• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - 22.12.13 - 13:30 -Tottenham VS Southampton @ St, Mary's

What a very very strange game this has been.

Low on quality and so many misplaced passes

BUT

We do look ok. Just need to sort out the misplaced passes and a bit of the defensive side

Lamela has made some quick first time passes into tight spaces though, can see he has talent.

Most foreign players struggle with not realising you don't get much time on the ball. He will learn.

This.
He needs to strengthen and learn how to 'earn' that time and space

Lamela likes to play up the middle it seems. Even though he is meant to be playing wide right.

But surely there has to be at least a flash of brilliance from a player that scored 15 goals for Roma. I think the problem is in his head now.

Of course some of it will be in his head, I'm sure he'd of wanted to make a bigger impact to date so that will have some affect on him.

Plenty of foreign signings have looked very ordinary in their first year in the PL, whilst some settle faster. It's just a shame there is a £30m price tag against him as some people expect instant results. He's a purchase for the future and if all goes well we should reap the rewards.

Lamela needs to be played into form, hopefully our fans can be patient. Dropping him won't help anyone.

not a bad first half.......I think solly & Ade need to work a bit harder and im a bit worried about dembele......might be that Capoue needs to come on.... been impressed with Lamela.....working hard for the team and showing moments of quality.

Lamela likes to play up the middle it seems. Even though he is meant to be playing wide right.

Is he meant to?
He and Siggy have to come into the middle so that Eriksen and Dembele arent outnumbered 3 on 2.
You cant play a 442 with out and out wingers against a 433

Last edited:
Scrappy game so far, alot of stoppages for offside, throw ins and needless fouls for both sides. Not quite the attacking game i thought it'd be from both teams.

Defence is a little shaky, Rose just coming back from the lay off, Chiriches struggling in my view and Dawson is just too slow to react at times, I'd say Walker has been the best from our back five so far. I don't think Dembele has been too good, but he hasn't been too bad, strong on the ball but so slow on it. Eriksen has been okay, I think I'd like to see him alongside Sandro, think that may be a good partnership to be honest.

Sigurdsson needs to be involved more, it's a shame we haven't seen him central and Eriksen on the left though, I really liked what I saw of Sigurdsson against West Ham and was hoping we'd see the same today but obviously not. Lamela hasn't been too bad, works hard, puts a foot in but still getting to grips as expected when it's only his THIRD Prem start. Would love for him to score the winner today, that would be a great moment.

What a very very strange game this has been.

Low on quality and so many misplaced passes

BUT

We do look ok. Just need to sort out the misplaced passes and a bit of the defensive side

Southampton's pressing has forced a few mistakes, but they seemed to run out of steam at the end of the half (now where have I heard that before?). Expecting the second to start similarly to the first.

Lamela needs to be played into form, hopefully our fans can be patient. Dropping him won't help anyone.
Exactly. The problem is we have another fan favourite in Lennon who plays in that position. And even Townsend. But to reap the benefits of Lamela he just needs to play.

Eriksen has given me confidence for the future, he's shown a lot of good movement in the middle and can play the first time pass well. Given how Southampton have pressured I'm not sure we could expect much more from build up play, but when we have passed it around their front three we have made an attack and looked dangerous. Still worried about our defensive game though

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe we should put him next to eriksen in CM position with Sandro DM to keep it cool on the defensive part as well. 2 creating CM is exactly what we need, more chances for ADE to score...

We look more cohesive than usual. Lots of misplaced passes, bad decisions and misunderstandings between our personnel, but when we're breaking at speed we look dangerous. Ade's building up a head of steam, which can only be a good thing, and as a whole we haven't been troubled too much. Good game to watch so far.

Now, on to substitutions: not sure we should make any at half-time. Walker's dealing with threats down the right comfortably, so there's no help needed there, but perhaps putting Lennon on for Lamela is a good move as it allows Walker to go infield more and help out Daws and Chiriches when they're facing play directly ahead of them (which we don't have a dedicated destroyer/DM to deal with at the moment). Alternatively, move Eriksen out to the left and put Capoue on for Sigurdsson (who's on a yellow card anyway) to offer some defensive solidity in the centre. Neither are too pressing at the moment, but you get the sense that Southampton aren't quite done yet.

Encouraging performance, all told. But we need to make it count.

The game is a bit scrappy with neither team really getting hold of the ball.

1-1 at halftime is a fair reflection of the play.

Is he meant to?
He and Siggy have to come into the middle so that Eriksen and Dembele arent outnumbered 3 on 2.
You can play a 442 with out and out wingers against a 433

It could be either a 4-2-2-2 or 4-1-3-2, but the players move around too much to really be anything specific.

Back