• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Sponsors and Partners Thread

It isn't, there's already protests about it.

It's faintly ludicrous on the face of it, tbh - I'm involved in government-wide planning, and I would be unemployed in a week if I ever let a proposal to fund a Premier League team get to Cabinet.

That the South African government signed off on this while their country is roiled by power cuts, widespread crime and poverty is on the face of it pretty stark, especially given that this money would have done far more good bring invested into the South African game.

It's not even like they're a pseudo-dictatorship like Rwanda - they're a functional democracy, there are supposed to be checks on this sort of thing.

https://ewn.co.za/0001/01/01/sa-tourism-board-conditionally-approves-tottenham-hotspur-deal

"The money that is invested in tourism is not the same money for energy or potholes, there are other departments for that. Our legislative mandate is about persuading international travelers to spend their money in the country,” Khumalo explained.
Khumalo said before the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, tourism was contributing 6.4% to the country’s gross domestic product (GDP). This has since dropped to 3.2%. He said SAT was not asking for “new money” to go into the deal, but rather that SAT would be aggregating the money that would go into their smaller projects to the deal. "If you take 2017 to 2019, we spent just under R1.2 billion in terms of media investment on foreign soil. So that money has been spent in international marketing in any event. For the last 20 years, money has been spent on foreign soil to persuade foreign nationals to travel into South Africa."

https://ewn.co.za/0001/01/01/sa-tourism-board-conditionally-approves-tottenham-hotspur-deal

"The money that is invested in tourism is not the same money for energy or potholes, there are other departments for that. Our legislative mandate is about persuading international travelers to spend their money in the country,” Khumalo explained.
Khumalo said before the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic, tourism was contributing 6.4% to the country’s gross domestic product (GDP). This has since dropped to 3.2%. He said SAT was not asking for “new money” to go into the deal, but rather that SAT would be aggregating the money that would go into their smaller projects to the deal. "If you take 2017 to 2019, we spent just under R1.2 billion in terms of media investment on foreign soil. So that money has been spent in international marketing in any event. For the last 20 years, money has been spent on foreign soil to persuade foreign nationals to travel into South Africa."
That's not the legendary Bongani.....I knew that deal would pay off in the end:D

That's why it's a good idea to keep politics out of sports. Use sporting events to break down walls.

I see the same value in using football to help Dubai and S Africa national development - cultural or tourism or economics...let's broaden our minds

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

I'm aware how it works - for context, in Canada we have a Department (Innovation, Science and Economic Development) that handles tourism in collaboration with a few others, and their budget is separate to the budgets used for more pressing national priorities.

However, if they presented a proposal to sponsor a Premier League side with taxpayers' money, there would still be several red flags raised before it ever got to Cabinet.

Chief among them would be the political wisdom of it - spending 45m on a British sports team when investing that money domestically would be more useful. And that's in Canada - in SA with sky-high crime rates, rolling blackouts and deepening divides between rich and poor South Africans, the optics of this are atrocious, and their public service should have known better.

I'm aware how it works - for context, in Canada we have a Department (Innovation, Science and Economic Development) that handles tourism in collaboration with a few others, and their budget is separate to the budgets used for more pressing national priorities.

However, if they presented a proposal to sponsor a Premier League side with taxpayers' money, there would still be several red flags raised before it ever got to Cabinet.

Chief among them would be the political wisdom of it - spending 45m on a British sports team when investing that money domestically would be more useful. And that's in Canada - in SA with sky-high crime rates, rolling blackouts and deepening divides between rich and poor South Africans, the optics of this are atrocious, and their public service should have known better.

So canada doesn't spend money advertising tourism abroad? In the uk we see a lot of adverts to visit other countries the one that sticks in my mind is this one.

Can you comment on the relative wisdom or likely success of spending money to raise awareness through association with a massive sports brand with significant global exposure (for that is what Tottenham Hotspur is) as opposed to using it for smaller internal projects that would specifically fall under the same legislative mandate that Khumalo refers to?

I would be intrigued to know whether the Rwandan tourism agency have seen any notable benefit from their sleeve sponsorship deal.

It is a good idea but somewhat tricky when a government is directly involved in something.
forget the government, whatever you can do as a civilian won't change anything about a foreign government.
visiting south africa would boost tourism and employment...that's real power for you

For a fan Ally Gold don’t half whinge. “Unhappiness” I mean you support Spurs, this is good news! SA have a massive global brand at their disposal if this comes off. Associated with one of the greatest teams on earth. What a deal for them!

For a fan Ally Gold don’t half whinge. “Unhappiness” I mean you support Spurs, this is good news! SA have a massive global brand at their disposal if this comes off. Associated with one of the greatest teams on earth. What a deal for them!

He's not unhappy. Maybe read the article?

He tweeted: there's a fair bit of unhappiness about the deal in South Africa.

See above.

Yes. He's not unhappy but some people in sa are complaining that the money should be spent on sport in sa. Not sure how that's him whinging, he's just reporting. The deal isn't done yet, it was leaked. If the unhappiness in sa is loud enough it could scupper it. Hopefully it isn't.

Back