• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

You write so incredibly well, and I think your analysis of a lot of what happened in the club post 2019 is spot on.

What I will say though, is that I think we do seem to be operating like the kind of the club I hoped we would post stadium build, and that some of the people ‘pro’ Levy, eg Billy, argued over the summer. Signings like Emerson, Romero, Reguillon, Bergwijn, these are young, but very high quality signings. So I think we are working for a plan that really works, and spending smartly. I also think we are able to pick off some weaker financial positions in other clubs because we are run sustainably, and that is to Levy’s credit.

I think Romero, for example is a definite step up in signing from a Rodon. As is Emerson versus say, Foyth (when he joined). Gil versus Clarke? I think all over the park we are making the best signings I can realistically hope is to make under ENIC, which is some of the very best prospects in their position in Europe. If we do that, we’ll be there or there abouts at the top of the league at some point. And if we do that, I will say I don’t think Levy is being cheap, and is actually playing well with the new financial position we have post stadium.

and this is coming from me, someone that had very, very serious doubts about Levy 2 months ago.

As always, thanks mate - you're very kind, and it's appreciated. :)

I agree with you in terms of the potential of our signings this summer - broadly, Romero and Emerson are (at least in my view) statement signings given our current level, and excellent bits of business. Gil and Sarr fit the sort of profiles we've always looked for - young, hungry players with potential who are a bit below the radar - but Emerson and Romero were already established among Europe's best young players when we made our move.

But, the thing is, we've been here before. If you look back to our days between roughly 2005 and 2008, we made a habit of signing high-potential, highly-sought young players for high fees - it was almost our specialty. In successive summers, we signed Berbatov, Bale, Bent and Modric, all for high fees compared to our typical outlays back then. The common thread across our operating models then and now is the presence of a Director of Football who aggressively goes out and targets these players, and persuades Levy to part with our cash to make those deals happen. Comolli then, Paratici now.

I think the litmus test for whether Levy's actually changed is yet to come. He's never had issues historically paying for young talent - but when it comes to established players in their prime that the manager specifically asks for, that's when he has historically, continually failed to back his men, from endless examples under Poch to Skriniar under Mourinho.

We don't know how far Nuno wanted established players this summer - how much he wanted Adama, or Neves, or other players. But when he asks for an established player, and Paratici then sets up a big-money deal and goes to Levy to ask for his approval...that's when we'll truly know if he's changed.

One thing is for certain - that stadium that we have built was meant for far, far grander stages than the UEFA Conference League. It, and the training ground, were both built with the understanding that they would propel us into the elite - and that stadium belongs, and almost *demands*, to be used for the grandest of games, the most heart-pounding moments and the most awe-inspiring nights.

There's honestly a sense of silent, demanding expectation that surrounds the place - of untapped, barely contained potential thrumming behind the sleek concourses, the crystalline executive boxes, the gigantic single stand disappearing out of sight into the sky, and the technological marvel of a roof, which looks like a piece of engineering more at home in a space station than anywhere on this surly abode. I've done my share of crap grounds in Europe and North America - but when I was there, I understood what folks meant when they said it was like an alien mothership had landed in the middle of Haringey. I really did.

We have a gigantic stadium for the elite. We have the training ground for the elite. We have a DoF who has done his time at an elite club.

The manager and the players are a mixed bag, and are as yet unknown.

But none of it will last without ownership, and leadership, who want us to be elite - not elite on the cheap, not elite with zero net spend, not elite if affordable. Elite, with no excuses.

For better or worse ,Daniel Levy and his boss are our owners for as long as they want to be. We need him to learn what it means to be the chairman of one of the richest clubs in the world, in the richest league in the world...and aiming to be on the grandest stages in the world.

That's what Poch wanted for us. Time will tell, imo, if Levy actually knows how to operate at that level. If he doesn't, this is where we will stay.

So, building an absolutely, unquestionably elite stadium and training facility wasn't enough for you, eh?

Levy's kept Spurs entire financial situation nicely balanced in the most trying of times, while keeping Spurs competitive and within the group of English clubs qualifying for Europe. No one has said he's been perfect. No one has said he has all the answers.

But abso-fcukin'-lutely, mon cher fonctionnaire, no one writes prescriptive remedies for clubs in trying circumstances. It's up to each club's management to sort things out.

There are very few clubs run as honourably and capably as Spurs who have largely sorted out such trying circumstances and kept the club's financial heads above water. Just look at the long-time quagmire Arsenal are embedded in as contrast.

Levy is building the club on his timetable. Not on anyone else's. And certainly not on yours.

A great man in the Canadian media(TSN nowadays) once listened to me bitch and moan about my role in his publication - in a manner not unlike how you whibble about how Spurs have denied your entitled expectations - and he told me bluntly: "When we can afford to be great, we'll be great. Until then, we'll just have to be good".

And, to be fair to Nuno, he's a bit of a middle ground, all things considered, when compared to Poch. By all accounts, he's not the warmest guy in person - he's fairly blunt, and constantly thinking about the game to the point where he apparently looks distracted all the time. He's a bit more hands-off and professional in terms of how much he expects of the lads and how much he's there for them in comparison to how Poch used to be in his early years.

But, at the same time, he's honest, he's humble, and he cares about his lads. He's been cited as a father figure more than once, and I have no reason to disbelieve that. And, as mentioned, it seems to me he really understands the importance of having a relationship with the fans and the wider community at the clubs he manages - his origins as a poor kid from Sao Tome really seem to have grounded him that sense, and it's good to see.

Having gone from one extreme in Poch to the other extreme in the git that succeeded him, Nuno seems like a good middle ground to arrive at. And my hope is, that kind of slow evolution is what these lads need right now - more warmth and care than Mourinho had, but also a more professional relationship than was the case (naturally) under Poch.

good assessment.
i don't think that Nuno is good enough for us to win the cl - for that you need a coach with real experience balancing league and cup, egos and morale etc. but i am convinced that he is right for the club and the legacy players he inherited. his honesty, directness and most of all objectivity - by not being too friendly with the players - is the basis for the reset we need.

he knows JM well and I am sure they had a chat before nuno took the job. I already see a lot of continuity from where JM last left off. The advantage for Nuno is that JM has already brought the skeletons out of the closet. Perhaps it was too much too soon for the players but Nuno got them playing as JM wanted - total defence (home and away) while patiently waiting for the break. Still its too early to tell - we were top of the league up to halfway of the season and the players lost focus in the latter stages conceding many goals and unable to defend a lead.

Paratici has been a great help too as we're arguably getting more suitable players than before, who pose a real threat to the existing players.

Absolutely this. I've had a lot of time to look back at those glorious years these past couple of seasons, and the one thing that struck me more than anything else was how much it felt like we were learning how to do it all in real-time, together.

Not just Poch - the team, the club, the fans, *everyone*.

I don't know if anyone here's a fan of the magnificent Away Days videos that Dan Louw used to put up on Youtube between about the first time we got into the CL in 2010 and about the time we crashed out of the EL to Fiorentina in Poch's first season in 2014/2015. Covering the tenures of Harry, AVB and Sherwood. I used to absolutely love those videos - still go back to them from time to time, because they're almost time capsules of the Tottenham Hotspur that was, back then.

And if you watch those, one of the main themes that pops up again and again is how ephemeral it all was - you had to take your happiness, your schadenfreude and your laughs when you could, because at the end of the day, the disappointment inherent in being Spurs was always going to come up and smack you over the head. And back then, the disappointment was very real - of being a perpetual Europa League team (and occasionally worse), that never won anything and failed at the death.

When Poch arrived, that was the team we were - a Europa League side with aspirations of more, having tasted the heights, but constantly wary of the certainty of being let down at the death. And then, over five glorious years, literally everything changed. By 2016, we had gone from desperately wanting to squeak into the CL to being bitterly disappointed that the CL was all we could console ourselves with. By 2017, we were just disappointed at finishing 2nd, having blown everyone else away time and again in a phenomenal year. By 2018, we were disappointed that we could beat Real Madrid in the group stage of the CL but lose to Juventus. By 2019, it was that we hadn't won the CL.

In those short years, we went from dogbrick Europa League grounds to the pinnacle of the club game - and everyone had to learn how to behave at that rarefied atmosphere that we had *never* experienced. The players and the club had to grow from being pugnacious outsiders to being considered a scalp, one of the big boys with a giant stadium on the way. The fans had to learn how to conduct ourselves at a time when every year saw us do wonderful, brilliant things, breaking every mental barrier and taboo we had except (perhaps) the biggest of all.

And Poch had to learn - the formula that propelled us into those glory years, of being the hard-running, young, fit underdogs who all *believed* in the plan, in Poch, and in each other...that worked until we were at the top and needed to figure out how to play with arrogance, to beat teams without exerting ourselves, to demand excellence every day, to do things *expecting* to win.

You're right - it became clear to Poch that he needed to go from coach to manager, like Ferguson did. He needed to distance himself from the players, become less of a father figure and more of a leader, and to change the approach to be less intense, more tactical, more controlled. He tried, but at some point (between 2018 and 2019), I think he realized he couldn't do that with this group of players - they'd gone through the same learning journey he had, and that had created a relationship he couldn't just sever in a move to a more aloof model of management.

And it also became clear to him that the other man who needed to learn how to behave like a true winner...didn't. I refer, of course, to Daniel Levy. At just the time when we needed to start investing to become the club Poch had propelled us towards, Daniel Levy grew distracted by a bunch of different things, and then regressed into his basic form - a small-time, penny-pinching, habitually cautious man who let opportunity slip away from him.

It was an evolution both men needed, but only one man tried to implement. And he needed the other man to support him in rebuilding ourselves to a new operational model that befitted our status, with the new players to match - and that support never came.

The sad thing is, since then, that trend has continued. The one man, Poch, has continued to learn in his evolution from coach to manager - he joined PSG, and he now has a stable of massive superstars that means that he *cannot* be the coach he once was with us. Messi won't press like a young lad, Neymar won't chase people down to prove himself, Ramos won't let Poch lead the team if he doesn't agree with what's being said. So Poch *has* to be more aloof, more of a manager, trusting his players to figure out the details, solve in-game situations and maintain squad morale amongst themselves.

But Levy - has he learned how to conduct himself as befits a chairman of a 'big' club that belongs, or wants to belong, in the CL? I don't think he has, not yet. He has absolutely tried to strike out in random directions, like hiring Mourinho and now Paratici, who *have* operated regularly at that level. But it still feels random, and on the cheap - and of course, Mourinho ended up an unparalleled disaster. But I can't blame Levy for that - he tried, but it's more on him for just being limited in how much he's really learned about operating as a top club does.

And against that limitation, we won't grow to become the club Poch once dreamed we could be - not until Levy learns how to act at the rarefied level where the opportunity cost of not acting because you want to save 50 pence is far greater than when you're an upper mid-table EL hopeful. And the way to do that is basically the same thing Poch had to do with the players - step back. Go away, stop being hands on, let Paratici run the player acquisitions, and let him spend what we need to - judging him on our success or failure accordingly.

Fantastic post.
We/poch had what, three seasons of nearly but not quite, so he really had to try something different.
Something had to change, it probably meant a few steps back before the new methods kicked in but it was worth the risk.
And poch deserved the chance to at least try it.
Also agree about levy, he does not look like he revels in our success the way he should.
He built it, he should enjoy it more.

Still, let’s keep this on-track and moving forwards. Nuno knew from the get-go he was not the first choice, but I am pretty sure it did not worry him one bit.

So keeping it moving forward (the rehash stuff has been done to death)

I actually think Nuno not being first choice is not all bad

- He's grateful for the job, he knows he has to step up (some of the other candidates we had to "convince" them Spurs was good enough for them)
- We do better with lower expectations (another one of those things we need to break in time), Ronaldo at United, Chelsea's spend, the media constant ass licking of Pool & City, it's a low profile year for us now that Kane is staying.

Also agree about levy, he does not look like he revels in our success the way he should.
He built it, he should enjoy it more

Think about that statement for just a second

- Imagine you bought a club with a good fanbase and history (even if with a slight tendency for underperforming), on the downturn, and built yourself a plan to wake the sleeping giant.
- A couple of years into the gig, Leeds happens, 4 clubs establish themselves via the new PL & CL money and you are facing with a huge income deficit every year to your competitors
- Two money doping owners come in and make that fight even more unmanageable.
- You build a long term plan based on buying/incorporating youth players, you practically introduce the DoF model to UK, you build first a training center (that's been copied later by most big clubs), then you spend the better part of 12 years designing, getting approval and building the final piece, this world class stadium that will close the money gap and allow us to truly compete.
- You deal with delays, hiccups and squad challenges, and you finally open your crowning achievement
- You don't even get a season and a once in a hundred year pandemic strikers and fudges everyone financially and continues for the next 18 months, including a full season with no gate income, no NFL, no non-football events
- All through this, you are a generally unpopular figure with any success that ever happens being attributed to fluke or manager.

You think Levy should be enjoying something? I amazed he hasn't had a mental breakdown

Right, but this fact probably highlights the biggest issue of all; why give him the money only to sack him a few months later? It makes literally no sense, unless he was seduced by an amour he’d always dreamt of, an amour who promised him the sort of nights that only fantasies deliver…

One thing we will never know is how much Pochettino knew of Mourinho’s courting dances. It was obvious to me. I suspect it was obvious to many, because suddenly there he was, a frequent guest at the new Lane…I have to imagine that didn’t exactly contribute to a positive vibe around the place.

Still, let’s keep this on-track and moving forwards. Nuno knew from the get-go he was not the first choice, but I am pretty sure it did not worry him one bit.
I don’t get why either

People saying Nuno is a Jose disciple….
What are you basing that on? The fact he was a keeper for Jose I assume
Not his teams before Wolves that for sure
And don’t digest he came to Spurs for a week after he left Valencia to study a Pochs methods. I think it was 2015. That’s a coach looking at many ways to progress

And don’t digest he came to Spurs for a week after he left Valencia to study a Pochs methods. I think it was 2015. That’s a coach looking at many ways to progress

Lazy narrative

Portuguese (clearly all the same) + he was a keeper for Jose +his sides are generally pretty solid first = Jose MK2 playing anti-christ football

He has absolutely tried to strike out in random directions, like hiring Mourinho and now Paratici, who *have* operated regularly at that level. But it still feels random, and on the cheap

It may or may not feel random, but cheap it hasn't been. I think the valid criticism of DL, which I'm sure he knows better than anyone, is that he should have invested after the CL defeat, to take us to the next level or at least sustain us. Didn't happen, so DL has hired a DOF, and off we go again. DL has unfinished business just like we all do.

So, building an absolutely, unquestionably elite stadium and training facility wasn't enough for you, eh?

Levy's kept Spurs entire financial situation nicely balanced in the most trying of times, while keeping Spurs competitive and within the group of English clubs qualifying for Europe. No one has said he's been perfect. No one has said he has all the answers.

But abso-fcukin'-lutely, mon cher fonctionnaire, no one writes prescriptive remedies for clubs in trying circumstances. It's up to each club's management to sort things out.

There are very few clubs run as honourably and capably as Spurs who have largely sorted out such trying circumstances and kept the club's financial heads above water. Just look at the long-time quagmire Arsenal are embedded in as contrast.

Levy is building the club on his timetable. Not on anyone else's. And certainly not on yours.

A great man in the Canadian media(TSN nowadays) once listened to me bitch and moan about my role in his publication - in a manner not unlike how you whibble about how Spurs have denied your entitled expectations - and he told me bluntly: "When we can afford to be great, we'll be great. Until then, we'll just have to be good".

If I could like this more than once I would.
People like @DubaiSpur who I like as a poster when he is not talking about Levy. Have absolutely no idea what's going on at the club, yet build a narrative to suit their agenda.

I loved poch and think he deserved a year regardless of results (baring a relegation battle), I absolutely would not have sacked him when Levy did. But a lot of the criticism leveled at Levy under poch's tenure is completely unfounded. The infamous 18 months of no signings is down to poch not Levy (and I was told that by someone who knew Levy at that time).

Also Levy is getting the blame for NOT selling Ericksen and Toby... how does that work? When the manager was still very reliant on them and rejected replacements that turned out to be good (ie telemanns).

There is more, but I will end with this:

We have had 20 years of unprecedented growth on and off the pitch with Levy. The changing of our expectations is down to his success.

Yet some call him small time and penny pinching, that's incredibly insulting. I find it hard to believe that at least part of that is not an antisemitic thought processes.

If Nuno is a success and meets or betters poch's achievements will those people give Levy credit? Or will he be lucky again... like he was with Poch... and Harry ... and Jol?

If the investments in young players Gill, SARR and royal, pay off will he get praise... or will he be luck again, like Berbatov, Bale, Modric?

Last edited:
I think Nuno is gonna do more things here than a lot believe
I could dig back and see about 2 years ago people saying in here that they would live Nuno to take over if Poch went.
Nuno stock was low this summer but he is better suited for us than most we wanted IMO and he also came with some cracking coaches too which we will see more benefit of, over time

I think we exchanged a couple of posts highlighting Nuno a few years back with you sagely declared he would be Poch’s successor.

Dubai must be super successful if he thinks Levy is a failure. What matrix of success he is measuring Levy against? There will always be ebbs and flows. Poch had limitations. He was learning too. Fans want to isolate singular reasons for success or failure but what these discussions show is that many many small things contribute. I take heart that the direction of travel is undeniably forward; even if you have to take a step back now and again.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Think about that statement for just a second

- Imagine you bought a club with a good fanbase and history (even if with a slight tendency for underperforming), on the downturn, and built yourself a plan to wake the sleeping giant.
- A couple of years into the gig, Leeds happens, 4 clubs establish themselves via the new PL & CL money and you are facing with a huge income deficit every year to your competitors
- Two money doping owners come in and make that fight even more unmanageable.
- You build a long term plan based on buying/incorporating youth players, you practically introduce the DoF model to UK, you build first a training center (that's been copied later by most big clubs), then you spend the better part of 12 years designing, getting approval and building the final piece, this world class stadium that will close the money gap and allow us to truly compete.
- You deal with delays, hiccups and squad challenges, and you finally open your crowning achievement
- You don't even get a season and a once in a hundred year pandemic strikers and fudges everyone financially and continues for the next 18 months, including a full season with no gate income, no NFL, no non-football events
- All through this, you are a generally unpopular figure with any success that ever happens being attributed to fluke or manager.

You think Levy should be enjoying something? I amazed he hasn't had a mental breakdown

I was talking about at the time of the CL final and the seasons before.
He looked like a lost bit and deeply uncomfortable at the success. It came to soon imho. Don't get me wrong I'd rather that than he act like an entitled prick, but he had done most of the hard work (as you rightly pointed out) and should have been taking a wider view and soaking it in.
In my 40 odd years following spurs levy is the best thing to have happened to the club. He more than anyone deserves some slack when he fudges up, and imv the whole poch/jose thing was a fudge up.
But poch, levy and the players all carry some of the blame.

I think we exchanged a couple of posts highlighting Nuno a few years back with you sagely declared he would be Poch’s successor.

Dubai must be super successful if he thinks Levy is a failure. What matrix of success he is measuring Levy against? There will always be ebbs and flows. Poch had limitations. He was learning too. Fans want to isolate singular reasons for success or failure but what these discussions show is that many many small things contribute. I take heart that the direction of travel is undeniably forward; even if you have to take a step back now and again.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I wasn’t a fan TBH but you could see what he was doing with his team to get the best out of them
I think we had a few guys that did want him clearly though
I remember @Finney Is Back saying he would take him back then
But don’t forget after last season a lot of people changed their opinions of him. To me that was when he came to the front. Any manager trying to change a style of play, mid pandemic with at the time not a huge change of playing resource is brave. I like that.
For us to differentiate ourselves as a club we need to do something others can’t or won’t. I think the recent reinvigoration of youth can only be a good thing. I also think the fans are generally again behind a manager.
I’ve said it loads but Pochs greatest my achievement was uniting the club. That’s a rare, rare thing with a club of our scale

Not that extreme a description (disciple) but I think people do not want to admit that they have a lot in common in their football and coaching approach.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

People like @DubaiSpur who I like as a poster when he is not talking about Levy. Have absolutely no idea what's going on at the club, yet build a narrative to suit their agenda.

I loved poch and think he deserved a year regardless of results (baring a relegation battle), I absolutely would not have sacked him when Levy did. But a lot of the criticism leveled at Levy under poch's tenure is completely unfounded. The infamous 18 months of no signings is down to poch not Levy (and I was told that by someone who knew Levy at that time).

Also Levy is getting the blame for NOT selling Ericksen and Toby... how does that work? When the manager was still very reliant on them and rejected replacements that turned out to be good (ie telemanns).

We have had 20 years of unprecedented growth on and off the pitch with Levy. The changing of our expectations is down to his success.

Yet some call him small time and penny pinching, that's incredibly insulting. I find it hard to believe that at least part of that is not an antisemitic thought processes.

If Nuno is a success and meets or betters poch's achievements will those people give Levy credit? Or will he be lucky again... like he was with Poch... and Harry ... and Jol?

If the investments in young players Gill, SARR and royal, pay off will he get praise... or will he be luck again, like Berbatov, Bale, Modric?

Great post, like you i have a lot of time for @DubaiSpur and usually enjoy what he writes. Sadly when he gets ranting about Levy he spoils it. I know i joke about Levy kicking his dog but his rants about Levy are way over the top.

We are one of the biggest teams in the Prem and most of that is down to Levy, we all know he has made mistakes just like we all do. I would lay money that Dubai has done as well but his ranting about Levy is sad.imo

For a transfer to happen we need an offer
We know we didnt have any for Toby at a bargain fee
We don’t know what offers, if any we had for Eriksen
We do know clubs will offer much less than the club asks as we have seen this summer with Kane.
We also know players won’t just go to any club. Eriksen was widely know to what to go to a “bigger club” and had his heart set in one of the Spanish giants. The fact he ended up with one offer on the table in the end with Inter I still telling, if not stunning. A player of his quality should have had loads of offers

I wasn’t a fan TBH but you could see what he was doing with his team to get the best out of them
I think we had a few guys that did want him clearly though
I remember @Finney Is Back saying he would take him back then
But don’t forget after last season a lot of people changed their opinions of him. To me that was when he came to the front. Any manager trying to change a style of play, mid pandemic with at the time not a huge change of playing resource is brave. I like that.
For us to differentiate ourselves as a club we need to do something others can’t or won’t. I think the recent reinvigoration of youth can only be a good thing. I also think the fans are generally again behind a manager.
I’ve said it loads but Pochs greatest my achievement was uniting the club. That’s a rare, rare thing with a club of our scale

Maybe it was another promising manager. Can't remember!

Back