• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I agree with you
For me Fonseca would suit a Spurs style philosophy
I don’t see Nuno playing the attacking way we want
But he is a good manager who has earned his stripes so to speak
Us being more defensive is a worry though as it’s the are with the weakest group of players in the squad

To be honest, I’ve just read The Athletic piece about him. Around the constraints he faced last season (Jiminez injury, fatigue after a deep Europa run and a small squad) and I think I’m fine with him now.

It seems like he had the intention to open Wolves up a bit and evolve them as he knew he needed to beat the bad sides with more regularity if they wanted to puncture the top 6. Here, he will have a deep squad, more finances that he’s used to, but still with enough pragmatism and focus on structure that we need, to help us over perform against the more monied clubs.

I’m actually fully on board with the appointment as long as he evolves the style. The more I read about him, the respect players have for him, the love the fans had for him, he’s quite Poch like for them. (My boss, a Wolves fan actually said he was their Poch). He’ll improve our players, he’ll give youth a chance, and he’s probably earned this job (take out last season and his record would be impressive for sure).

Well Gold has spread so much brick around over the last few weeks that sooner or later he is bound to get s omething right.

Serious question, why do you think everyone is now discussing Nuno as if he is a very serious candidate, versus say a week ago?

I agree it’s complicated. But when Real Madrid stop attracting the best players and competing for the biggest prizes, then we can question their standing in the game. They are Real Madrid. There is no doubt.

With us, we are a club trying to take the leap. Kane signs for 6 years because he believes he could win the biggest prizes here. We’re not a sure thing, so when I say question our standing it’s because there is still a doubt about what kind of club we want to be, and how quickly we want to go for it. I’m not saying a Nuno type coach would be wrong given our constraints, but it does say something.

I really feel that Nuno is a good man, probably suits the club in terms of the type of family atmosphere Levy wants to create. He’ll improve players and game management is strong. It’s the DNA bit that bugs me. Unless he’s going to change his style at Spurs we’ve thrown that bit out the window. And again, I don’t mind doing that too much, other than it feels like Levy and Paratici aren’t totally aligned. We made that statement and then hired a guy who was a good negotiator, but style of football doesn’t seem to mean much now.

It’s not the style as much as the alignment and sense of clarity and strategic thinking I want to see, and that we haven’t seen all summer. Nuno will probably be fine, but the reason a Spurs DNA style coach is important is that fans have more patience with someone trying to play the ‘right’ way. If results turn, I think it ends in a pretty quick execution if the football isn’t front foot.

Nuno instead of Fonseca would make the ‘Paratici wants a more defensive minded coach’ stories make a lot of sense.
I kinda feel people have got nuno wrong.. I think in the interview he gave. What he was actually saying was, once you have a disciplined organised defence it gives you the fluidity to attack.. To be able to move as one unit, allowing you to attack at will.. Something I completely agree with.. Mourinho was defence, defence... Having seen his team before wolves sold some of his best players.. They were scintillating in attack.. Very much in the poch mould.

Serious question, why do you think everyone is now discussing Nuno as if he is a very serious candidate, versus say a week ago?
Because he is the serious candidate right now

what I don’t get….
is why us, Everton and palace are all only going for managers out of work

Which stories originated from Gold? I don't recall him spreading brick, he's pretty upfront when writing about rumours. Maybe our search has just been chaotic.

Come on. We all know there has been a carefully constructed plan in place, that the club have had it under lock and key since late April, and that all reporters have been telling porkies because it's all fake news. How any sane person could think of our strategy as 'chaotic' escapes me...

Come on. We all know there has been a carefully constructed plan in place, that the club have had it under lock and key since late April, and that all reporters have been telling porkies because it's all fake news. How any sane person could think of our strategy as 'chaotic' escapes me...
There doesn’t have to be a connection between whether Spurs have mismanaged their recruitment of a manager and whether the media have massively overplayed their hand in what they know.

Our manager search hasn’t been ideal whatever way you look at it. But it is also apparent that reporters, including those who some appear to hold in high regard have been flat out wrong several times, for whatever reason.

Ali Gold as an example didn’t break any of these stories, but was quite happy to claim Conte, Fonseca and Gattuso was close - No one has said this is all fabrication, merely that there were likely some form of talks with all these potential suitors, but not to the point that we were on the verge of completing a deal.

Around five managers all on the cusp of signing and then miraculously the ‘deal collapsed’ each and every time? Sorry but just no. You can believe that if you want but the far more likely story is that journos have got carried away in how far down the line we were with these guys in order to get their click throughs…..

There doesn’t have to be a connection between whether Spurs have mismanaged their recruitment of a manager and whether the media have massively overplayed their hand in what they know.

Our manager search hasn’t been ideal whatever way you look at it. But it is also apparent that reporters, including those who some appear to hold in high regard have been flat out wrong several times, for whatever reason.

Ali Gold as an example didn’t break any of these stories, but was quite happy to claim Conte, Fonseca and Gattuso was close - No one has said this is all fabrication, merely that there were likely some form of talks with all these potential suitors, but not to the point that we were on the verge of completing a deal.

Around five managers all on the cusp of signing and then miraculously the ‘deal collapsed’ each and every time? Sorry but just no. You can believe that if you want but the far more likely story is that journos have got carried away in how far down the line we were with these guys in order to get their click throughs…..

Absolutely spot on. There is a middle ground to be found in this debate and I think you have pretty much nailed it here.

Bang on mate!

It seems quite credible to me that talks broke down after initial contact. I think that Gattuso was definitely overplayed but talks with Conte and Fonseca went on for longer.

I can't believe people are targetting 5-7th place, thats the mentality we have. Yes there are 4 squads better than us but we should absilutely be starting the season aiming to be in the top 4 and doing all we can to get there. I hope the players have more optimism than this board or it's going to be a long season. Despite how poor we were last season we were technically (I agree not emotionally) in contention right up to the last few games. Look at how many late goals etc we conceded, definetly have a chance of getting in there especially if fans are allowed back.

Because he is the serious candidate right now

what I don’t get….
is why us, Everton and palace are all only going for managers out of work

Because due to covid most clubs are struggling financially. It costs £millions to buy someone out of their contract.

I honestly love that they'll splunk an insane amount of cash for Sancho, as I think he's very overrated, and they don't really need him. They have good options in that position.
He is exactly what we need on the right IMO
I think he is a super player
Intelligent and effective

Because due to covid most clubs are struggling financially. It costs £millions to buy someone out of their contract.
It doesn’t though as managers break contracts regularly (or they did)
And a quality manager is worth much more than a new signing. The right manager for example may be able to get the Hojdjberg, Tanguy, Lo Celso axis working

Back