• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2012/04/12/3029084/tottenham-face-compensation-bill-upwards-of-5m-to-prise

Tottenham face compensation bill 'upwards of ?ú5m' to prise Brendan Rodgers from Swansea

The buy-out clause was inserted into the Swans manager's new contract but it is not a foregone conclusion that Rodgers will be tempted by potential Spurs offer

The Welsh club inserted the buy-out clause ÔÇô equivalent to a transfer fee ÔÇô into the new three-and-a-half year contract that Rodgers signed in February.

The Swansea manager is one of the leading contenders to take over at Spurs in the summer, with the Londoners increasingly resigned to losing Harry Redknapp to England at the end of the season.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy expects No.1 target Jose Mourinho to stay at Real Madrid, which leaves Rodgers and Everton boss David Moyes as the standout candidates to replace Redknapp, given SpursÔÇÖ insistence that the contenders have experience of managing in the Premier League.

Sources have told Goal.com that any club trying to prise Rodgers, whose new deal is worth between ?ú1.5m-?ú2m per year, from the Liberty Stadium will have to pay compensation ÔÇ£upwards of ?ú5 millionÔÇØ.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins insisted upon the ÔÇÿreleaseÔÇÖ package to protect the Welsh club in the event that Rodgers is targeted by better resourced rivals. Similarly, Wigan Athletic had to pay ?ú2m in compensation to take Roberto Martinez from Swansea in June 2009 when they were still a Championship club.

Spurs, who also paid a ?ú5m compensation fee to recruit Redknapp from his former club Portsmouth in October 2008, would not be put off by the buy-out clause should they opt to intensify their pursuit of Rodgers.

It is understood, however, that Rodgers has serious doubts about whether the timing is right for him to accept the challenge of taking charge of a club with Champions League credentials.

In a series of press interviews in recent weeks, the 39-year-old has admitted he would love to manage a marquee outfit one day but has been at pains to stress he has ÔÇ£found a club thatÔÇÖs perfect for meÔÇØ.

A source told Goal.com: ÔÇ£Brendan would be tempted by Spurs but it is not the foregone conclusion that everyone says it is. He is aware that he left Watford prematurely to join Reading and has seen what happened with Andre Villas-Boas at Chelsea.

ÔÇ£If Tottenham were to offer him the job it would be difficult to turn down but he knows his stock will be higher in a yearÔÇÖs time with another yearÔÇÖs experience.

ÔÇ£The club have also genuinely got a great relationship with Brendan. His family are settled in Swansea and he wants to grow with the squad. If he takes Swansea into Europe next season, he will be fighting off the offers.ÔÇØ

Rodgers has won plaudits for producing a team that has carved out results and played attractive football on a shoestring budget but he is regarded by Spurs as a more risky target than Moyes because of his lack of experience in managing big-name players.

Intriguingly, should Spurs miss out on a top-four finish, Rodgers is said to be more tempted by the White Hart Lane job because the expectations will not be as great and he will have an opportunity to make his mark.

The only link I've seen is an article talking about a link, the link being that article itself.
I've seen it mentioned (albeit briefly) in at least two or three different places over the past couple of weeks, although I would expect it's almost certain that they're all of them were just regurgitating the original (made up) rumour.

I've seen his name mentioned a few times in various places, linking him with us, but I really can't fathom why. A big name ex-Juventus player, currently managing Juventus, possibly about to win the league undefeated, in the cup final so a good chance of a double, will get a crack at taking Juve into the CL next season... and he's gonna give that up for an English club, just outside the very top bracket of clubs, that he has no links or affiliation with?

Supposedly according to those in the know he's learning English and wants to manage in the Premier League. The Italian league isn't what it was (its down to 3 champions league places now) and Tottenham reputation has to be favourable there considering our performance against Italian teams last season.

Given the fact that Conte spent 14 years at Juventus as a player and they are currently top of Serie A, undefeated this season, I find the whole idea ridiculous.

He was a disaster at Galatasaray. He currently picking up a huge paycheck managing the Saudi national team. His record there isn't great neither. 3 wins in 11.

do we forget that he started the Barcelona revolution? Ok he is not having a great time now, but at one point there used to be a top manager in there. Maybe he has made bad choices in the jobs he has taken on. I dont think he is a bad manager

Given the fact that Conte spent 14 years at Juventus as a player and they are currently top of Serie A, undefeated this season, I find the whole idea ridiculous.

The main thing would be that he's been dragged into the whole Scommessopoli investigations.
Italian Football is a corrupt mess. It wouldn't be too much of a surprise if he wants out.

In his defence, it is Saudi Arabia

He isn't losing against European teams or anything. Its other terrible asian teams. He lost to Kuwait and could only get draws with the likes of Thailand and Indonesia.
He could even get our of the first group stage in World Cup Qualification. Knocked out of World Cup Qualification 2 years before it starts. Oman qualified for the next round ahead of them.

Modric THFC, i dont think ive seen who you would have IF Redknapp leaves...who are your top 3 choices (top 4 if your number 1 is Mourinho(never gonna happen is it) ) ?

Modric THFC, i dont think ive seen who you would have IF Redknapp leaves...who are your top 3 choices (top 4 if your number 1 is Mourinho(never gonna happen is it) ) ?

There isn't an outstanding candidate. Its a huge gamble. Conte would be a risk, Bilic would be a bigger risk, Rodgers is a risk. Those are the 3 with the most potential to me. Moyes is the safe candidate. The problem with the likes of Rodgers, Martinez or Moyes is I don't think they would prevent a player exodus if we don't finish top 4.

The only player I think we're in any immediate danger of losing is Modric and I don't think that hinges on CL or not.

The only player I think we're in any immediate danger of losing is Modric and I don't think that hinges on CL or not.

You're right. But I think if the wrong Manager comes in and Modric leaves and we haven't qualified for the CL Bale will attempt to get a move too.

There isn't an outstanding candidate. Its a huge gamble. Conte would be a risk, Bilic would be a bigger risk, Rodgers is a risk. Those are the 3 with the most potential to me. Moyes is the safe candidate. The problem with the likes of Rodgers, Martinez or Moyes is I don't think they would prevent a player exodus if we don't finish top 4.

Conte would be the best choice from the players' point of view, since he'll have big-club experience and trophies to his name (most likely). But he started the season playing a 4-2-4 of sorts, and that's what we did with absolutely no success against Norwich. Then he switched to a 3-man defence, which, again, doesn't seem like it would work in the PL. And the 'Spoken English' thing will rear its ugly head again if he doesn't start off well.

While we're dabbling with foreign managers ,what about Rene Girard? Looks like taking Montpellier to the Ligue 1 title, with the meanest defensive record in the championship, having spent a net total of 2 million euros this summer. A bit old, but....

makes me laugh how people get swayed by a person just because they manage a big name club or are foreign, who here watches much of Juventus to truly be able to comment on his style of management ?

Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta, Sienna and now Juventus - with one Siere B league title to his name - if he had been managing in England that'd look like the resume of someone like Martin O'Niell up until last summer

add to that his whole career has been in Italy as both a player and a manager and you start to wonder what exactly the people on here calling for his appointment have been smoking - especially when the same people are most likely dismissive of English managers with the same level of managerial experience (probably even those with more experience)

id also say that most of our players have very little knowledge of who he is (if any) and would in no way consider this a 'big name' appointment

That's the problem, it's common practice for the big clubs in Italy to either promote from within or hire a manager doing well at a smaller club. So they get into a big job at a young age, go par for the course by winning some trophies which is expected when you're at one of the best clubs in the league and then English fans proclaim them to be a top manager just because of their C.V. This just doesn't happen in England, the top clubs would rather go for these managers than say someone like Moyes, who ends up just being stuck overachieving but not actually ever being to to achieve something of note. If Moyes had been managing say Fiorentina, he'd have been in the Milan/Inter/Juve job years ago.

Whats the crack about Brendon Rodgers, hes had a little bit of success with Swansea only with the way they play thats all nothing major, certainly doesn't warrant anyone wanting him as our next manager.

Be careful what you wish for.

Back