• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

You’d like to think that but arguably we’ve had a couple of situations where we have been doing well, certainly against initial expectations and Levy has acted in a way where he thinks we can take an extra step and perhaps gives the squad more credit for the progress than the manager. Redknapp for AVB, Poch for Mourinho

None were doing well at the time they were sacked. Even mourinho.

Redknapp had got us to 4th, only missing out Champions League because of Chelsea winning it.
The year the team defended out a draw against Villa to hold 4th rather than go for a win and take 3rd?

Still, I'd imagine a manager who had a bonus structure based on 4th place rather than CL qualification would be happy with that....

None were doing well at the time they were sacked. Even mourinho.
In both cases they’d delivered top 4 at the end of the season and neither successor did. Different scenarios entirely but they are the only ones that have done it and both times I feel Levy held them to the new higher benchmark they had created.

They also benefitted from taking over at a low point, so perhaps more patience was afforded? I’d say mourinho leaves us with the feeling that maybe top 6 and having an attractive style of play isn’t that bad, which is not that far off the situation that redknapp and Poch found themselves in, whereas AVB and Mourinho were expected to maintain top 4 at a minimum.

Its more complicated than that, it wasn’t that long ago that Madrid appointed a manager we had just sacked. I don’t recall their standing being questioned.

I agree it’s complicated. But when Real Madrid stop attracting the best players and competing for the biggest prizes, then we can question their standing in the game. They are Real Madrid. There is no doubt.

With us, we are a club trying to take the leap. Kane signs for 6 years because he believes he could win the biggest prizes here. We’re not a sure thing, so when I say question our standing it’s because there is still a doubt about what kind of club we want to be, and how quickly we want to go for it. I’m not saying a Nuno type coach would be wrong given our constraints, but it does say something.

I really feel that Nuno is a good man, probably suits the club in terms of the type of family atmosphere Levy wants to create. He’ll improve players and game management is strong. It’s the DNA bit that bugs me. Unless he’s going to change his style at Spurs we’ve thrown that bit out the window. And again, I don’t mind doing that too much, other than it feels like Levy and Paratici aren’t totally aligned. We made that statement and then hired a guy who was a good negotiator, but style of football doesn’t seem to mean much now.

It’s not the style as much as the alignment and sense of clarity and strategic thinking I want to see, and that we haven’t seen all summer. Nuno will probably be fine, but the reason a Spurs DNA style coach is important is that fans have more patience with someone trying to play the ‘right’ way. If results turn, I think it ends in a pretty quick execution if the football isn’t front foot.

Nuno instead of Fonseca would make the ‘Paratici wants a more defensive minded coach’ stories make a lot of sense.

Redknapp had got us to 4th, only missing out Champions League because of Chelsea winning it.

The last 13 games that season we had 4 wins. 4 draws and 5 loses. Also knocked out of the fa cup. Whilst backing redknapp during his tax court case. He also refused a contract because he wanted the england job.

Last edited:
I agree it’s complicated. But when Real Madrid stop attracting the best players and competing for the biggest prizes, then we can question their standing in the game. They are Real Madrid. There is no doubt.

With us, we are a club trying to take the leap. Kane signs for 6 years because he believes he could win the biggest prizes here. We’re not a sure thing, so when I say question our standing it’s because there is still a doubt about what kind of club we want to be, and how quickly we want to go for it. I’m not saying a Nuno type coach would be wrong given our constraints, but it does say something.

I really feel that Nuno is a good man, probably suits the club in terms of the type of family atmosphere Levy wants to create. He’ll improve players and game management is strong. It’s the DNA bit that bugs me. Unless he’s going to change his style at Spurs we’ve thrown that bit out the window. And again, I don’t mind doing that too much, other than it feels like Levy and Paratici aren’t totally aligned. We made that statement and then hired a guy who was a good negotiator, but style of football doesn’t seem to mean much now.

It’s not the style as much as the alignment and sense of clarity and strategic thinking I want to see, and that we haven’t seen all summer. Nuno will probably be fine, but the reason a Spurs DNA style coach is important is that fans have more patience with someone trying to play the ‘right’ way. If results turn, I think it ends in a pretty quick execution if the football isn’t front foot.

Nuno instead of Fonseca would make the ‘Paratici wants a more defensive minded coach’ stories make a lot of sense.
I agree with you
For me Fonseca would suit a Spurs style philosophy
I don’t see Nuno playing the attacking way we want
But he is a good manager who has earned his stripes so to speak
Us being more defensive is a worry though as it’s the are with the weakest group of players in the squad

Back