• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I’m with you on Daredevil, really enjoyed it. Although I’d argue 13 episodes per season was perhaps 3-5 too many as they start to lag around the middle of the season. Hope the Disney + series will be good, I’d imagine they will make somewhere between 6-9 episodes.

Mostly agree about Netflix, most of their films are pretty pants. I wish they would make less content and focus on quality rather than quantity like Apple, HBO and Disney +. But it seems like their business model is let’s make as much content as possible and make 10 things people kind of like rather than 2 things people really like.

Don't get why streaming services have a set episode length or number of episodes. There's no need. Treat it like a book. Tell the story you want, chapters can be different length, sequels can be longer and shorter if needed.

I’m with you on Daredevil, really enjoyed it. Although I’d argue 13 episodes per season was perhaps 3-5 too many as they start to lag around the middle of the season. Hope the Disney + series will be good, I’d imagine they will make somewhere between 6-9 episodes.

Mostly agree about Netflix, most of their films are pretty pants. I wish they would make less content and focus on quality rather than quantity like Apple, HBO and Disney +. But it seems like their business model is let’s make as much content as possible and make 10 things people kind of like rather than 2 things people really like.

I'm a little worried Disney will make Daredevil too family friendly. I'm going to watch She Hulk just to see what happens with the character there as soon as there's a few more episodes out. Can't deal with one episode per week.

Definitely agree with number of episodes issue. You end up repeating the same plot points and fights as nobody can be the winner until the last episode.

Confirmed as 18 episodes.

Does anyone on here attend the BFI Film Festival in London when it rolls round?

We have been going the last few years and it's good fun.

Pre sale has just closed for this years events - got tickets for the Aronofsky movie The Whale, with Brenden Fraser, The Banshees of Inisherin, directed by Martin McDonagh starring Colin Firth & Brendan Gleeson (director and 2 leads from In Bruges iirc) and then a Detroit Techno documentary called GHod Said Give 'em Drum Machines which is supposed to be fantastic.

Last edited:

Pre sale has just closed for this years events - got tickets for the Aronofsky movie The Whale, with Brenden Fraser, The Banshees of Inisherin, directed by Martin McDonagh starring Colin Firth & Brendan Gleeson (director and 2 leads from In Bruges iirc) and then a Detroit Techno documentary called GHod Said Give 'em Drum Machines which is supposed to be fantastic.

Never been to the festival but I am a past member, will renew now its post Covid. I primarily went to old screenings of things like Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Untouchables etc, loved seeing those on the big screen. Last film I saw there was the Lighthouse which has to be one of the more underappreciated films of the last 10 years

An excellent selection it would appear.My Dad used to take me in the late 70s/early 80s. If I'm in town I always try to go. Great festival, one of the best.

Never been to the festival but I am a past member, will renew now its post Covid. I primarily went to old screenings of things like Apocalypse Now, Jaws, Untouchables etc, loved seeing those on the big screen. Last film I saw there was the Lighthouse which has to be one of the more underappreciated films of the last 10 years

Agree with all you said, especially The Lighthouse, just brilliant.

So...Moonage Daydream...

it is not a Bowie doc, it is Brett Morgen's view of what/who Bowie was. He gets lost in the 'art' of his 'vehicle' (the dreamy segue dreamscapes and mono-Bowie voice, an adventurous take for sure) and I have to say, 20-25 mins less would've made this more. Excellent archive footage, but Morgen's Bowie ends up being the sort of caricature that Bowie himself would've giggled about i.e. I'm not the messiah I'm a very naughty boy!

The man remains peerless.

Finally got around to seeing Bullet Train, maybe a tad too long but certainly delivers a good laugh along the way and a decent amount of gore. One for a moment of escape, if you have a couple of hours to kill.

So...Moonage Daydream...

it is not a Bowie doc, it is Brett Morgen's view of what/who Bowie was. He gets lost in the 'art' of his 'vehicle' (the dreamy segue dreamscapes and mono-Bowie voice, an adventurous take for sure) and I have to say, 20-25 mins less would've made this more. Excellent archive footage, but Morgen's Bowie ends up being the sort of caricature that Bowie himself would've giggled about i.e. I'm not the messiah I'm a very naughty boy!

The man remains peerless.

One of the many things I love about bowie was his attitude that you interpret the songs in the way that works for you, take from them what you need.
He means so many different things to so many different people that a movie seems like a worthy but ultimately futile project.

I still keep thinking he is going to pop up somewhere in another persona and the last five years have just been an experimental art piece.

The bit in the interrogation where Russell Crowe breaks his chair. Best example of righteousness along with Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood.

Along with Hackman in Missip Burning

LA Confidential is film noir heaven, one of my favourites

Spent weekend watching the Godfathers again, just completed number two which is good but nowhere near the first in terms of overall quality. Onto the much maligned 3rd next which I have enjoyed previously

Back