked like a player who can’t buy a goal against a top side
Kane did too

Their best players in their side so far this season has been Mahrez arguably
In pools it’s been wilnaldum
In Arsenal’s it’s difficult to say as most of their squad didn’t go WC
Chelsea’s has bene hazard and now Barkley has stepped up to help nice and fresh from a summer off...

Exactly. It’s why Moura and Lamela have had a bit of joy for us.

Back