• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Funny, now hearing Ten Hag being touted as likely has me feeling apprehensive where as before he was in my shortlist...
I had the same feelings about Poch at the time. When doing a shortlist of managers i’d have liked he was on it, yet the moment he looked likely and became favourite I started to doubt it!

Funny, now hearing Ten Hag being touted as likely has me feeling apprehensive where as before he was in my shortlist...
Any manager has his drawbacks. He would get us playing in an attractive manner, which in itself is good enough for me. I don’t buy the lack of experience in the PL thing, most of the best coaches in the PL have come from abroad. And I’m sure he knows plenty about the PL. I think he would fall into the Poch category, of not being a household name but a forward thinking coach that would be a good fit for us if both the fans and the board share his vision and show patience as this squad needs plenty of work....

Think you’re onto something there. Seems the most likely to me now.

Last summer was the big turnaround, working on a new team?

“Well that started much earlier. In March 2018, I was in Southampton with Marc Overmars to talk to Dusan Tadic. My analysis about last season was clear. We lacked balance in the squad, in that important age group of what I call the middle category. Players with experience, but also with desire. We didn’t have any.”

http://dutchsoccersite.org/the-big-erik-ten-hag-interview/

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Good read that, I like the cut of his jib !!

Anyone we could get that wouldn't make you apprehensive? (genuine question BTW)

I liked them a lot in the CL that year, obviously don't watch Dutch football. Exciting style, seems good at working with and developing younger players.

Seems like a good fit, but obvious questions about stepping up to a bigger league and bigger names, ability to implement a functional style with our squad etc. Can't say that I can point to a better option though.

Anyone we could get that wouldn't make you apprehensive? (genuine question BTW)

I liked them a lot in the CL that year, obviously don't watch Dutch football. Exciting style, seems good at working with and developing younger players.

Seems like a good fit, but obvious questions about stepping up to a bigger league and bigger names, ability to implement a functional style with our squad etc. Can't say that I can point to a better option though.
That step up would be the same for any manager

That step up would be the same for any manager
There might be some realistic options that have been at our or a similar or even higher level in the past.

If it's a choice between having that experience or otherwise being a better fit (playing style, working with younger players, developing players, limited transfer budget etc) I'm not sure that experience is the most important.

Why would he be the next de Boer? Aside from being Dutch and male.....
Wasn’t he raved about at Ajax as well with similar record of winning the league?

so Dutch, male, similar age, winning Dutch titles, managed Ajax in a similar era...

i think it’s worth the question isn’t it?

edit: I’m not saying I’m against it at all, the more I am reading the more I’m liking, just wondering what differences there are to a similar managerial candidate that failed in the Prem.

Wasn’t he raved about at Ajax as well with similar record of winning the league?

so Dutch, male, similar age, winning Dutch titles, managed Ajax in a similar era...

edit: I’m not saying I’m against it at all, the more I am reading the more I’m liking, just wondering what differences there are to a similar managerial candidate that failed in the Prem.
It's a good question...

I think the way they played in the CL perhaps sets Tan Hag apart a bit. But small sample size with a handful of CL games against top teams. Really thought they looked special though. Using his style in the biggest games against top teams, that's impressive.

Other than that I would love to hear other opinions as I don't follow the league at all.

There is an argument to be made that he managed Ajax at a time when the there was less competition in the league. As soon as there was he finished behind PSV twice and has been rubbish ever since.

Also that Ten Hag has more of an education having managed behind Pep in Germany and at a lower level team and been relatively successful there. And he is man who got Ajax back to where they are now. He's also lost some major players and still managed to keep Ajax performing.

It’s not a similar situation really. De Boer took over Crystal Palace, a squad littered with journeyman and not a big amount of footballing ability and tried to get them playing in a total football style that they weren’t capable of. We have far better footballers suited to this style....

Good read that, I like the cut of his jib !!

You get the impression he might be able to use Ndomble and structure the team to suit the player's abilities. Sjame we can't get all 3: Ragnick, Potter and Ten Heg :)

“Well like I said, the players’ qualities determine how you play. Take Frenkie de Jong. We have really been looking to find ways to use his skills in the best manner. Where can he play best, for the team and to showcase his talent. Everyone was screaming: Frenkie is the biggest talent, etc etc. Well yes. But, where? In midfield? Ok, but which role? His quality is that he makes the forwards perform better. He is a wanderer, an adventurer, he’s always on the move, like a shark. With the ball, often, but also without the ball. So if you put him on 6, he’s away too often. But you need to give him freedom, otherwise you can’t the best out of him. It wasn’t an easy puzzle, so I dediced to play with two number 6s and only one attacking mid. And in this way, we can also dominate the half space, and force opponents to choose. So on the first day of pre-season, that is how we started. And we started without Frenkie, by the way, as he wasn’t fit at the start of the pre-season.”

It’s not a similar situation really. De Boer took over Crystal Palace, a squad littered with journeyman and not a big amount of footballing ability and tried to get them playing in a total football style that they weren’t capable of. We have far better footballers suited to this style....
Yes and no. Better than Palace, but some real weaknesses.

Want to build from the back, play through pressure. GK not great with his feet, several centre backs that are limited on the ball. No real natural deep playmaker. At the very least issues with consistency and options at full back.

Want to press high. Several star attackers that are in their late twenties and failed to press well in the latter stages of the Pochettino era. Most talented midfielder has limited stamina. Most athletic midfielder is severely limited on the ball. Centre backs that can't defend in a high line.

Expectations will be top four and attacking football. Getting anything similar to the Ajax playing style will be a big challenge and there won't be much patience. Our squad is lacking balance and not really set up for any particular style imo. If we can succeed in the market (in and out) and new players settle quickly, sure. But that's a challenge.

Then there are issues about mentality, if present. Star players at least possibly tempted to leave.

There are positives too, a lot of them. The right man can surely do great with this squad and some key additions. I want us to go in that direction, I want us to try more of a Pochettino approach. But it's some job.

There is an argument to be made that he managed Ajax at a time when the there was less competition in the league. As soon as there was he finished behind PSV twice and has been rubbish ever since.

Also that Ten Hag has more of an education having managed behind Pep in Germany and at a lower level team and been relatively successful there. And he is man who got Ajax back to where they are now. He's also lost some major players and still managed to keep Ajax performing.

One challenge with Ten Hag could be the structure. He works under a DoF at the moment but at Spurs his support will be a chief scout (Hitchen).

Depending on how much independence Overmars has at Ajax in signing players (vs ETH coaching the coach), Ten Hag's responsibilities at Spurs might be a lot more than he has now. Therefore as well as adapting to a new league, he'll have more on his plate.

I guess some combination of Powell, King and Mason might support him (along with one or two of his current assistants) wiht the day job but Ten Hag is going to have more on his plate than he does today

One of the articles linked earlier said he was manager/DoF at Utrecht so presumably he has some grasp of that side of things

Would be funny if Levy has lined up Ten Hag but is waiting to see if PSG throw away the title and get knocked out of the Champions League first.

Poch only has about 6 months left on his contract doesn't he?

Back