• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

Not sure I agree, getting in the German U21 captain, barely playing him and then when we do putting him all across the midfield making us look clueless because we don't know how to use him isn't likely to impress many up and coming young players.

That's not what I said but if there is criticism for the handling of Holtby then it lays mainly with the previous manager.

If Holtby does not feature in Sherwood's plans, it would be right to sell him. We would make a tidy profit on a fringe player which we could reinvest in the squad.

I really think it would be utter madness to sell Holtby, or any of our seven summer signings, at this stage of the season.

By all means look for another left back and striker to boost the squad - we have the spare cash for this from our player trading over the last two seasons.

I really think it would be utter madness to sell Holtby, or any of our seven summer signings, at this stage of the season.

By all means look for another left back and striker to boost the squad - we have the spare cash for this from our player trading over the last two seasons.

Totally agree all the talk through various threads about letting a few new boys go is madness. And if it is Sherwood surely levy/Baldini need to say no !! I think he will be gone by the summer and a new manager in so can't be selling prospects now.

Totally agree all the talk through various threads about letting a few new boys go is madness. And if it is Sherwood surely levy/Baldini need to say no !! I think he will be gone by the summer and a new manager in so can't be selling prospects now.

I think we can trust Levy to be smart enough to understand this very basic concept.

So if Holtby is sold I think it's likely that either Levy sees Sherwood as here for the longer term or the decision to sell has been made by others than Sherwood.

I think we can trust Levy to be smart enough to understand this very basic concept.

So if Holtby is sold I think it's likely that either Levy sees Sherwood as here for the longer term or the decision to sell has been made by others than Sherwood.

Absolutely

Still worried about letting young prospects leave the club without giving them a fair crack of the whip but suppose time will tell

Still worried about letting young prospects leave the club without giving them a fair crack of the whip but suppose time will tell

How many games is a fair crack of the whip and we should continue to do that if the manager does not fancy the player?

How many games is a fair crack of the whip and we should continue to do that if the manager does not fancy the player?
To be fair he's never had a solid run of games the odd start sub appearances here and there. I'm not saying he's amazing set the place on fire but he's still a young prospect that could become a big talent.

To be fair he's never had a solid run of games the odd start sub appearances here and there. I'm not saying he's amazing set the place on fire but he's still a young prospect that could become a big talent.

I agree that he could develop into a decent player.

I don't really get it when people talk about players getting a fair crack of the whip. How many games are managers meant to give a player? Should they select them over better options?

Plus 'better options' is so subjective. What is 'better' on a consistent basis and as scored by all critics?

We all could pick starting line-ups and very few of the teams would have exactly the same players, in exactly the same positions, and yet we would all be claiming that we were picking the best team.

A further factor to take in to account is the combination of opposition, competition, form and fitness levels. Those factors, when positively applied to a player, would see that player potentially being considered a better player than another who may often have been superior to him.

Plus 'better options' is so subjective. What is 'better' on a consistent basis and as scored by all critics?

We all could pick starting line-ups and very few of the teams would have exactly the same players, in exactly the same positions, and yet we would all be claiming that we were picking the best team.

A further factor to take in to account is the combination of opposition, competition, form and fitness levels. Those factors, when positively applied to a player, would see that player potentially being considered a better player than another who may often have been superior to him.

The only opinion that matters is that of the manager.

The three players keeping Holtby out of the team at the moment are Eriksen, Dembele and Bentaleb; is anyone arguing that he should currently be starting ahead of any of these players?

I know my post count doesn't show it but I've been on GG since 2004 I think. So I remember the Arshavin saga and everything since but it's time someone asked. GB you talk like you have inside information or if in you're in the room yourself. I have no idea how you can possibly formulate someone's thoughts or feelings from Twitter, forums and bull**** news stories. Explain?

its just banter, relax... this is the interweb and you are not talking to real people but personas of real people.

it can't be the managers decision only - more questions should be directed at baldini for first overloading us in the central areas (and linked to that why no LB backup and young keeper).

it can't be the managers decision only - more questions should be directed at baldini for first overloading us in the central areas (and linked to that why no LB backup and young keeper).

Fryers was our lb back up. Just someone played a host of players out of position rather than give a young player his chance.

I have to admit, while Holtby hasn't been consistent I *have* seen flashes of brilliance and plenty of potential. I think he has the ability to be a very good player indeed and letting him go would be a mistake. But that's just my view and if you believe the Irish papers this morning, it's not shared by the club. One article suggests it's a done deal and he'll be off early next week. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with some of the rumours we're hearing... there have been stories about Capoue, Soldado, Lamela and Holtby all leaving. Obviously they won't all be out the door, but that's almost half of the players we've signing over the past year... there's not a chance in hell we'll ever be title challengers until we get a relatively settled side and put some medium-long term faith in a manager.

The only opinion that matters is that of the manager.

The three players keeping Holtby out of the team at the moment are Eriksen, Dembele and Bentaleb; is anyone arguing that he should currently be starting ahead of any of these players?

I prefer Holtby to Dembele but I realise that my opinion is far from Universal. I've always rated Holtby's passing and movement, whilst he can score as many, if not more, as Dembele.

But then everyone knows that I'm not a big fan of Dembele.

I prefer Holtby to Dembele but I realise that my opinion is far from Universal. I've always rated Holtby's passing and movement, whilst he can score as many, if not more, as Dembele.

But then everyone knows that I'm not a big fan of Dembele.

Very different players in my eyes that fit different midfield roles. Dembele has his faults but the guy can retain possession and can carry the ball forward at a rate of knots, Holtby on the other hand has an eye for goal and a pass but still has a lot to learn in his positioning which has not been helped by him playing all over the midfield. Played in the right system both could be better than we've seen, but I'm not sure that either fit a traditional 4-4-2 even in if it incorporates a diamond.

If Schalke want Holtby back they they should chuck in Draxler and we'll call it evens. ;)

Back