• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official TV Thread ***

Watched Ricky Gervais: Armageddon. Not his funniest work but still funnier than nearly every other comedian in this country. The critics will hate it of course because they are spineless cowards and completely out of touch with the audience.

Watched the big fat quiz of the year the other day. I feel slightly wrong for saying this, but does anyone else think that Rosie Jones just isn’t funny? Comedy is about timing and it’s not her fault but you can work out the punchline before she gets to it and people laugh almost out of politeness. People with disabilities should be given the same opportunities as anyone else but I feel she gets more airtime than her talent actually warrants and there’s other funnier comedians on the circuit like Chris McCausland for example. Like I said, I feel wrong for saying this but we should be allowed to say a comedian isn’t funny right? Regardless of whether they are able bodied or not.

Last edited:
Watched the big fat quiz of the year the other day. I feel slightly wrong for saying this, but does anyone else think that Rosie Jones just isn’t funny? Comedy is about timing and it’s not her fault but you can work out the punchline before she gets to it and people laugh almost out of politeness. People with disabilities should be given the same opportunities as anyone else but I feel she gets more airtime than her talent actually warrants and there’s other funnier comedians on the circuit like Chris McCausland for example. Like I said, I feel wrong for saying this but we should be allowed to say a comedian isn’t funny right? Regardless of whether they are able bodied or not.

Timing is everything in comedy, Kevin bridges does some funny stuff but for me the timing and delivery is awful.
Don't know Jones that well and find her mildly amusing at best but I can't say I've noticed anything about her delivery.

Nothing wrong with everyone having equal opportunities but when your disability is in direct conflict with the thing you're trying to do then it gets a bit silly and pointless.

Nobody would expect someone without legs to get given a chance as a PL footballer or a blind person a chance as an airline pilot.

Nothing wrong with everyone having equal opportunities but when your disability is in direct conflict with the thing you're trying to do then it gets a bit silly and pointless.

Nobody would expect someone without legs to get given a chance as a PL footballer or a blind person a chance as an airline pilot.

Be fair people like Ben Elton and Alexi Sayle were given a go.

We could do with this fella!

She’s on House of Games in the new year. Not sure how that will work as it’s a quick fire quiz show. They will have to be longer episodes almost certainly. It worked when they had Chris McCausland on as they replaced the pictures with music.

Much like your man Ricky Gervais having the bravery to attack the most marginalized groups in society, it's about time we start going after female disabled comedians too, they've had it easy for far too long haven't they...

As for the bolded bit, like saying Merry Christmas, it's also completely illegal to say you don't think a comedian isn't funny. These days you can get arrested just for saying you're English as well, wot a world we liv in.

Much like your man Ricky Gervais having the bravery to attack the most marginalized groups in society, it's about time we start going after female disabled comedians too, they've had it easy for far too long haven't they...

As for the bolded bit, like saying Merry Christmas, it's also completely illegal to say you don't think a comedian isn't funny. These days you can get arrested just for saying you're English as well, wot a world we liv in.

Making jokes isn’t the same as attacking. If we all want inclusion then that means being poked fun at like everyone else. He makes fun more of the ideology than the particular groups. I’d much rather listen to him than the likes Nish Kumar and Catherine Bohart talk about the same subjects all the time like colonialism and the gender pay gap but comedy is subjective. I don’t like Mrs Brown’s Boys or Not Going Out but plenty of people do. I don’t have an issue with Rosie Jones other than the fact that I don’t find her funny. There’s plenty of funnier comedians out there IMO that deserve more air time than she gets.

Making jokes isn’t the same as attacking. If we all want inclusion then that means being poked fun at like everyone else. He makes fun more of the ideology than the particular groups. I’d much rather listen to him than the likes Nish Kumar and Catherine Bohart talk about the same subjects all the time like colonialism and the gender pay gap but comedy is subjective. I don’t like Mrs Brown’s Boys or Not Going Out but plenty of people do. I don’t have an issue with Rosie Jones other than the fact that I don’t find her funny. There’s plenty of funnier comedians out there IMO that deserve more air time than she gets.

If Hitler was around today I bet he'd be on a podcast making "jokes" to start off with. I don't think Gervais is outwardly hateful but just plays to the lowest common denominator to remain relevant. His jokes are enjoyed by those who want to deny people's right to be who they are and they contribute to the real difficulties they face. This discussion has reminded me of Stewart Lee's bit of Gervais saying the un-sayable which was absolute fudging gold, definitely worth a revisit.

Obviously it's fine to not find Rosie Jones funny, comedy is subjective but to then suggest she's getting opportunities because of her condition is quite startling. Making it out to be some assault on free speech ("Am I allowed to say I don't like this comedian? Is it ok!? Can't say anything these days yada yada) / inclusivity debate is like Bill Maher at his worst. I'm not a huge fan of Gervais (bar the real office) so I don't watch him, you can do the same with Rosie Jones. And if you find listening to disabled people in an entertainment context difficult then that's your thing to either investigate or ignore as you please.

Last edited:
If Hitler was around today I bet he'd be on a podcast making "jokes" to start off with. I don't think Gervais is outwardly hateful but just plays to the lowest common denominator to remain relevant. His jokes are enjoyed by those who want to deny people's right to be who they are and they contribute to the real difficulties they face. This discussion has reminded me of Stewart Lee's bit of Gervais saying the un-sayable which was absolute fudging gold, definitely worth a revisit.

Obviously it's fine to not find Rosie Jones funny, comedy is subjective but to then suggest she's getting opportunities because of her condition is quite startling. Making it out to be some assault on free speech ("Am I allowed to say I don't like this comedian? Is it ok!? Can't say anything these days yada yada) / inclusivity debate is like Bill Maher at his worst. I'm not a huge fan of Gervais (bar the real office) so I don't watch him, you can do the same with Rosie Jones. And if you find listening to disabled people in an entertainment context difficult then that's your thing to either investigate or ignore as you please.

Edit - Making jokes that belittle

Personally I find stewart Lee one of the least funny comedians out there.
Gervais is hit and miss for me, the office was gold and although I found after life a really hard watch it was good, his stand up is meh.

Personally I find stewart Lee one of the least funny comedians out there.
Gervais is hit and miss for me, the office was gold and although I found after life a really hard watch it was good, his stand up is meh.

I could see Lee being described as something of an acquired taste, at times he's more doing a deconstruction of comedy rather than just trying to get as many laughs as possible via an attempt to be relatable. As far away from a Michael McIntyre as you can get.

Gervais is interesting in that the longer he goes on the clearer it becomes that Merchant and Pilkington were the more pivotal parts of what was good about the material. After life seemed a bit bit forced whilst attempting to be a sickening level of sentimental to me but I can see why it tugs people's heartstrings. The Golden globe hostings were interesting occasions if you're in to mean spirited comedy jabbing at people's worst moments....

I definitely think there’s an element of Gervais being well known for saying edgy things that most mainstream comedians (except for the likes of Jimmy Carr, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock for example) wouldn’t dare say and he’s maintaining that shtick to get even richer than he already is. Also think he likes poking the bear, so the more criticism he gets from the mirror, the guardian etc the more he will talk about taboo subjects. I must say I didn’t think Armageddon was his best special, but I do appreciate his willingness to talk about things like immigration, trans and over sensitivity. I’m very much for immigration and trans people having the same rights as anyone else but there is some downright goofy opinions in the militant part of the trans lobby, especially when it comes to trans participation in sport. Either you agree with them that trans should be allowed to compete without any thought being given to if it’s unfair to biological women or you’re a transphobe. But barely anyone challenges it except Sharron Davies and GB News.

I could see Lee being described as something of an acquired taste, at times he's more doing a deconstruction of comedy rather than just trying to get as many laughs as possible via an attempt to be relatable. As far away from a Michael McIntyre as you can get.

Gervais is interesting in that the longer he goes on the clearer it becomes that Merchant and Pilkington were the more pivotal parts of what was good about the material. After life seemed a bit bit forced whilst attempting to be a sickening level of sentimental to me but I can see why it tugs people's heartstrings. The Golden globe hostings were interesting occasions if you're in to mean spirited comedy jabbing at people's worst moments....

I wouldn't call the golden globes mean spirited, more the pricking of some very over inflated egos.

Don't find mcintyre in the least funny.

I'm sounding like a proper grinch 😋.

I definitely think there’s an element of Gervais being well known for saying edgy things that most mainstream comedians (except for the likes of Jimmy Carr, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock for example) wouldn’t dare say and he’s maintaining that shtick to get even richer than he already is. Also think he likes poking the bear, so the more criticism he gets from the mirror, the guardian etc the more he will talk about taboo subjects. I must say I didn’t think Armageddon was his best special, but I do appreciate his willingness to talk about things like immigration, trans and over sensitivity. I’m very much for immigration and trans people having the same rights as anyone else but there is some downright goofy opinions in the militant part of the trans lobby, especially when it comes to trans participation in sport. Either you agree with them that trans should be allowed to compete without any thought being given to if it’s unfair to biological women or you’re a transphobe. But barely anyone challenges it except Sharron Davies and GB News.

The militant trans lobby? Get a grip. There's swathes of men who are devastated at the supposed impact on women's sport having previously shown no interest in women's sport. Due to the patriarchy lessening it's grip it's only in the last 20 years that some sports have been made legal for women to participate in and has since been derided and mocked by many man, but now as it's a tool to whip up hatred against a different minority suddenly everyone has a PhD in the impact of male puberty and an active interest in women's sports.

Appreciating Gervais' willingness to talk about trans issues is like appreciating Boris Johnson's willingness to talk about honesty, neither know anything about they are discussing. I've no idea why trans involvement in sport has been crowbarred in to this discussion anyways but I guess it's more comfortable then the Rosie Jones subject.

I'm happy to move on and ideally return this thread to matters of TV and such. If you want a thread to fawn over comedians who repeatedly proclaim they've been cancelled whilst on their 3rd Netflix special of the year then create one.

Back