• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

I think Sig has done well for us from the left. That's where his best run has been and he's looked better there than when playing the number 10 role earlier in the season. That's not a definite answer, not just sure moving him centrally would make him better.

He looked very good for Swansea last season as a number 10, but we're not Swansea (and Swansea aren't us I suppose). Swansea had a lot of intricate and fairly quick passing going on, Allen and Britton kept possession, but were quite purposeful on the ball, their entire team was very good at keeping the ball with short passing and finding players in tight space. We're just not as good at feeding our attacking players those little accurate passes that I think Sig feeds on in that role. From the left he can pick his times to drift inside more, arrive a little later into the space between the lines after other players have dragged opponents out of position.

Sig has good close control and he's capable of shifting the ball to get a shot away, but he's not often going to do what Bale does when receiving an average pass 35 yards from goal, just completely leave someone for dead and threaten both with a shot and with bursting through with pace and power.

Shifting Bale wide left again would probably get us a lot of crosses, crosses that we very rarely score from. Sig in the centre would almost certainly not score as much as Bale has been doing. I think AVB is getting it right with Lennon right, Bale in the centre and Sig or Dempsey on the left.

I think Sig has done well for us from the left. That's where his best run has been and he's looked better there than when playing the number 10 role earlier in the season. That's not a definite answer, not just sure moving him centrally would make him better.

He looked very good for Swansea last season as a number 10, but we're not Swansea (and Swansea aren't us I suppose). Swansea had a lot of intricate and fairly quick passing going on, Allen and Britton kept possession, but were quite purposeful on the ball, their entire team was very good at keeping the ball with short passing and finding players in tight space. We're just not as good at feeding our attacking players those little accurate passes that I think Sig feeds on in that role. From the left he can pick his times to drift inside more, arrive a little later into the space between the lines after other players have dragged opponents out of position.

Sig has good close control and he's capable of shifting the ball to get a shot away, but he's not often going to do what Bale does when receiving an average pass 35 yards from goal, just completely leave someone for dead and threaten both with a shot and with bursting through with pace and power.

Shifting Bale wide left again would probably get us a lot of crosses, crosses that we very rarely score from. Sig in the centre would almost certainly not score as much as Bale has been doing. I think AVB is getting it right with Lennon right, Bale in the centre and Sig or Dempsey on the left.

With what he has got.

If we have decided that Bale plays centrally then we need a 'replacement' for him on the left. Sig is ok from there but pace is needed I think in that position.

It just seems unbalanced our squad - where I dont even know where you would play Sig as, in my view, he doesnt look that dangerous on left but has done fairly well there just not effective.

With what he has got.

If we have decided that Bale plays centrally then we need a 'replacement' for him on the left. Sig is ok from there but pace is needed I think in that position.

It just seems unbalanced our squad - where I dont even know where you would play Sig as, in my view, he doesnt look that dangerous on left but has done fairly well there just not effective.

I agree that some cover on the wings is needed. I think Townsend can bring that for next season. For now I think we have to make do with a wonky as the only option as long as Bale plays centrally or is out injured. We do miss Lennon a bit though.

Edit: Part of AVB's job is do to well with what he's got. We're Tottenham, we're a well fun, financially sound football club. We're not Chelsea, we're not Emirates Marketing Project and we're not Real Madrid. We don't have and I doubt we ever will have full direct like for like cover for every position and every role. Neither does those other teams I mention actually.

I agree with this. I have not been particularly impressed by Siggy in the centre, whereas on the wing he has done some of his best work. He's put his shift in defensively, he's come inside and let off some decent shots too.

If we are going to play a wonky i would be happy with Sig on the left and Lennon on the right.

I agree that some cover on the wings is needed. I think Townsend can bring that for next season. For now I think we have to make do with a wonky as the only option as long as Bale plays centrally or is out injured. We do miss Lennon a bit though.

Edit: Part of AVB's job is do to well with what he's got. We're Tottenham, we're a well fun, financially sound football club. We're not Chelsea, we're not Emirates Marketing Project and we're not Real Madrid. We don't have and I doubt we ever will have full direct like for like cover for every position and every role. Neither does those other teams I mention actually.

Definitely fun we are ;)

I dont think we need to have direct cover for left side but we would definitely need a first teamer if Bale moves infield - I guess that would mean selling one of Sig or Dempsey as Bale would be the first teamer in that hole and doubt we would get rid of Holtby.

Anyways Sig has definitely improved since the start of the season

Definitely fun we are ;)

I dont think we need to have direct cover for left side but we would definitely need a first teamer if Bale moves infield - I guess that would mean selling one of Sig or Dempsey as Bale would be the first teamer in that hole and doubt we would get rid of Holtby.

Anyways Sig has definitely improved since the start of the season

In my defense the s and r keys are right next to each other on the keyboard :) I've made worse mistakes, at least I've stopped mixing up Dempsey and Dembele when posting here, progress of a sort :)

Sig and Dempsey with the possibility of playing Holtby is good cover, just no wing option. I think Townsend coming back in the summer can give us that completely different option, he can also cover the right flank and give us a real option out there. I certainly wouldn't mind a world class left winger coming in to better accommodate Bale playing more centrally, but I wouldn't mind us just bringing back Townsend and focusing on other areas of the pitch.

In my defense the s and r keys are right next to each other on the keyboard :) I've made worse mistakes, at least I've stopped mixing up Dempsey and Dembele when posting here, progress of a sort :)

Sig and Dempsey with the possibility of playing Holtby is good cover, just no wing option. I think Townsend coming back in the summer can give us that completely different option, he can also cover the right flank and give us a real option out there. I certainly wouldn't mind a world class left winger coming in to better accommodate Bale playing more centrally, but I wouldn't mind us just bringing back Townsend and focusing on other areas of the pitch.

So we are a 'sun club'? ;)

I'm really desperate for Sig' to do well, but at the moment it's just not happening for the guy.

I think he's being played out of position and he's trying a bit too hard. But he's not offering a whole lot in all honesty. Which is a shame because he seems a decent guy who is desperate to impress.

Still young though, and as I say I don't think playing on the left is his best.

THIS game it wasn't happening for him and we happened to be up against the second best team in the league. He's been good in recent weeks though.

He's still playing out of position. If we had started with Siggy where Holtby ended up, Dempsey on the left and Bale on the right, we'd look better.

I'm really desperate for Sig' to do well, but at the moment it's just not happening for the guy.

I think he's being played out of position and he's trying a bit too hard. But he's not offering a whole lot in all honesty. Which is a shame because he seems a decent guy who is desperate to impress.

Still young though, and as I say I don't think playing on the left is his best.

Not commenting on today, but I'm disappointed with what he's shown us so far. He was making Lampard like runs to the edge of the box last year and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to score goals. Plus he was far more threatening from set pieces.

Not commenting on today, but I'm disappointed with what he's shown us so far. He was making Lampard like runs to the edge of the box last year and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time to score goals. Plus he was far more threatening from set pieces.

He's still making those runs, we simply don't have players capable of spotting those runs and passing him the ball - nationalities aside - it's quite frustrating.

I agree with Mumorn. We looked good today playing a midfield 3 of Thudd, Dembele and Holtby and perhaps that is where Gylfi's best position is, just like Holtby. Bale and Dempsey cutting in from either side with our fullbacks providing width and Thudd quarterbacking from midfield?

Great cameo today. Though he's been inconsistent for us in his first season, making so many sub appearances and playing in different positions (and rarely his natural one) must have contributed a huge amount to that inconsistency... he's shown some real moments of quality for us, and I'd love to see him get a run in the team at some point.

Both him and Holtby are so superior to Parker in possession I don't get why they aren't starting more. 'Last season Parker' that won lots of balls defensively could have had a case, but not the one we're currently seeing.

Looked comfortable in the middle of that 433. I especially love that turn he did to beat Ramires and Oscar. I hope he gets a start against Stoke.

He and Adebayor seem to have a fantastic understanding also.. I've seen glimpses of it all season, they just need more time playing together IMO.

I'm very drunk. But I love this man. fudging quality footballer, anyone who doubts that can fudge themselves.

Back