• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Although I've warmed to him a lot more over the past 18 months he is the glory glory most overhyped player.

I'd say that was the Hudd to be honest. Or the Bong perhaps :)

Defoe? Walker?

I love Assou-Ekotto, he is one of the best left backs in the league (maybe he isn't amazing, but there are few quality full-backs in the league), he is great in interviews, has amazing hair and is an entertainer with his passing and the famous dragback that 99% of opponents seem to fall for even though everyone knows what he's going to do.

Even if Bale and Modric fudge off eventually, hopefully this guy will stay and take his Atouba+++ game into the Europa League...

Benoit is overhyped. But I like him, I admit.
He seems like a nice bloke. Now, you can say that I'm stupid for liking him only for this reason - but honestly, guys, when you go to see football matches, you want players that you can identify with, don't you? And while I'm not a season ticket holder (living in Israel, so kind of a problem for me) - I do appreciate players like Benoit. Of course, you can argue that we won't win anything with a team of nice blokes - so I don't want Spurs to continue playing him just because he's a nice bloke. However, I do wish him to succeed more than I wish we sign a better player for his position. Because as a fan I like to see players that I can identify with. That's all.

If this thread was all about Benoit's ability - I would agree it's ridiculous. But because people here also applaud his personality and character - you know what? People do need those rare footballers that they can truly admire on a personal level. If Benoit is one of those - than it's great.

Between you and me - in ten years time, if Spurs finished 3rd or 4th, we wouldn't remember - we would remember certain players, however, and not necessarily those who are more talented and play better. So if we want to win the title - yes, we should get a better defender. But for now - he is okay. We can get better than him, but again, take in mind that as a fan you would not only remember the best players, but the characters you liked. We should find the balance, I think, and Benoit deserves a place in the team.

I like the fact that Spurs always feel the need to adopt a Cult Hero... from as far back as Ralphy Coates, then the likes of Atouba, Mitchell Thomas, Erik the V, Jose Dominguez, they've all had a special place in our hearts, for various reasons (many being a perceived lack of ability initially, but making up for it with plenty of heart and/or character!)

Yet Benny's achieved cult status by playing hard to get; as well as slapping that fan in the West Stand, add it to; "Football ze ieez only ze job no, yes?" and you get the impression that a football pitch is the last place he'd rather be...

Steffan Freund was a totally different animal, as you would imagine that if he didn't play football, he'd be in the crowd SUPPORTING us... oh, hang on;

mefreund2.jpg

I like Benny simply for being an honest, decent person, regardless of the fact he plays for us... you'd imagine him to be a likeable guy, even if his chosen profession was Traffic Warden or Estate Agent!!

We won't be able to sign anyone better than Ekotto for reasonable money. Especially one with Premier League experience.

Enrique started well, but his form has dipped recently. At the start of the season he was probably the best left back in the league, I feel that BAE outperformed Baines, Evra and Cole (although Cole didn't have protection) over the first half of the season. Cole has been much better in the second half, but I still remember mocking my dad for putting him in his dream team as captain. :p

I think we should probably see what the new manager is like before trying to predict what'll happen with BAE. He's better than Walker at defending and is good going forward, so it's hard to be too harsh with him. If Brendon Rogers comes in, he likes playing out from the back (Harry prefers defenders to clear the ball when under pressure), so maybe BAE would be the ideal left back for Rogers and he'd tell him to always try to pass (which BAE would love) and to not attempt his long pass to Bale or Ade up the left side as often (although I'm sure BAE sees that as a Hollywood pass rather than a clearance, Bale should win headers against most right backs, so there's logic even if it doesn't work as BAE often intends - which is when the ball gets Bale in behind, or at least beyond his full back, usually after a race which Bale should win.)

If we get a manager that doesn't play out from the back when under pressure, then that manager might want to replace BAE, but BAE is an amazing left back that outshines so many other full backs as a vital cog in the build up of possession teams. Harry also likes Bale to stay forward rather than tracking back, so BAE has less cover than Walker has when Lennon plays. The effect and style of the next manager will probably decide what happens with BAE.

I feel that Naughton coming back as cover for both RB and LB will probably mean replacing BAE is a low priority. When you think about the potential signings we'll need to make in the summer, we need so many other positions covered before considering replacing one of the best LBs in the league.

Everyone makes mistakes some more than others. BAE makes glaringly obvious ones IMO but none more so than anyone else.

Everyone makes mistakes some more than others. BAE makes glaringly obvious ones IMO but none more so than anyone else.

This - and I think his keeping possession and calmly knocking the ball to Bale or Modric to start attacks (or more likely, periods of passing the ball around outside the oppositions 18 yard box) is worth the odd mix up. If he hoofed it every time he was closed down, we would be nowhere near as good at dominating possession, and concede a lot more imo.

Back