• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Mighty Spurs vs Emirates Marketing Project

I'm not the most tactically minded, I mostly understand them in terms of shape but I thought Poch tactically got things right yesterday. I noticed we were going longer at the beginning of the game to avoid the press, which i thought was the right move too. We looked a lot less bare at the back than we have against City for the last two years. That could have been because City were slightly off it though, it's impossible to know for sure!

We did most things well against a top top side
And tactically that was a big thing
Our subs changed the game too just not enough ....

I appreciate him and wouldn’t want to sell him, I just don’t think he’s good enough technically and gives the ball away too frequently in dangerous positions. Winks and Wanyama are superior on the ball in my view, they would be the two I would pick in CM.

Funny. Wanyama is way better on the ball than I ever thought he would be, but I dont think he holds a candle to Dier personally.

Id argue he is probably better off the ball, but on balance Dier is the superior player.

I think the issues with Dier are who he plays with, most often. Look at him with Winks, completely different player than when he is with Demebele/Sissoko/Wanyama.

He spends a lot of time trying to do more than he rightfully should need to IMO, and thats where some cracks naturally appear - which people pick out and then write him off based on.

I appreciate him and wouldn’t want to sell him, I just don’t think he’s good enough technically and gives the ball away too frequently in dangerous positions. Winks and Wanyama are superior on the ball in my view, they would be the two I would pick in CM.

Wanyama is not good on the ball
He is a good destroyer but his passing is not a strong point
Winks and Dier is the pairing we should start every important game in

There was an article earlier in the season about the amount of goals that we conceded due to attacks down our right hand side.

Position needs sorting, Trippier is a good back up in a performing team, but he's never a starter. Walker might be regarded as some as just being quick, but he can actually defend better than him as well.

Wanyama is not good on the ball
He is a good destroyer but his passing is not a strong point
Winks and Dier is the pairing we should start every important game in

Fair enough. I don’t think Dier is good on the ball in any sense. We were at our best with Wanyama and Dembele in midfield but sadly Dembele looks like a shadow of the player he used to be.

It’s the case of everyone believing Wanyama is better as he isn’t currently playing... then when he comes back half fit again he will look poor and Dier will be the answer

We lost that game yesterday due to one players mistake... trippier. The amount of goals we concede down hai side is scary and is a big issue. That was a basic header for him and he roostered up massively and was as bad as Hugo’s errors IMO as it’s basic

Cut out basic unforced errors and it’s a simple game
People not happy with Dier has nothing to do with Wanyama, Dier is slow on the ball and we could do with upgrades in CM all round. Its ironic you talk about cutting out basic errors when that's Dier's downfall, he constantly gives the ball away with sloppiness. That being said he didn't yesterday and put in a decent shift....

Dier struggled last night against some of the best midfielders in the league. Dembele was useless and I don't think either was helped by playing alongside the other. They were both too slow both in possession and when trying to win the ball back, it felt like they were training cones for the City midfielders to play around at times. But City are a great team.

Winks was much better than the pair of them when he came on and I think now is the time to make Winks our go-to player for centre midfield. The rest can compete to play alongside him (and if nobody stands out this season, then I hope we buy a new player to play alongside him).

People not happy with Dier has nothing to do with Wanyama, Dier is slow on the ball and we could do with upgrades in CM all round. Its ironic you talk about cutting out basic errors when that's Dier's downfall, he constantly gives the ball away with sloppiness. That being said he didn't yesterday and put in a decent shift....

Everyone says he does that but when I ask for examples of when he has cost us the only one that gets quoted is pool away last season. I’d really like to know more errors that have cost us. I will add that I can’t remeber Wanyama making any that have cost us a goal so far

He is far better than some fans think and that’s been demonstrated this season, and his passing isn’t much better than again people think... I had a mate moan like feck about Diers performance at Brighton... and wouldnt accept that Dier made the two key passes in lamelas goal as he “doesn’t do quick passes”...

The issue remains he excels with a certain type of player alongside him and that shows

Everyone says he does that but when I ask for examples of when he has cost us the only one that gets quoted is pool away last season. I’d really like to know more errors that have cost us. I will add that I can’t remeber Wanyama making any that have cost us a goal so far

He is far better than some fans think and that’s been demonstrated this season, and his passing isn’t much better than again people think... I had a mate moan like feck about Diers performance at Brighton... and wouldnt accept that Dier made the two key passes in lamelas goal as he “doesn’t do quick passes”...

The issue remains he excels with a certain type of player alongside him and that shows
Come on mate, look in just about every match thread you'll find countless posters complain as Dier gives the ball away for the umpteenth time - are you saying its fine to do as long as 'it doesn't cost us?'

His passing other than when he is sloppy is fine, but he is generally too slow in possession - that's not to say he doesn't do the occasional great pass. My favourite was the long pass to Dele at Stamford Bridge last season....

I agree about the upgrades, think Torreira would have been a great signing for us. Kovacic looks quite brilliant. I watched Andre Gomes for the first time v Man U and he looked good. Doucoure another option.

Kovacic is a great passer but he has someone winning the ball for him... these players don’t look as good without the ball

That's fair enough, I actually think we could do with a smaller hustling mobile DM and a more creative (either through passing or dribbling) DM with good defensive attributes (Winks can be that player).

Come on mate, look in just about every match thread you'll find countless posters complain as Dier gives the ball away for the umpteenth time - are you saying its fine to do as long as 'it doesn't cost us?'

His passing other than when he is sloppy is fine, but he is generally too slow in possession - that's not to say he doesn't do the occasional great pass. My favourite was the long pass to Dele at Stamford Bridge last season....

I see it all the time but as I’ve said people can be wrong, myself included

I’ve looked back and it’s @Spurs7891 who made the negative comment Dier conceding the free kick yesterday... he was making up for someone else’s error again... do we slate a defensive midfielder for defending

He is there to be a sensible defensive shield and he needs a passer with him to be that pivot. It’s why him and winks works well

It’s why Kovacic and Jorginho look good at Chelsea as they have Kante winning the ball for them

I want to add that we lost that game yesterday because Trippier did a basic error

We didn’t equalise or score because our attackers missed the few chances we had

We didn’t lose that through midfield IMO - although Fernandinho was excellent but gets away with murder for them

Dier struggled last night against some of the best midfielders in the league. Dembele was useless and I don't think either was helped by playing alongside the other. They were both too slow both in possession and when trying to win the ball back, it felt like they were training cones for the City midfielders to play around at times. But City are a great team.

Winks was much better than the pair of them when he came on and I think now is the time to make Winks our go-to player for centre midfield. The rest can compete to play alongside him (and if nobody stands out this season, then I hope we buy a new player to play alongside him).

Totally agree re Winks. He’s the best footballer in that position in our team and should start nearly every game. Let everyone else have a royal rumble to play alongside him.

It’s the case of everyone believing Wanyama is better as he isn’t currently playing... then when he comes back half fit again he will look poor and Dier will be the answer

We lost that game yesterday due to one players mistake... trippier. The amount of goals we concede down hai side is scary and is a big issue. That was a basic header for him and he roostered up massively and was as bad as Hugo’s errors IMO as it’s basic

Cut out basic unforced errors and it’s a simple game

It was mostly on Tripper, no question, but I do wonder if his thought process on how to deal with it involved the question of where exactly Hugo would be.

Back