• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
There isn't an outstanding candidate. Its a huge gamble. Conte would be a risk, Bilic would be a bigger risk, Rodgers is a risk. Those are the 3 with the most potential to me. Moyes is the safe candidate. The problem with the likes of Rodgers, Martinez or Moyes is I don't think they would prevent a player exodus if we don't finish top 4.

agree about the risk with any manager outside the top names like lets say a Mourinho, Hiddink, maybe Ancelotti, however regarding the player exodus im not sure it will happen this summer if we dont qualify for the CL. Modric is the only problem player. Even so, i wouldnt put it past Levy to keep him hostage for 1 more year. Anyway, if once again Modric is adamant that he wants to go, then let him go. We will get great money, money which Redknapp or the new manager can put to good use. Hopefully.

Whats the crack about Brendon Rodgers, hes had a little bit of success with Swansea only with the way they play thats all nothing major, certainly doesn't warrant anyone wanting him as our next manager.

Be careful what you wish for.

'The crack' is, IMO, what potential Rodgers holds, rather than the achievements he has to date. He has shown that he holds a deep rooted philosophy, of technical, possession based football. A love for the barca way of playing, a genuine admiration for his players. He embeds a system and buys players to suit it, its a big plan, an ideal. There is a lot to admire about him.

'The crack' is, IMO, what potential Rodgers holds, rather than the achievements he has to date. He has shown that he holds a deep rooted philosophy, of technical, possession based football. A love for the barca way of playing, a genuine admiration for his players. He embeds a system and buys players to suit it, its a big plan, an ideal. There is a lot to admire about him.

Agree with this. He also deserves credit for the way he conducts himself in interviews before and after the game.

What does Rodgers have that Martinez doesn't?

Not an aggressive question, just a debating point.

What does Rodgers have that Martinez doesn't?

Not an aggressive question, just a debating point.

Martinez's play nice football but that's it. Rodger's team press the opposition high up the pitch like Bilbao and Barcelona. Swansea aren't gonna get trashed 9-1, 8-0 or 6-0 like Wigan have done under Martinez. There possession football is a defensive tactic (and bores the crap out of a number of people on here).

Personally I don't think Martinez has a great record. He's won just 24.59% of their games. There was a period earlier in the season from September to March that Wigan won 3 games in 28 games.

From what Ive seen of either I think he is more meticulous in his preparation.

Martinez I like, carries himself well and does have Wigan playing well (when on song). Like swansea they lack a genuine goal threat though, which is each teams achilles heel.

It could be that Rodgers has an advantage in that he picked up after the goof work Martinez and Sousa did at Swansea prior, but personally I just get the feeling he is a more 'complete' manager.

It also concerns me that Martinez never seems able to get Wigan playing until they are just on the cusp of the point of no return.

There possession football is a defensive tactic (and bores the crap out of a number of people on here).

Honestly I dont think thats true. I think its more that certain posters dont like the praise Rodgers gets and so react to it. "Boring tippy tappy" football is the best they can come up with.

Sorry, but if Spurs can learn to hold the ball in the way Swansea do I would be delighted

Martinez's play nice football but that's it. Rodger's team press the opposition high up the pitch like Bilbao and Barcelona. Swansea aren't gonna get trashed 9-1, 8-0 or 6-0 like Wigan have done under Martinez. There possession football is a defensive tactic (and bores the crap out of a number of people on here).

Personally I don't think Martinez has a great record. He's won just 24.59% of their games. There was a period earlier in the season from September to March that Wigan won 3 games in 28 games.

Well, they've lost 2-0 to Everton, 3-1 to us, 2-0 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and 3-0 to QPR in the last four games. If that happened with us....?

makes me laugh how people get swayed by a person just because they manage a big name club or are foreign, who here watches much of Juventus to truly be able to comment on his style of management ?

Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta, Sienna and now Juventus - with one Siere B league title to his name - if he had been managing in England that'd look like the resume of someone like Martin O'Niell up until last summer

add to that his whole career has been in Italy as both a player and a manager and you start to wonder what exactly the people on here calling for his appointment have been smoking - especially when the same people are most likely dismissive of English managers with the same level of managerial experience (probably even those with more experience)

id also say that most of our players have very little knowledge of who he is (if any) and would in no way consider this a 'big name' appointment

He'll have a Serie A title at the end of the season by the looks of it. Juventus are currently unbeaten. I like the fact he's a man motivator more than anything else. To me that suits Tottenham more than a tactical manager with a rigid philosophy like AVB and Rodgers.

He'll be considered a big name appointment in the same way AVB was hyped to fudge when he joined Chelsea. The media will latch on the Italian Mourinho tag and run wild like they did AVB.

makes me laugh how people get swayed by a person just because they manage a big name club or are foreign, who here watches much of Juventus to truly be able to comment on his style of management ?

Arezzo, Bari, Atalanta, Sienna and now Juventus - with one Siere B league title to his name - if he had been managing in England that'd look like the resume of someone like Martin O'Niell up until last summer

add to that his whole career has been in Italy as both a player and a manager and you start to wonder what exactly the people on here calling for his appointment have been smoking - especially when the same people are most likely dismissive of English managers with the same level of managerial experience (probably even those with more experience)

id also say that most of our players have very little knowledge of who he is (if any) and would in no way consider this a 'big name' appointment

Well, providing everything goes well, he's going to win a top flight title and the Coppa Italia, all while going unbeaten, in his first season. Not bad for an Italian Martin O'Neill. But I wasn't arguing for him from a fan's point of view. I was merely pointing out that the players are more likely to feel that we're showing ambition if we appoint him as opposed to, say, Brendan Rodgers.

He'll have a Serie A title at the end of the season by the looks of it. Juventus are currently unbeaten. I like the fact he's a man motivator more than anything else. To me that suits Tottenham more than a tactical manager with a rigid philosophy like AVB and Rodgers.

He'll be considered a big name appointment in the same way AVB was hyped to fudge when he joined Chelsea. The media will latch on the Italian Mourinho tag and run wild like they did AVB.

Oops. Sorry mate, didn't see this.

What Modric THFC said. 100 percent.

Well, they've lost 2-0 to Everton, 3-1 to us, 2-0 to Saudi Sportswashing Machine and 3-0 to QPR in the last four games. If that happened with us....?

Thats the flip side though, these results are with Swansea. Look at the ambitious way he has them playing, and imagine how far he could take it with Mordic/VDV/Bale...

If it wasnt for Martinez, GHod knows where Swansea would be right now. He started all what they have now. He took them from Div 1 into the Championship and then established them in the Championship, and along the way they started to play the football they are playing now.

I dont know what more people expect from him at Wigan. Its a terrible club to manage, poor crowds, no enthusiasm in the city for football, no money to spend, 90% of their turnover comes from the TV money, its a friggin nightmare place for a manager. Martinez truly loves the club though, he works all hours trying to keep them in the Premier League, is prepared to fight any injustice against his team like with what happened at Chelsea. He could have gone to Villa in the summer, but found it very difficult to leave Wigan in the lurch.

im not saying he will make the best Tottenham manager ever, however i dont see why he doesnt merit the chance if its ok for the likes of Rodgers, Lambert, AVB, Moyes etc to be mentioned as potential candidates.

as good as he gets his teams playing Martinez doesn't seem to have mastered the art of defending - something which any manager needs in order to make his teams successful - also is something which Swansea fans say is the key difference between him and Rodgers, the main reason Martinez could take them no further

before i would even consider Martinez as a serious candidate i would want him to have shown he has improved this side of his game at another club

Thats the flip side though, these results are with Swansea. Look at the ambitious way he has them playing, and imagine how far he could take it with Mordic/VDV/Bale...

I've seen how he does when things are going well. That's not the issue. I want to see how he does, and more precisely what he does, when things are going badly. Does he stand there, sucking his cheek disconsolately, like our 'Arry seems to be doing lately? Or is he actually proactive and does he try to change things? How he responds when the chips are down will define whether I take him seriously or not. His squad rotation, his ability to manage big stars, his ability to turn things around when everything looks lost...all things that are yet to be proven. He may have done well at Swansea, but, with all due respect to them, we're on a different level. We'll have a lot more games to play, for one, and many of those will most likely be in Europe, plus the cup runs. We'll likely have a lot of egos needing to be salved when 'Arry leaves. We'll have players who will undoubtedly consider themselves on a different level to the ones he had at Swansea. We'll have massive dips in form as well, because after all that, we're still Spurs. Can he handle all of that? At the moment, there's no proof that he can. He's had one season at a fully supportive club where a lot of the groundwork was done by Martinez and Sousa. Let him prove himself before you rush to appoint him a messiah, is all.

as good as he gets his teams playing Martinez doesn't seem to have mastered the art of defending - something which any manager needs in order to make his teams successful - also is something which Swansea fans say is the key difference between him and Rodgers, the main reason Martinez could take them no further

before i would even consider Martinez as a serious candidate i would want him to have shown he has improved this side of his game at another club

you know that Swansea have conceded 13 goals less than Wigan this season? Only 13 despite Martinez's teams not having mastered the art of defending. I like Rodgers, but his team has been lauded by many and yet they are only 8 points better off than Wigan.

Martinez wasnt at Swansea for very long. It was never an issue of him not being able to take them any further. All he achieved for them was in a very short period of time and then he was the one who chose to leave for Wigan. The Swansea fans were not happy, they felt deserted by him, and if they had their way they wouldnt have wanted him to leave.

If it wasnt for Martinez, GHod knows where Swansea would be right now. He started all what they have now. He took them from Div 1 into the Championship and then established them in the Championship, and along the way they started to play the football they are playing now.

I dont know what more people expect from him at Wigan. Its a terrible club to manage, poor crowds, no enthusiasm in the city for football, no money to spend, 90% of their turnover comes from the TV money, its a friggin nightmare place for a manager. Martinez truly loves the club though, he works all hours trying to keep them in the Premier League, is prepared to fight any injustice against his team like with what happened at Chelsea. He could have gone to Villa in the summer, but found it very difficult to leave Wigan in the lurch.

im not saying he will make the best Tottenham manager ever, however i dont see why he doesnt merit the chance if its ok for the likes of Rodgers, Lambert, AVB, Moyes etc to be mentioned as potential candidates.

Excellent post, and that's pretty much my view on it exactly.

I've seen how he does when things are going well. That's not the issue. I want to see how he does, and more precisely what he does, when things are going badly. Does he stand there, sucking his cheek disconsolately, like our 'Arry seems to be doing lately? Or is he actually proactive and does he try to change things? How he responds when the chips are down will define whether I take him seriously or not. His squad rotation, his ability to manage big stars, his ability to turn things around when everything looks lost...all things that are yet to be proven. He may have done well at Swansea, but, with all due respect to them, we're on a different level. We'll have a lot more games to play, for one, and many of those will most likely be in Europe, plus the cup runs. We'll likely have a lot of egos needing to be salved when 'Arry leaves. We'll have players who will undoubtedly consider themselves on a different level to the ones he had at Swansea. We'll have massive dips in form as well, because after all that, we're still Spurs. Can he handle all of that? At the moment, there's no proof that he can. He's had one season at a fully supportive club where a lot of the groundwork was done by Martinez and Sousa. Let him prove himself before you rush to appoint him a messiah, is all.

Cant honestly answer much of that. I am not Rodgers biographer!

Few points though - at Christmas he switched something like 7 players between games (couple of days apart) and won both games in style, in the same embedded system they play - something that really impressed me.

He has spent so much time in Spain studying Barca he has learnt Spanish fluently - this is a guy who understands european/continental football.

He has shown enough for me to take an interest in him. And regardless of whether he ends up at Spurs or elsewhere I shall be following him from now to see how he does

How about Paul Lambert? In just 2 years he took Norwich from League 1 to 10th in the Premiership, only 5 points out of 7th. He's young, he'll be only 43 at the start of the next season. I'd say he's earned the chance to show what he can do with a club big enough to have a worldwide fanbase.

Back