• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I don’t get the fascination with lower club managers who have their team “well drilled”. If they come to a big club they may not have the dedication of the superstars like they do with the hungrier players at the lower end clubs. Look at Poch, he had to pretty much do a complete overhaul to get the dedication he needed and even then it wasn’t enough.

If we want to go to that next level we first need the players to do so and then the manager with a winning meteorology that wants to dominate games and who can handle big players.
Only a handful of managers get the top jobs, so over performing with less resources is an avenue to find candidates, in some ways I’d prefer this to a candidate who only wins their domestic league with a far superior budget to the rest of the teams, who’s predecessor and successor will likely do the same.

There definitely is a challenge and risk in terms of changing jobs to operate with bigger budgets, bigger squads, higher expectations, playing in Europe midweek and potentially different egos in the players but the players are also transferable between these expectations and lower clubs too.

The winning mentality is an interesting one, Klopp lost 6 finals but has the most competitive league and the CL under his belt now.

It’s been good to see the likes of Ancelotti and Benitez manage non CL clubs, sometimes the best managers in the world can only achieve so much with the budgets they have and the number of league positions you can improve a team is a bigger indicator of the difference a manager is making.

If anything the real scandal is ex players getting their first job at an elite club, rather than proving their managerial worth and being promoted into it.

I don’t get the fascination with lower club managers who have their team “well drilled”. If they come to a big club they may not have the dedication of the superstars like they do with the hungrier players at the lower end clubs. Look at Poch, he had to pretty much do a complete overhaul to get the dedication he needed and even then it wasn’t enough.

If we want to go to that next level we first need the players to do so and then the manager with a winning meteorology that wants to dominate games and who can handle big players.
Because over performing versus your budget and expectations can only be seen in a good light. It's why Poch was poached from Southampton and why he was lauded here despite winning zilch here.

The coaches that have won titles are nice to attract but all of them start somewhere and if you only ever go for someone who has done it all already you're likely to be shopping in a pool of has been.

Whilst I like managers to be judged on their budget and club expectations, what are the wonders Potter has worked for Brighton? As it stands they could still be relegated and if the team that replaces them in the table is Fulham, would that not mean Parker has worked greater wonders with a newly promoted team who have continued to improve over the course of the season?

!

My thoughts as well, he has done a decent job but Parker has done just as well with lesser players.

I don't think anybody would be doing better?

(actually, AVB probably would, but that's just me)

If we run this season 20 times with all managers in the league in charge I'd be absolutely amazed if this wasn't in the bottom 25% of performances.

In fact you could completely remove the managers role and let the players have at it each game and it'd likely be better.

I don't think anybody would be doing better?

(actually, AVB probably would, but that's just me)
You on one fella
I think we’re still in the realms of horrendously weak players mentally. That’s a long way form changing
But there is 100% a divide between the manager and the players
And it’s back to why we sacked Poch... it was easier than getting a load of new players

If we run this season 20 times with all managers in the league in charge I'd be absolutely amazed if this wasn't in the bottom 25% of performances.

In fact you could completely remove the managers role and let the players have at it each game and it'd likely be better.

Agreed. Its not as if we're playing to our players stregnths. If your defence is weak, you're better off keeping the ball even if just to reduce the number of attacks which the opposition has against your crap defence

Agreed. Its not as if we're playing to our players stregnths. If your defence is weak, you're better off keeping the ball even if just to reduce the number of attacks which the opposition has against your crap defence

have you seen anything lately to suggest that we can keep the ball?

You on one fella
I think we’re still in the realms of horrendously weak players mentally. That’s a long way form changing
But there is 400% a divide between the manager and the players
And it’s back to why we sacked Poch... it was easier than getting a load of new players

what’s the definition of madness?

have you seen anything lately to suggest that we can keep the ball?

We have enough players who can pass a ball. GLC, Ndombele, Dele, Reguilon, Bale, Hojgjerg, Lamela (after 10 touches), Son, Kane, even Toby....there's enough footballing ability at the clb

We have enough players who can pass a ball. GLC, Ndombele, Dele, Reguilon, Bale, Hojgjerg, Lamela (after 10 touches), Son, Kane, even Toby....there's enough footballing ability at the clb

I expect we’ll see this put to the test very soon.

Back