• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Could this change happen earlier than we think - only one man has a bigger hard on for mourinho than levy and that is florentino perez.

Madrid are about to lose at home to levante so maybe perez gives zidane the boot and comes calling for mourinho.

An honest chat between levy and mourinho could see them agree its for the best - spurs simply dont have the tools for mourinho to build one of his great sides of the past.

Would be classic levy for this to happen and get the likely big compo to release him.

Then go all out for nagelsmann.

And When Nagelsmann can’t play high tempo high press with a midfield that includes Sissoko or winks?

And When Nagelsmann can’t play high tempo high press with a midfield that includes Sissoko or winks?

We'd sign players so that he could. Most of RB Leipzigs transfers are in the £10m-£20m bracket. He could sign the same sort of players, or more expensive, than he has before

Contrast with Jose who is used to having the best of the best

We'd sign players so that he could. Most of RB Leipzigs transfers are in the £10m-£20m bracket. He could sign the same sort of players, or more expensive, than he has before

have a guess who RB’s DOF is.....

he’s the main transfer guy.

Good to see some people are supportive and remain confident in Jose. No reason to dismiss that stance as the wrong one, whilst an opposing view isn’t necessarily due to a longstanding agenda or knee jerk reaction to one game.
I was supportive of Jose’s appointment. I loved Poch and was torn as I feel we owe him a lot and he raised expectations. I thought Jose mid season would be a shot in the arm for a squad that appeared to have lost belief. With the injuries to Son and Kane, last season was acceptable and an improvement on where he found us.

Style of football is not as important to me as results. Whilst I took the question as an ‘if and when he goes, who would you like’, I’m not sure it’s realistic to think he would go now. Maybe it depends on your half full, half empty view.

So the positives would be some good results against top teams, the Kane and Sonny partnership, the signings of Reguillon and Hojbjerg. The tough love effect and turnaround of Ndombele. The cup runs and being in touch for fourth. Other than Liverpool we haven’t been tonked.

The negatives for me is the approach. Not aesthetically but the fact it doesn’t change regardless of the situation - we’ve let leads slip against lesser teams, we haven’t gone at teams once going behind. Our cup runs are a little skewed with a few average performances against teams from lower divisions.

I’m sure judgement on Mourinho by Levy will be reserved until the end of the season, but it’s not unreasonable to question our trajectory as we approach a big couple of weeks. From what I’ve seen, I just don’t have the confidence or blind faith that everything will be ok, just because of Mourinho’s track record - although it would be fudging sexy for us to be the only club that he has managed to pick up a trophy or qualify for CL at! I really hope I’m wrong but I feel it will require a few mourinho masterclasses to pick up the results we need without Kane in the next couple of weeks.

I think that you make an interesting point about German managers. I think that Mourinho will be with us for at least another 18 months. I think that you are right that the style of play could be found out or about to be found out by that point.

I think it's fairly likely. The pandemic will have a lot of downstream effects we can't quite predict for years, possibly decades to come. But one of the most vulnerable aspects of modern football seems to me to be the all-aspect high press, which relies on a combination of deep, expensive squads bought into the system, the emotion of crowds to drive players forward and levels of player fitness nearly impossible to maintain for long periods.

All of those supporting aspects will be taking major hits, and I think that may hasten the tactical cycle away from such high-commitment approaches in time.

Tbh, I think the ongoing success of Atletico this season proves that deep defenses and quick counters, when implemented well, are already showing up more press-oriented systems. The foundational logic behind our crab-like approach is sound. You just need it properly implemented by a decent manager - a title which I think the fool in charge lost a while ago in the haze of his own ego. Nothing he's done shows me he's a genius - quite the contrary, actually, getting constantly shown up by Klopp and sitting on his behind for 75m in games where we're under the cosh on account of being outplayed by SU, Palace and Fulham.

Where Jose is concerned you have a closed mind on him as you posts mainly show. Fine that is your opinion. Repeat, repeat, repeat its obvious to some ( not just me) that you never wanted him here and never slow in having a dig at him.

I have no idea if we will win anything with him ( and neither do you) but some have already made their mind up and want him gone, if you need any proof of that do yourself a favour and read back through this thread that was started by another poster who dislikes him.

Criticism is not having a dig mate, this is a message board where people can post their opinions and discuss what's going on.

I don't have a closed mind on him i jusy don't think he's doing a good job or that he's shown anything to suggest he'll turn it around - and I've explained and discussed why. If he does then great and if someone's able to argue why I'm wrong in the meantime then I'm all ears.

Also, in terms of suggestions for a replacement for this lump, maybe Marcelo Gallardo from River Plate or Marcelino from Bilbao?

Gallardo is basically South America's Ferguson, from what I understand - led an unfancied River Plate to glory in Argentina and the Copa Libertadores again and again. Marcelino is a damn good manager who won the Spanish Cup with Valencia and (last week) the Super Cup with Bilbao. He's only just joined Bilbao, but maybe he'd be open to moving next year?

Both are risks because I doubt either speaks English very well. But with Gallardo especially, he seems like the kind of manager we can only hope to attract when he's a risk - once he proves himself in European football, he's out of our reach.

Until he fades and becomes an utterly mediocre grump sustained by past glories, anyway - which Mourinho seemingly is now.

I dont know about that as he would have to get to grips with over inflated UK players who are valued and prized higher than their German counterpart.

Criticism is not having a dig mate, this is a message board where people can post their opinions and discuss what's going on.

I don't have a closed mind on him i jusy don't think he's doing a good job or that he's shown anything to suggest he'll turn it around - and I've explained and discussed why. If he does then great and if someone's able to argue why I'm wrong in the meantime then I'm all ears.

I think that we should also remember that the argument in favour of Mourinho from some was that he would have an immediate impact on a good squad who were just being held back by a lack of winning mentality (which Mourinho would provide). It turns out that the last manager wasn't doing so bad after all.

I think that we should also remember that the argument in favour of Mourinho from some was that he would have an immediate impact on a good squad who were just being held back by a lack of winning meteorology (which Mourinho would provide). It turns out that the last manager wasn't doing so bad after all.

So again what's the point in another manager coming in if its some of the main players that are not all that.

No manager in the world can polish some of the turds we have playing in the starting line up. The overall quality of impact players coming off the bench never fill me with their ability to change or influence the match.

The only players that play regularly that would play in an ideal world are:

Kane
Son
PEH
NDombele
Reguilon

Decent players/ can do a job:
Lloris (but I would happily replace)
Sissoko
Lo Celso (looks like a perma-crock at the minute)
Davies
Alder (on his last legs though)
Bergwijn

Players that can go:
Dier
Aurier
Winks
Lamela
Moura

Jury out on:
Vinicius (needs minutes)
Doherty, has not really shown the same quality at wolves
Rodon, no need to judge at this minute.

So again what's the point in another manager coming in if its some of the main players that are not all that.

Jose is a cheque book manager; he needs genuinely top quality players, but we cant spend £100m-150m each year on players

Look what Villa, Everton and Leicester have done on smaller budgets and inferior players. We need a manager who can make players better, install a system and work with players who aren't all £80m players. That isn't Jose. (and thats before you get on to style)

Jose is a cheque book manager; he needs genuinely top quality players, but we cant spend £100m-150m each year on players

Look what Villa, Everton and Leicester have done on smaller budgets and inferior players. We need a manager who can make players better, install a system and work with players who aren't all £80m players. That isn't Jose. (and thats before you get on to style)

Won the champions league with Porto.
Spend €21mil on 56 players.

1st stint at Chelsea.
Spend €371mil on 62 players.
Highest fee: €44mil Shevchenko

Won the champions league with Inter.
Spend €164mil on 80 players.
Highest fee: €28mil on Milito

Real Madrid.
Spend €187 mil on 21 players.
Highest fee: €35mil on Luka

2nd stint at Chelsea.
Spend €360 mil on 98 players.
Highest fee: €38 mil on Costa.

Man utd.
Spend €466 mil on 26 players.
Highest fee: €105 Paul Pogba.

I think you can see that he has spent money at Chelsea, Real, and united who are money pits, average cost per players signed.

However his average cost per player the two times he won the CL he didn't actually have a massive outlay on cost per player.

Just some food for thought.

Easy to brand him a cheque book manager, but if you look at the clubs where he has splashed the cash, they splash the cash regardless.

He has made some of our players better though. Hugo, Aurier, Davies, Dier, Ndombele, Kane and Son have been better since he arrived IMO. The problem for me is that our attacking play looks very disjointed and our defence looks susceptible unless we pack it.

Ive also been massively disappointed in Jose’s inability to change a game because at other clubs, he seemed to be able to do that whenever needed.

He looks a shadow of the manager he once was. I remember a game in 2005/6 away to Everton where Chelsea were 2-1 down to Everton with around 10 mins to go and I’m looking at Mourinho thinking he won’t let his team not win this game. And they won 3-2 through sheer bloody mindedness. It’s a good number of years since I felt Jose had that sort of influence. I hoped he’d recover it here but it’s not happening.

The argument that the squad isn't good enough is a load of crap. Bar City and Liverpool our squad matches up to anyone else's in the league.
It is comfortably a top 4 squad and saying it is not good enough is just making excuses for Mourinho underperforming with it.

Back