• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

We'll the papers didn't see the Moyes appointment happening so I'd take everything with a pinch of salt

I'm also at a loss as to who United will rebuild their team without champions league money (not the football alone)

Last season they made a paper profit of £120 odd million but had to pay out £100m on debt! Take away the £50m they get for champions league (excluding gate receipts) and they have a massive hole to fund the new arrivals

This is Unuted and there massive and make money but they need at least 6 players IMO who are better than what they have but with sell on value (that's how they have been working since the. Glazers came in)

Shaw makes sense but he will be £25M plus. But they need another 3 defenders plus a couple of creative players

If I'm looking at a project where I can have an impact and do it my way, our squad offers more immediate progress and less challenges or expectation. It fits the brief of the project that Van Gall has intimated he wants

Ultimately it will come down to United offering him £8m and us half that and that's fair enough, but I do think United now have massive financial problems to deal with because of their debt funding.

If not LvG, Rafa please. Although I did hear a while ago that we were looking at Antonio Conte of Juventus, who seems curiously under-rated and ignored by the big boys, if that United 'hit-list' Gutter Boy linked up there is to be believed. If we were, and if he's interested (both somewhat unlikely), then securing him should be our priority, above even Rafa and LvG. He's restored Juve's dominance in Serie A, and his team is famous for its work ethic, relentless pressing and lightning-fast attacking football. He seems perfect for the top job at either Barca or Madrid, to be honest, and it baffles me why he's not rated up there with Simeone, Ancelotti or LvG. Young too.

I agree that Conte seems really talented, however would he leave Juventus for us?

Also a lot of questions marks over him still (as with most managers we can attracts). How will he do outside Serie A? He's been in charge of the now (again) richest club in Italy and been successful on the back of a lot of good signings. How will he deal with being in a league with 4-5 teams with better finances? He seems to prefer a back 3, how would that translate to us(/another team) and another league? Or would he go for another formation?

For me at least I think LvG is in a league of his own of those we can hope to get, with Ancelotti around the same level although I don't think we can hope to get him. Pep and Klopp would be up there at LvG's level for a club like United could they attract them imo.

A fair step down from that bunch to Simeone who has only really succeeded at Atletico, no doubt they've been great, but that's just one club and his methodology there at least has been very specific. How would that translate to another league and another squad, particularly if we're talking about a squad with more high profile established stars like United's? Conte at a similar level for me.

I know Rafa would probably do fine, there's just something utterly unattractive about him to me. Although perhaps he should be the "least possible chance of a complete disaster" option now that I think about it. I think he would do at the very least reasonably well.

We'll the papers didn't see the Moyes appointment happening so I'd take everything with a pinch of salt

I'm also at a loss as to who United will rebuild their team without champions league money (not the football alone)

Last season they made a paper profit of £120 odd million but had to pay out £100m on debt! Take away the £50m they get for champions league (excluding gate receipts) and they have a massive hole to fund the new arrivals

This is Unuted and there massive and make money but they need at least 6 players IMO who are better than what they have but with sell on value (that's how they have been working since the. Glazers came in)

Shaw makes sense but he will be £25M plus. But they need another 3 defenders plus a couple of creative players

If I'm looking at a project where I can have an impact and do it my way, our squad offers more immediate progress and less challenges or expectation. It fits the brief of the project that Van Gall has intimated he wants

Ultimately it will come down to United offering him £8m and us half that and that's fair enough, but I do think United now have massive financial problems to deal with because of their debt funding.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/22/manchester-united-200m-david-moyes-sacking

I really don't think that's the takeaway from that piece GB, because the article pretty much rules out Pep and Klopp as realistic contenders.

The takeaway is that everything depends on Ancelotti. He's United's No. 1 choice, followed by LvG and Simeone.

I think Simeone - doesn't speak English, only 43, only 2 seasons at a big club - has precisely zero chance of landing the job there. None. He'd just be all wrong for all sorts of reasons.

So United's fate and ours really depends on Ancelotti. If he stays at RM, it's LvG to United and Sherwood to Spurs. If Ancelotti leaves RM, he goes to United and we get LvG.

I really don't think that's the takeaway from that piece GB, because the article pretty much rules out Pep and Klopp as realistic contenders.

The takeaway is that everything depends on Ancelotti. He's United's No. 1 choice, followed by LvG and Simeone.

I think Simeone - doesn't speak English, only 43, only 2 seasons at a big club - has precisely zero chance of landing the job there. None. He'd just be all wrong for all sorts of reasons.

So United's fate and ours really depends on Ancelotti. If he stays at RM, it's LvG to United and Sherwood to Spurs. If Ancelotti leaves RM, he goes to United and we get LvG.

What makes you so sure it's LvG or Sherwood for us?

I agree that Conte seems really talented, however would he leave Juventus for us?

Also a lot of questions marks over him still (as with most managers we can attracts). How will he do outside Serie A? He's been in charge of the now (again) richest club in Italy and been successful on the back of a lot of good signings. How will he deal with being in a league with 4-5 teams with better finances? He seems to prefer a back 3, how would that translate to us(/another team) and another league? Or would he go for another formation?

For me at least I think LvG is in a league of his own of those we can hope to get, with Ancelotti around the same level although I don't think we can hope to get him. Pep and Klopp would be up there at LvG's level for a club like United could they attract them imo.

A fair step down from that bunch to Simeone who has only really succeeded at Atletico, no doubt they've been great, but that's just one club and his methodology there at least has been very specific. How would that translate to another league and another squad, particularly if we're talking about a squad with more high profile established stars like United's? Conte at a similar level for me.

I know Rafa would probably do fine, there's just something utterly unattractive about him to me. Although perhaps he should be the "least possible chance of a complete disaster" option now that I think about it. I think he would do at the very least reasonably well.

That's just it, I'm not sure he would leave Juventus for us. Still, there were rumors that he was being considered by the board back in December/January, which if true (big if) indicates that at the very least he wouldn't be completely opposed to coming here.

I agree with your managerial classifications to a large extent: LvG, Ancelotti, Pep and Klopp are all at the top-level. However, I would put Rafa (strange as it may seem) just a rung or so below them, not too far away. For all the **** he gets (and he does get a lot), his record as a manager, especially of clubs around our current size (Valencia in the early 2000's, Liverpool from 2005 onwards, Napoli this year) indicates that he's been very, very successful at getting his teams punching above their weight when on limited resources. Two successive league titles with Valencia at the turn of the century (breaking the Madrid-Barca duopoly, a massive achievement), A CL and an FA Cup with Liverpool in the middle of the 2000's and 3rd place plus a Coppa Italia final with Napoli in his first season there all suggest that he's very good at what he does. Throw in the cups earned at relatively 'bigger' clubs like Chelsea and Inter, Europa League chief among them, and overall I think you can't argue with the assertion that he is a winner, both in the figurative and literal sense. If there is a concern with him it is that his counter-attacking style of play does not mesh with our 'tradition', but that's a very small negative when you consider that Redknapp was also a fan of lightning-quick counter-attacking football, and he led us into the CL.

Rafa is a great option to have. The 'safe' option, yes, but a great one nonetheless. However, Simeone and Conte have something he doesn't have, which is the hint of massive, massive potential. Conte's unbeaten season at Juve was phenomenal, and you have to consider that his budget wasn't huge when he first came into the job, and the club were also at a low point after the horrendous under-achievement they had witnessed for the seasons that preceded his arrival. That makes his transformation of their fortunes even more remarkable, and his record of continual success and his assembly of a team with an indomitable spirit speaks well of his potential ability to instill into our lads the winning mentality they need. Simeone would be similar, with his immense potential, but he's somewhat unrealistic, the media eye having whisked him beyond our grasp.

They are both risky options, no doubt. Both don't speak English (at least to my knowledge), both are inexperienced outside of their clubs (which suit both of them like a glove given their past connections to said clubs) and both are unfamiliar to the league and are thus likely to use unconventional, potentially disastrous tactics and methods. However, with the risk comes a huge chance of success, and that can't be discarded out of hand imo.

LvG remains the best option, I agree. Rafa is indeed the 'safe' option, and I've been beating my head against the wall trying to tell people that he's a brilliant option to have. Conte, however....if he's available, he would be the risky but potentially spectacular option.

They're all countless leagues above Pochettino and De Boer, anyway.

It doesn't explain where the £150m will come From though

That's the bit I don't understand as the glazers just take money out and the profits invariably are used to service debt

More loans, I suppose. It doesn't really matter, given the likelihood that the Glazers will sell up once some sheikh decides he needs the ultimate 'status' asset within world football: I suspect the Glazers want him to deal with the debts they accrue.

It doesn't explain where the £150m will come From though

That's the bit I don't understand as the glazers just take money out and the profits invariably are used to service debt

They have a massive turnover and make considerable yearly profits. I don't think they'd have a problem changing their loans, getting new loans or whatever to get some liquid funds available.

I was under the impression their loan situation was a lot more manageable now than when they first bought the club anyway?

That's just it, I'm not sure he would leave Juventus for us. Still, there were rumors that he was being considered by the board back in December/January, which if true (big if) indicates that at the very least he wouldn't be completely opposed to coming here.

I agree with your managerial classifications to a large extent: LvG, Ancelotti, Pep and Klopp are all at the top-level. However, I would put Rafa (strange as it may seem) just a rung or so below them, not too far away. For all the **** he gets (and he does get a lot), his record as a manager, especially of clubs around our current size (Valencia in the early 2000's, Liverpool from 2005 onwards, Napoli this year) indicates that he's been very, very successful at getting his teams punching above their weight when on limited resources. Two successive league titles with Valencia at the turn of the century (breaking the Madrid-Barca duopoly, a massive achievement), A CL and an FA Cup with Liverpool in the middle of the 2000's and 3rd place plus a Coppa Italia final with Napoli in his first season there all suggest that he's very good at what he does. Throw in the cups earned at relatively 'bigger' clubs like Chelsea and Inter, Europa League chief among them, and overall I think you can't argue with the assertion that he is a winner, both in the figurative and literal sense. If there is a concern with him it is that his counter-attacking style of play does not mesh with our 'tradition', but that's a very small negative when you consider that Redknapp was also a fan of lightning-quick counter-attacking football, and he led us into the CL.

Rafa is a great option to have. The 'safe' option, yes, but a great one nonetheless. However, Simeone and Conte have something he doesn't have, which is the hint of massive, massive potential. Conte's unbeaten season at Juve was phenomenal, and you have to consider that his budget wasn't huge when he first came into the job, and the club were also at a low point after the horrendous under-achievement they had witnessed for the seasons that preceded his arrival. That makes his transformation of their fortunes even more remarkable, and his record of continual success and his assembly of a team with an indomitable spirit speaks well of his potential ability to instill into our lads the winning mentality they need. Simeone would be similar, with his immense potential, but he's somewhat unrealistic, the media eye having whisked him beyond our grasp.

They are both risky options, no doubt. Both don't speak English (at least to my knowledge), both are inexperienced outside of their clubs (which suit both of them like a glove given their past connections to said clubs) and both are unfamiliar to the league and are thus likely to use unconventional, potentially disastrous tactics and methods. However, with the risk comes a huge chance of success, and that can't be discarded out of hand imo.

LvG remains the best option, I agree. Rafa is indeed the 'safe' option, and I've been beating my head against the wall trying to tell people that he's a brilliant option to have. Conte, however....if he's available, he would be the risky but potentially spectacular option.

They're all countless leagues above Pochettino and De Boer, anyway.

I can't dance with much of that.

I rate Pochettino and De Boer higher than you in comparison, I suppose I see the risk/potential with Simeone and Conte compared to them slightly differently.

I will let you keep you from further flattening parts of your head up against walls over Benitez on my account though. I agree that he's a great option to have, despite my personal distaste for all things Rafa.

i'd love Benitez, but I just don't see us being big enough to get him to leave Napoli, and as for Conte, madness, Juve are football royalty, we are an also ran, that aint happening

They have a massive turnover and make considerable yearly profits. I don't think they'd have a problem changing their loans, getting new loans or whatever to get some liquid funds available.

I was under the impression their loan situation was a lot more manageable now than when they first bought the club anyway?

I can't dance with much of that.

I rate Pochettino and De Boer higher than you in comparison, I suppose I see the risk/potential with Simeone and Conte compared to them slightly differently.

I will let you keep you from further flattening parts of your head up against walls over Benitez on my account though. I agree that he's a great option to have, despite my personal distaste for all things Rafa.

Thank you for supporting the 'Rafa-lution', as Liverpool fans put it. Out of curiosity, what do you see in De Boer and Pochettino that makes you rate them highly? As far as I can tell, De Boer isn't drastically different or special: his Ajax side just lost 5-1 to newly promoted Zwolle in the KNVB Cup final, and hasn't really pulled up trees in Europe either despite possessing a very formidable squad of talent. Similarly, Pochettino's win percentage across his career stands at 33 percent, Espanyol sacked him after he took them near the relegation zone and Southampton's net spend under him has been considerable, to say the least, which somewhat undercuts his best achievement to date, namely that of putting Southampton in a safe mid-table spot.

i'd love Benitez, but I just don't see us being big enough to get him to leave Napoli, and as for Conte, madness, Juve are football royalty, we are an also ran, that aint happening

If Benitez wins the Coppa Italia next month and if Conte wins the EL, then I agree, we've no chance of getting either. However, for now I feel we do. Serie A isn't what it used to be: we openly boo and hiss at managers like Allegri and Mancini despite their Serie A successes with the likes of Milan and Inter, both football royalty in their own right. We've beaten both of those clubs in Europe, and Roma's best player (arguably one of Serie A's best stars last season) came to us and warmed the bench for eight months.

What I'm trying to say is that the status of Serie A (and, by extension, the clubs that compete in it) has collapsed. Conte may be the manager of football royalty, but that doesn't mean much these days. We were only 100 million Euros behind Juve in terms of revenue as of March 3rd, 2014, and that gap is likely to be wiped out come next season as the money from the TV deal is accounted for. Point is, we're not small compared to Juve, at least in terms of income and worldwide exposure. Not anymore.

As for Rafa, Napoli might not want to let him go, but I doubt he wouldn't want to come.

I think Conte is ignored because there is very little focus in the English media on the Italian league, they all seem to focus on the Premier League and La Liga, so the names of decent coaches outside of those two leagues are not known to them/ignored. This for me is why managers like Tuchel and Favre are ignored because despite doing well in their own leagues, only Klopp and Guardiola exist to the media outside of Spain and England (ok maybe Blanc gets a mention here and so does FDB because he is a legend managing at an historic club).

Personally I know next to nothing about their footballing philosophies (Tuchel, Favre and Conte) etc because I have only seen the odd games that their teams have played in but I do agree with Dubai on much of what he has written. I'd be happy to take the risk on any of these if it meant getting somewhere in 2-3 years because I accept that we have to play the long game, that is so long as our football actually shows signs of improvement, which it didn't under AVB and was why I wasn't suprised that he left.

PS: For what it's worth I don't think there is a chance of us getting someone like Conte or Simeone, both have everything they could want where they are and can easily cherry pick what jobs they'd like. Athletico could win La Liga (I think they will) and the Champions League (although for me it's Bayern's). This actually is why Ancelotti might be sacked. Only winning the Copa del rey is likely not enough for them, especially if the are pipped by their cross city rivals.

Last edited:
What makes you so sure it's LvG or Sherwood for us?

It's really a process of elimination. Strip out the impossible, and what's left is the possible. Doing that, I'm left with LvG or Sherwood to Spurs.

> Ancelotti
Before today, I held out hope we might have an outside shot at CA simply because he doesn't seem to like La Liga, Madrid or, for that matter, Real. But after today, he's the no-brainer No. 1 pick for United, so if he leaves RM it's pretty much impossible to see how he comes to Spurs.

> LvG
LvG's sole criteria seems to be: the best job he can get in England. This summer, that will almost certainly mean United first and Spurs second. So I think if he misses out on United, he'll come to Spurs.

> Sherwood
But if we miss out on LvG, who's next on Levy's list? Oddschecker:

1. Allegri
2. LvG
3. Poccetinho
4. Moyes
5. Rafa
6. Mancini
7. FdB
8. Klinsmann
9. Hiddink
10. Malkey Makay
11. Laudrup
12. Ancelloti
13. Prandelli
14. Capello
15. Hoddle
16. Poyet
17. Klopp
18. Spaletti
19. Donadoni
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/...manent-manager

From Levy's perspective, there are significant and legitimate concerns/problems with all these candidates for one reason or other:

No chance: Ancelotti (as above), Klopp (lol)

Not no chance, but basically, no chance: Klinsmann (likes nice life in US and has made that clear many times), de Boer (why come to 6th place, no CL Spurs when he could have his pick of CL teams, including perhaps Barca? Arsenal job next year maybe? Also, has a job he likes at the moment.)

Repeat of Santini/Ramos appointments/mistakes: Allegri, Spaletti

Repeat of AVB appointment/mistakes: Poccetinho, Donadoni

In a job: Rafa (not much sign he'll be sacked, or that he'd bail on a CL team after 1 season to come to Spurs), Hiddink (has new contract with Holland), Prandelli (just signed new contract with Itally to EC '16).

Horrible fit for Spurs/WTF??/Not good enough: Capello, Mancini, Mackay (!?), Laudrup, Poyet, Hoddle, Moyes (I just can't see Levy picking up sloppy seconds/damaged goods from Chelsea and United in consecutive seasons. Plus, it's Moyes.).

So Levy's choice is to take a decision to overcome/live with/ignore the listed problem with each of those candidates...or give Sherwood his 12 months.

The path of least resistance there is to just let Sherwood continue. And I think it's what Levy will do.

So basically I see it as LvG or Sherwood, with the only name on that list who's the slightest other possibility being Frank de Boer if he just decides he wants London and a "project", likes Verts/Eriksen, doesn't get offered Barca, doesn't fancy waiting for Arsenal, hears nice things from BMJ etc. etc. Long, long shot.

It's really a process of elimination. Strip out the impossible, and what's left is the possible. Doing that, I'm left with LvG or Sherwood to Spurs.

> Ancelotti
Before today, I held out hope we might have an outside shot at CA simply because he doesn't seem to like La Liga, Madrid or, for that matter, Real. But after today, he's the no-brainer No. 1 pick for United, so if he leaves RM it's pretty much impossible to see how he comes to Spurs.

> LvG
LvG's sole criteria seems to be: the best job he can get in England. This summer, that will almost certainly mean United first and Spurs second. So I think if he misses out on United, he'll come to Spurs.

> Sherwood
But if we miss out on LvG, who's next on Levy's list? Oddschecker:

1. Allegri
2. LvG
3. Poccetinho
4. Moyes
5. Rafa
6. Mancini
7. FdB
8. Klinsmann
9. Hiddink
10. Malkey Makay
11. Laudrup
12. Ancelloti
13. Prandelli
14. Capello
15. Hoddle
16. Poyet
17. Klopp
18. Spaletti
19. Donadoni
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/...manent-manager

From Levy's perspective, there are significant and legitimate concerns/problems with all these candidates for one reason or other:

No chance: Ancelotti (as above), Klopp (lol)

Not no chance, but basically, no chance: Klinsmann (likes nice life in US and has made that clear many times), de Boer (why come to 6th place, no CL Spurs when he could have his pick of CL teams, including perhaps Barca? Arsenal job next year maybe? Also, has a job he likes at the moment.)

Repeat of Santini/Ramos appointments/mistakes: Allegri, Spaletti

Repeat of AVB appointment/mistakes: Poccetinho, Donadoni

In a job: Rafa (not much sign he'll be sacked, or that he'd bail on a CL team after 1 season to come to Spurs), Hiddink (has new contract with Holland), Prandelli (just signed new contract with Itally to EC '16).

Horrible fit for Spurs/WTF??/Not good enough: Capello, Mancini, Mackay (!?), Laudrup, Poyet, Hoddle, Moyes (I just can't see Levy picking up sloppy seconds/damaged goods from Chelsea and United in consecutive seasons. Plus, it's Moyes.).

So Levy's choice is to take a decision to overcome/live with/ignore the listed problem with each of those candidates...or give Sherwood his 12 months.

The path of least resistance there is to just let Sherwood continue. And I think it's what Levy will do.

So basically I see it as LvG or Sherwood, with the only name on that list who's the slightest other possibility being Frank de Boer if he just decides he wants London and a "project", likes Verts/Eriksen, doesn't get offered Barca, doesn't fancy waiting for Arsenal, hears nice things from BMJ etc. etc. Long, long shot.
Good analysis and one which I would agree with for the most part, except for one thing. Although levy might see similar downsides as you to many of the candidates Sherwood still is a bigger gamble than many names on that list. IMO the gamble is less football related and more to do with marketability of the club. Sherwood is a media timebomb and i suspect the stadium sponsorship is being negotiated and Levy will throw his lot in with a bigger managerial appointment. He'll roll the dice again would be my guess.

I see where Chancer is going because for Levy it could be a case of better the devil you know. There are risks with any of the foreign managers who might not be able to deal with the challenges of the league and we don't want another "2 points from 8 games" debacle and of course Sherwood can indicate to his current progress with another managers players and no pre season. The fact that he has little experience may not matter when most of his contenders have a few blots on their records, in a weird way it could help.

If we want to be negative we can go through Chancer's list and look at the realistic targets and say:

Allegri - Sacked by Milan as they tumbled down the league, no experience in England.
Pochettino - Only one season in the Premier League.
Moyes - See Man UTD.
Mancini - Somehow managed to fail big time with City in his last season there (lets face it they really under achieved).
FdB - Only managed in the Eredivisie.
Malkey Makay - Little top tier experience.
Laudrup - Bad reports from Swansea.
Spalletti - No experience of the league, sacked for AVB.

This is why I can see Levy keeping Tim if he can't get the big name. There are no safe bets and Levy doesn't want to get burned again appointing a relatively young coach . Sherwood is a young coach who he knows, although from a non football side of things Sherwood has shot himself in the foot with his media out bursts.

Last edited:
Back