• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Friedel

Friedel was another signing the vast majority were dissapointed with in the summer.

I was disappointed with it for the same reason I am now, it was always going to leave one keeper on high wages scratching his arse, and we still haven't really addressed that situation and there's obviously also the age issue, with Friedal and Cudicini but hopefully we'll sort that out soon enough.

In terms of his performances he hasn't really surprised me, a solid keeper that has a clear calming influence on the team and you rarely notice him, exactly what we needed.

I don't see the need to get a GK that will be first choice for the next 10 years. If Brad comes in and does as well as he has so far for two seasons it's a great deal. Players move around a lot more now than they did 20 years ago. We should look for someone to come in as a longish term 2nd choice, similar to what Cudicini is today. Reliable when called upon, but doesn't expect to play all the time.

I've never understood the clamour for young goalkeepers. I'd happily have us never buy a keeper under 32, top goalkeepers at that age still have 8 years in them if they choose.

Brad Friedel: 300 Consecutive Premier League Appearances

8646.jpg

Tomorrow will mark Brad Friedel's 300th consecutive Premier League appearance when he keeps goal for Spurs at Queens Park Rangers.

He has been ever-present since the start of the 2004-05 season, when he was with Blackburn Rovers.

His 300 consecutive Premier League appearances have been for...

152: Blackburn Rovers (2004-05 to 2007-08 )

114: Aston Villa (2008-09 to 2010-11)

34: Tottenham Hotspur (2011-12, including QPR away on 21st April 2012).

This is a truly amazing record - almost eight seasons without missing a single Premier League game - and one which is unlikely to be broken.

Can't say I am really impressed with his form for us. He doesn't make any silly errors like Robinson or Gomes but he doesn't make too many great saves as well. I think his reflexes is slow due to his age.

he's been good for us - really solid with few goals that i can think of that were directly his fault.

i was / am a huge Gomes fan, i just liked the bloke, but Friedel has been an upgrade and long may he continue - i'm sure we can get another year out of him as he keeps himself fit and sharp.

Friedel's a solid, dependable keeper and a good communicator, something I think we needed at the start of the season to help settle the defence down. But he does have his flaws, he struggles to command his box from corners or crosses and tends to stick to his goal line over sweeping up, and his distribution from kicking is not much better than Gomes.

Back on topic 300 consecutive PL appearances is some milestone, well done Mr Friedel.

Can't say I am really impressed with his form for us. He doesn't make any silly errors like Robinson or Gomes but he doesn't make too many great saves as well. I think his reflexes is slow due to his age.

There's no point making three great saves if your silly errors meaning that you lose the game. The difference between Gomes and Friedel in a nutshell.

Friedel has been an excellent signing for us, given us stability and done the simple things very well. He must be a pleasure to play in front of. I think back to the summer when half of this board were criticising his signing and nearly all of the doubters have been silenced. Good work Brad.

Friedel's a solid, dependable keeper and a good communicator, something I think we needed at the start of the season to help settle the defence down. But he does have his flaws, he struggles to command his box from corners or crosses and tends to stick to his goal line over sweeping up, and his distribution from kicking is not much better than Gomes.

Back on topic 300 consecutive PL appearances is some milestone, well done Mr Friedel.

do you expect a keeper to pick out a team mate from a drop kick out of the box or a punt from a passback with Huddlestone like accuracy then?

a slightly ambitious level of expectancy.

struggles?

Friedel has great positional sense and tends to make saves look relatively simple by not having to dive too far to make them. Just because he doesn't have to make Hollywood, last ditch saves that keepers without the same gift have to, does not make him a poor keeper.

Friedel has great positional sense and tends to make saves look relatively simple by not having to dive too far to make them. Just because he doesn't have to make Hollywood, last ditch saves that keepers without the same gift have to, does not make him a poor keeper.

Similar to the difference (in their primes) between Ledley and Terry. Terry would get all the 'heart on his sleeve' plaudits for diving on his head every 5 minutes, whereas Ledley simply didn't need to make last ditch challenges because he'd have intercepted it long before.

The biggest difference between Friedel and Gomes is the confidence he gives the defenders in front of him. You could tell they never trusted Gomes. I think he's been our 2nd best signing this season behind Parker.

The biggest difference between Friedel and Gomes is the confidence he gives the defenders in front of him. You could tell they never trusted Gomes. I think he's been our 2nd best signing this season behind Parker.
Which also makes him our worse signing.

IMO, Friedel is being over hyped. I don't think he gives much confidence to the team as our defence have been shyte all season. The only thing he does well is he doesn't make any silly errors. Other than that, he is too slow to react in crucial situations. I think Gomes would have saved that freekick by Tarrabat.

Lets rewind a year. We're well in the race for 4th all season until we die on our arse around Feb-March time and barely pick up another win for the rest of the season. Harry and the fans proclaim it's all Gomes' fault, we need a new keeper, he cost us Champions League football. We also need more character and winning mentality, someone who will fight for every ball and take the team by the scruff of the neck and see us through games. Last but not least we need a top striker, we create 3764 chances per game but our useless strikers can't hit a barn door.

So we sign Friedel, Parker and Adebayor. Our prayers have been answered, there's no stopping us now.

Fast forward a year, oh look, exactly the same situation but even more of a bottle job than the previous year, lets see who we can spacegoat this time.

Back