• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Siggi

Re: Gylfi Sigurdsson

I remember a lot of people were saying he could quite easily be the new Frank Lampard and I'm agreeing now (in terms of his goals), he seems to be in the right place at the right time for his goals and important ones at that. One in the group stage in the Europa League, the West Ham goal, Basel, today. He has been great since AVB gave him the start against Arsenal and he hasn't looked back since. I can't wait to see him more centrally next season when we've signed who we want and AVB has his team.

Don't really understand the Lampard comparisons; surely Frank's game has always been about those late runs from deep positions, whereas Sigurdsson is more of a forward who rarely starts or comes deep?

Don't really understand the Lampard comparisons; surely Frank's game has always been about those late runs from deep positions, whereas Sigurdsson is more of a forward who rarely starts or comes deep?

Playing him central would see him making the late runs from deep (AVBs style would be 3 central midfielders), it's a position I've wanted Sigurdsson playing all season in a midfield three. He was very similar at Swansea.

He is quicker than I thought too. Got good skill as well, he's like the total upgrade to Dempsey, I think he's better in every department apart from heading. I wonder what happens to Dempsey in the summer, I do think he could be useful as a squad player, especially if we do make CL.

I think we'll go for a striker (similar to Damiao, but probably not him), a number 10/creative attacking player, a more defensive midfielder/passer and a LB. Maybe we'll see the switch to 4-3-3

one of the first players on my team sheet these days.

I'm not sure whether that would be the case next year if we go 4-3-3. Would he get in a 3 man midfield of ours? Sandro, Dembele and Siggy? Would have thought that Siggy is most at risk there if we sign a midfielder. And think he's a midfielder in a 4-3-3 rather than forward. Think our forwards would be Bale, Lennon plus a new CF (hopefully!)

Would still get a large number of games though given injuries, cups and Europe

Playing him central would see him making the late runs from deep (AVBs style would be 3 central midfielders), it's a position I've wanted Sigurdsson playing all season in a midfield three. He was very similar at Swansea.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he was playing more of a no.10 role at Swansea.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure he was playing more of a no.10 role at Swansea.

was more:

.................Graham
Sinclair.....................Routledge
........Sigurdsson...Allen
..................Britton

If we switch to 433 next season it will mean a new starting creative midfielder will have been signed

Last edited:

I remember quite distinctly that Swansea changed from a 4-3-3 to a 4-2-3-1 looking formation when they signed Sig on loan to play him in the hole. My memory is far from perfect though.

Both Britton and Allen played deeper roles than Sigurdsson did iirc.

If we switch to 433 next season it will mean a new starting creative midfielder will have been signed

More importantly it will mean Bale wont be playing in his best goalscoring position.
Only way this is gonna happen is if we sell Bale.
AVB will be planning his side around Bale, he is not gonna move Bale back out to the wings 433 is no go with Bale.

More importantly it will mean Bale wont be playing in his best goalscoring position.
Only way this is gonna happen is if we sell Bale.
AVB will be planning his side around Bale, he is not gonna move Bale back out to the wings 433 is no go with Bale.

i disagree on the Bale front - from what i have read on how Villa Boas lined Porto up in the 433 Bale would suit one of the 'wide' positions quite nicely (similar to how Hulk was played i guess)

i disagree on the Bale front - from what i have read on how Villa Boas lined Porto up in the 433 Bale would suit one of the 'wide' positions quite nicely (similar to how Hulk was played i guess)

This. Bale would get far more space out wide coming inside onto his stronger foot.

433 with the front 3 interchanging simples! bale can then play on the wings or move centrally.

Huge fan of this guy he was gutted after the game think hes got a huge future here

Huge fan of this guy he was gutted after the game think hes got a huge future here

Just doesn't have the consistency yet. Always looks lively, lots of potential, lets hope he fulfils it. Sadly we could have used a more experienced head tonight.

Think he showed great drive and determination tonight. You could tell he was motivated and up for this.

He played well today but he isnt a left sided player - I still dont know what his best position is but if its behind the main striker I just dont think he is good enough for that role. I dont know. Maybe we need a striker first

He played well today but he isnt a left sided player - I still dont know what his best position is but if its behind the main striker I just dont think he is good enough for that role. I dont know. Maybe we need a striker first

you think?

Simple, when Bales back, play him left, Siggy central. Both in there best positions, both will flourish even more.

footballs a team game mate, we need to play a formation that allows every player to thrive. not everything's about bale.. i'd prefer him on the left. especially with the sig in the hole.

Back