• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

* Official Pre-Season Games Thread *

London-born Jake Livermore signed for Tottenham as a 16-year-old in 2006, turning down Arsenal to do so and fulfilling a dream he shared with just about every member of his Spurs-mad family.

He'd need patience to realize it. In the years that followed, Livermore was loaned out to MK Dons, Crewe, Derby County, Peterborough, Ipswich and Leeds United. Finally, last season, Harry Redknapp deemed him ready. The 22-year-old Livermore made 38 appearances in all competitions for Spurs and was hailed by his manager as a future England international.

When I caught up with Jake on the phone—during Spurs' preseason tour of the U.S.—all thoughts were on the new campaign. Redknapp has been replaced by Andre Villas-Boas and Spurs have already made some notable moves in the transfer market. Exciting times could be ahead.

WILL TIDEY: Hi Jake, thanks for talking to us today. Let's start by reflecting on what was a breakthrough year for you last season. It must have felt great to finally get your first-team chance and prove yourself at the club you love?

JAKE LIVERMORE: Growing up in the area and supporting Spurs made it great for me. I've always been a Tottenham fan. It would have been easy to sign for another club to play more games, but you've got to stay strong. You've got to make your own destiny.

WT: Harry Redknapp was a big supporter of yours last season. With him gone and Andre Villas-Boas now in charge, do you feel you need to prove yourself all over again?

JL: Yes, of course. But that's football, that's life. The main thing is keeping to the same principles and working hard. It's a fresh slate at Spurs and I think that's a good thing. We're making a brand new start.

WT: What's been your experience of Villas-Boas so far? Has he made any big changes from the Redknapp regime in terms of preseason preparation? Do you feel a different mood in the camp with a younger manager in charge?

JL: Having been on loan a few times, I've worked under lots of different managers and experienced different approaches. Villas-Boas is very organized and very structured in the way he does things. It's great for me personally, as a young player still learning the game.

WT: Villas-Boas played you alongside new signing Gylfi Sigurdsson in the friendly against LA Galaxy. What are your thoughts on him as a player, and whether you two could potentially form a strong partnership this season?

JL: We had an eye on him last season and he was doing really well at Swansea. Since coming here, we've seen his first touch and awareness are second to none. It's great to play alongside him. There's also the signing of Jan Vertonghen, who's another great player we've brought in for the new season.

WT: In terms of ambition, how far can Spurs go this season? Is it too far to suggest you can be Premier League title contenders? What would represent a successful campaign in your mind?

JL: It's difficult to say. Last season, we got off to a great start and the press hyped us as title contenders. This year, we're going to take every competition seriously and hopefully win one of them—be it the FA Cup, Europa League, Carling Cup or Premier League.

WT: Let's talk about your own game. Which areas were you pleased with last season and which do you still think need to show improvement?

JL: I think there comes a time when you need to have an identity, so maybe I need to choose between being somebody who sits in front of the back four or somebody who pushes forward. I had a lot of fun playing in the No. 8 role in the Europa League and getting into advanced positions. That said, I'm happy playing either role.

WT: Should the fans expect a vastly different approach from Spurs under Villas-Boas than we saw with Redknapp? Do you expect your role to change much?

JL: We're working on lots of different combinations. The most important thing right now is reaching full fitness. Once we get back to England, we'll start working on tactics and how we'll set up next season.

WT: Obvious one I know, but who would you say is the toughest opponent you came up against in the Premier League last season and why?

JL: Playing against Steven Gerrard. His movement was brilliant. Wayne Rooney is another one—he finds those pockets between the defense and midfield and is really difficult to stop.

WT: Finally, what of your England ambitions? Do you think it's possible you could factor in Roy Hodgson's plans for World Cup qualifying? Have you allowed yourself to dream of playing in the 2014 World cup in Brazil?

JL: Everyone's got a dream. But the most important thing for me is continuing to play well for Tottenham. Whatever else happens is a bonus.

WT: Thanks for chatting today, Jake. We really appreciate your time and hope to speak again in the future. Good luck for the new season.

JL: Thanks, nice one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1273491-jake-livermore-exclusive-tottenham-midfielder-on-villas-boas-epl-title-hopes

Some Pics from NY

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2410zsj.jpg
    2410zsj.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 350lbex.jpg
    350lbex.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 2enbzhc.jpg
    2enbzhc.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 141o30x.jpg
    141o30x.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2gx3bxi.jpg
    2gx3bxi.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The ****erel Crows ‏@****erelCrows

Jan Vertonghen & Gylfi Sig both lovely guys. Both seemed genuinely thrilled to be here and very excited about the coming season.

Now at a Q&A with Steffen Freund and Tony Parks. Freund reeling off his coaching experience. "The academy is now at a world class standard".

Parksy reliving his famous penalty saves against Anderlecht in UEFA Cup Final."My Mum should have taken a better penalty than the second one!"

Parks on keepers: "Carlo quick with feet, Gomes v athletic, Brad steady Eddie. Good mix. Decent prospects coming through in Archer & Miles".

Q from floor re: strikers. Freund mentioning Coulibaly for the third time in a few mins. Seems to rate him. "We need a new striker though".

Tony Parks - "Gareth Bale wants to lose the no 3 shirt. Doesn't want no. 9 it was just the only number free on tour. All will be revealed"

Parks: "We're always looking to improve. Brad 41, Carlo 39. Hugo Lloris is a contender. Watched him since 16. I like him. Has the talent".

Parks "Coaches have put extra effort into set plays pre season". Freund bigging up Sig "Fantastic ability, you'll be suprised by his talent"

"2 seasons in a row we blew out at end, why?" TP:"Heavy schedule, didn't rotate 2 yrs ago. Last year HR court & Eng rumours were factor imo"

Parks giving off feeling AVB is going to give Europa a real go this season: "He's won it before. Players has been told it's very important".

"How involved is Joe Lewis?" TP - "Ive never met him. He owns club & let's Daniel run it.". SF jokes "Who the f*** is Joe Lewis" - laughter!

Q&A over. Honest answers from Freund & Parks. Seem to be singing from same hymnsheet. Hi to all new followers, hope you've enjoyed updates.

AVB is spot on, imv

Bale concerns played down

Welshman back in light training; Villas-Boas wants apology

Last Updated: July 31, 2012 8:44am

Bale was left on crutches following a challenge by the Liverpool midfielder in a pre-season friendly at the weekend and it was feared he could miss the start of the Premier League campaign.

However, it has now been confirmed that he has not suffered a serious problem, with the Welshman even able to do a little light jogging before Tuesday night's clash in New York.

"Hopefully we will try to get some minutes into him," said Villas-Boas.

"Obviously we had intended that Gareth had some workload spread during this American tour, and that was cut short the other day.

"Hopefully if everything is okay he will be in condition to play."

Strong feelings

Bale hit out at Adam after Tottenham's 0-0 draw with Liverpool, labelling the Scotland international a 'coward' and saying he had received no apology.

Villas-Boas says Bale's comments were made in the heat of the moment and he would like to move on from the issue, although he accepts that it would be good if Adam did say sorry.

"It's Gareth speaking and he felt a bit strongly after the match, bearing in mind that the player didn't go to him to apologise for what was considered maybe a difficult and nasty challenge," explained Villas-Boas.

"In my opinion the matter is dealt with. It would be extremely human for Charlie to come out with an apology but you can't force people to say anything and we just have to wait and see."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7952120/Bale-concerns-played-down

Interesting that Livermore says they will do more with tactics once they get back to England.

It does seem like we have been playing a very high line in the games so far so we are obviously doing a little bit, but I think we can take heart that the games are really just about fitness over here and the more indepth work will begin once they are back.

Cheers to Raziel & NYSpur for the reports from the ground. Interesting stuff and it's appreciated.

I like what Freund and Parks were saying as well, especially Freund re: Coulibaly.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread a few weeks ago;

If he is good enough. He is old enough.

attachment.php

who is the chap right next to AVB? he seems to be around AVB all the time

Interesting that Livermore says they will do more with tactics once they get back to England.

It does seem like we have been playing a very high line in the games so far so we are obviously doing a little bit, but I think we can take heart that the games are really just about fitness over here and the more indepth work will begin once they are back.

I was going to say that, if you ignore that AVB likes a high line, paying in such a way pre-season ensures that our defence is running as much as possible and getting their match fitness up.

One thing I didn't mention yesterday was congatulating Brad on how professional he was in the TV studio when Chelsea won the Champions League. For those that don't know, the presenter asked him how he felt now that Spurs had lost oits place. Brad dead batted it altho it was clear he was gutted. He. Rolled his eyes and said "what could I say" and shrugged his shoulders yesterday. Definitely a wise old head in the dressing room.

attachment.php

who is the chap right next to AVB? he seems to be around AVB all the time

Don't know who he was, suspect minor admin role, as what he was doing was helping everyone who had a shirt to sign, pull it tight, so AVB/Players could sign quickly and easily.

Don't know who he was, suspect minor admin role, as what he was doing was helping everyone who had a shirt to sign, pull it tight, so AVB/Players could sign quickly and easily.

yeah, thats sounds about right, and like i said earlier he helps out around the media side too, he was in videos and pics from AVB's first official press briefing at the new training ground, following AVB wherever he went

Back