• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

Another excellent performance from him. He gives so much protection to the full back he is in front of with his high energy game. Just keeping my fingers crossed for one of his curlers to come off like in in pre season against Red Bulls - Sunday would be perfect!

I'm probably being unfair on Holtby here because he's really a player for next season but from what I've seen of Holtby I've been very unimpressed. Yes he's energetic and sparky but he hasn't done all that much. He does "a job" and all that but he's not the player (at this moment) I thought he was going to be. He certainly hasn't shown us anything of what he was like at Schalke. And yes I know he's not being played in a similar position but I have to say I'm not aboard the Holtby bus like some seem t be.

I remember very similar comments made just a few years ago about a certain young lad - went by the name of Gareth Bale...

He's grabbed his chance and has caught my eye, great buy, and great to have a Scandinavian in the side!

Thought he was brilliant last night, and definitely his best performance for us. He looks much, much sharper than he did at the start of the season. He's a definite starter for me if he keeps this form going. Great to see him succeed!

Thinking about it, that means all of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson now have made their mark for Spurs, the first three having had the best impact so far, but also Dempsey and Siggy have proved their worth for us. I'd say that's pretty good summer business from Spurs!

My thoughts as well.

Thought he was brilliant last night, and definitely his best performance for us. He looks much, much sharper than he did at the start of the season. He's a definite starter for me if he keeps this form going. Great to see him succeed!

Thinking about it, that means all of Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson now have made their mark for Spurs, the first three having had the best impact so far, but also Dempsey and Siggy have proved their worth for us. I'd say that's pretty good summer business from Spurs!

The management of the squad has been absolutely magnificent. There is NO dead-wood. In fact, every player has had an impact at some point this season, and every player has felt part of the set-up. Sig is a shining example. Something wasn't right early-season, and rather than leave him in the firing line, he was nurtured via the training pitch and sub appearances. Never marginalized, always part of it but without all the pressure. I think hitting the woodwork 5 times must have been draining (the Everton one in particular) then that wonder save from Begovic against Stoke...another sign that the entire club is being managed supremely well right now. It's quite something to think that right now, Sig is in and Dempsey and Holtby are fighting for places (Holtby is, of course, still in adjustment phase)...so very exciting...

I don't think Siggy and Holtby are all that similar. Siggy reminds me of a Lampard/Kranjcar cross - someone of velvet technical quality who can score consistently from long range and possesses good vision for play in front of him, but may be hampered by the lack of a quick turn and acceleration in tight spaces. That lack of close acceleration worried me a bit for the AM role, but it seems he's found his feet as a wide playmaker - he's a lot more mobile and grafting than I expected, while his crossing looks positively ([-o<) Gerrard-esque. I think he'd be phenomenal paired with a clever, aerially-dominant striker like Falcao, rather than Defoe or the limp noodle that is Ade in the air. (... Jovetic, anyone? :))

Holtby doesn't have VdV's shooting boots or bursts of acceleration either, so I don't really see him thriving in that no. 10 role either for now, and he can't operate there until he's more comfortable with moving out wide to make room for Bale who seems to be our CAM half the time these days. However from what I've seen of him in German football, his quick passing, tigerish energy, and fine range could shine in a deeper role. I'm not saying he's Wheelchair or Modric just yet, but we have to be patient and let him calm down and adjust to the pace of English football. It's clear that he's overeager to impress so his positional sense and touch has gone haywire; fortunately AVB is very gentle at easing in players and he'll know we don't expect to see the best of him till next season anyways.

Based on our transfer links of late I'd expect us to go for a true crafty playmaker like Clasie or Eriksen this summer, though the more winger-ish Brazilian Bernard is also a very interesting option when you consider how eager we were for Willian in Jan. That'd suggest we see Bale's future in the center.

Veeeeeeeery good post, agree with the most part, but I do think we'll be leaning more towards wingers than AM's like Eriksen but who knows.

This. We may have just got a bit lucky with how this has fallen into place.
Siggy's delivery is first class, which is good because so was bales from the left. Also within a game i would imagine they could swap positions for a bit if we need to change things up.

Still think Siggy is putting too much effort in, at Swansea he had much more flow and the game came to him, but that said if hard work turns things round, then good for him.

Funny thing is that Holtby had a shocker of a cameo last night.

At least AVB rewards good performance and show fairness in selection, if you're on an upward curve, you're in.

Sometimes it happens like that. Inspired selection, an injury to another allowing another to step in (i.e Dempsey). Right now I wouldnt mind seeing Sigurdsson stay in the team out on the left, looks like its now allowed Bale to become the goalscoring forward we should have bought in January.

Been on Sky Go, Footytube, etc etc just to watch the highlights of the last few games (feel good Saturday). Was looking out for Bale but blimey - how impressive Siggy looks in the last few!?!

Aggresive, technical and team-orientated...

I was pro signing him so no surprise to me biatches \o/

Really great to see Sigurdsson starting to show why we bought him. I think the goal against West Ham has really given him boost of confidence.

I cant fathom why Siggy didnt pass to Defoe when Defoe was totally unmarked and Siggys angle wasnt that great - this was when he hit the post. I know he is eager to score and we can accuse Defoe of the same thing as I think he also should have squared to Bale rather than shoot earlier on.

3-1 would have totally won us that game

Back