• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

He did hit the target - but the keeper got something on it and it hit the post.

Am not one of the people on here who loves Siggy however I think in this instance he did the right thing and shot himself rather than passing to Defoe. Defoe had a defender close to him so there was no guarantee at all that he would have scored.

I do still wonder what Siggy's future is given that now that Bale has moved to this central role then 4-4-1-1 looks like being our main formation. Siggy I think fits in better in the midfield of a 4-3-3 which I always thought was what we would end up playing however am now not sure given it means Bale occupying a wide, albeit flexible, position. I guess it depends on who the CF is, how mobile they are and whether they can move out wide. 4-4-1-1 also suits Lennon far better than 4-3-3.

Well, Siggy has done extremely well since moving out on the left. The fact he's actually starting games regularly has doubtless helped his confidence no end. Not only has he been much more involved, he's also been putting in some decent crosses AND scoring. Maybe also that little bit of extra space plus the burden of having to do all the grafting that falls on him when he's more central has been lifted, allowing him to be more relaxed and pull off a few party tricks.

Notwithstanding our out-of-form strikers Defoe and / or Ade, the current formation with Bale roaming just behind them seems to be working a treat.

So if it ain't broke ...

if you've not seen the goals:

[video=youtube;wer-RyNFN70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wer-RyNFN70&feature=player_embedded[/video]

and

[video=youtube;0Z_cbEW2PC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0Z_cbEW2PC4[/video]

.... and i didn't know his middle name is "THOR"!

It was just revealed on an Icelandic footie show that Gylfi got a text from AVB after the game, something along the lines of: "Well done Gylfi, finally the touch is back!"

Nicely done by him and great to see our manager really on top of things! Wonder if some of the other guys who did well got a text as well. Didn't AVB have a reputation for staying in excellent contact with current and former players?

It was just revealed on an Icelandic footie show that Gylfi got a text from AVB after the game, something along the lines of: "Well done Gylfi, finally the touch is back!"

Nicely done by him and great to see our manager really on top of things! Wonder if some of the other guys who did well got a text as well. Didn't AVB have a reputation for staying in excellent contact with current and former players?

Would really like to know if Ade got a text from AVB after the game and what it eventually said...

Isn't that a bit of a back-handed compliment? Basically saying his touch has been brick? Or is there some inside joke that I'm missing or something?

Isn't that a bit of a back-handed compliment? Basically saying his touch has been brick? Or is there some inside joke that I'm missing or something?

I think I heard them say touch. But basically it was him complimenting Gylfi on the goals and probably working on getting his confidence up, after the dry spell he endured with us. I'll see if I can catch a replay of the show and listen again, just in case! :-"

Would really like to know if Ade got a text from AVB after the game and what it eventually said...

The text was after the international game.
Obviously AVB does'nt need to text players after his own games, he can speak to them in the dressing room.

Haha, just listened to it again and the text was: "Well done Gylfi, finishing touch is back!" Sounds a bit better than my previous version... :)

And yes, as Modric THFC rightly pointed out, the text came after the Slovenia game last week.

Yeah suprisingly hasn't had a clear FK opportunity yet. Its almost as if none of our players get tackled in final third :lol:

I remember a lot of people were saying he could quite easily be the new Frank Lampard and I'm agreeing now (in terms of his goals), he seems to be in the right place at the right time for his goals and important ones at that. One in the group stage in the Europa League, the West Ham goal, Basel, today. He has been great since AVB gave him the start against Arsenal and he hasn't looked back since. I can't wait to see him more centrally next season when we've signed who we want and AVB has his team.

still more to come from the Gylf imo

his current position isnt the most appropriate for him. Once he gains more confidence, and his feet move even quicker and his mind is likewise sharper, i think he can move into a more central position and really show his qualities

Surely he will only get regular starts more centrally if Bale is sold?

I think he works quite well on the left, rather wasted on the right, but cutting in from the left and occasionally swapping positions with the more central players he has been good for us.

I think he'll blossom more when we move to a 4-3-3 and assuming he plays in the midfield 3. His distribution is decent and is better utilised there with Bale, Lennon and hopefully a mobile CF making runs ahead of him

He is quicker than I thought too. Got good skill as well, he's like the total upgrade to Dempsey, I think he's better in every department apart from heading. I wonder what happens to Dempsey in the summer, I do think he could be useful as a squad player, especially if we do make CL.

Back